View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Hardware that came on the boat
Randyman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/10 - 3:11 PM

Comments: 0

Let Me start off by introducing myself and saying Hello! My name is Randy, I am 23, and I live in central Florida. I acquired my classic 13 about a year ago and have been restoring it(with help from a buddy who worked for Sea Ray for many years). It will be hitting the water for the first time since being in my possession within the next couple weeks.

I have been all over this site as well as continuous wave trying to identified a couple of pieces of hardware that came equipped on the vessel.

The first set of hardware I am trying to identify is located in the front 1/3 of the boat on the rails. The parts are brass plates with a hole approximately 3/8 to half inch. They appear to be for oars and I have seen them on other Boston Whalers but haven't seen the part identified. The reason I question this is because they seem to be quite far forward to me.

The other set of hardware that came on it were a couple of stainless cleats that were quite small about an inch and a half long. I do not believe these are original and cannot find them listed anywhere but would hate to toss them if they are original. I would post pictures of these but I took them off around the time that I acquired the boat and currently don't remember where I stashed them. When I find them I will post pictures.

One more question. On the port side gunner rail at the back near the transom I have a vertical hole ~3/8 inch which I can't figure out a purpose for. My first thought was stern light but then that doesn't make sense (i.e. wiring would go to the outside of the boat) and I would figure it would be on the starboard side anyhow.

Any help is much appreciated.
Happy Whalering

chrepp
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/10 - 4:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Those are for oars. Don't ask me why they are so far forward. Don't know about the stainless hardware. The hole was/is for wiring. I've still got some wires there. Do you have a similar hole at the bow light?

rogerhoward
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/10 - 5:59 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 4

Yeah, those are oar lock holes... my 13' had them too, but they were in bad shape and during restoration I decided they weren't worth trying to replace (too difficult) and most likely pretty useless (I love to row, but a whaler is most definitely not a row boat). So I dug them out and filled the void with a block of wood and fiberglass/resin. Don't expect I'll miss them.

Randyman
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/10 - 2:24 PM

I figured that's what they were for.

I don't have a hole at the bow light, which is another reason I disregarded the thought of it being the stern light.

I found the hardware and they are a bit bigger than I remember, but still small. They are three inches long.

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/10 - 3:23 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The first item are the Oar Locks.

The second item is not original but may have been for some type of canvas top or someone installed them to tie their fenders to.

The third item may be the spot for the junction block for the stern and bow lights.
You don't mention the year of your boat but various years had these on different sides.
What side of the boat is your stern light on?
Again, not knowing the year of your boat and you did not list it in your profile, we don't know if the wires ran under the rub rail or in the hull itself.

Members are encouraged to put their Location and their Boat Info in their profile as this helps us from guessing.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ad_id=8119

Let us know what you have.

EDIT:
There are many members with 13' models that have a personal page on our site.
Scroll down to the 13' models here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65

And here is a 1971 13' that has the Oar Locks installed just like my prior 13'.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=15669

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/28/10 - 3:54 PM

Randyman
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/10 - 4:53 PM

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this post. At the time I was not sure of the year of my vessel because of someone had painted over it and I wasn't sure of the original placing of the HIN. I just recently found it and have discovered it is a 1969.

The cleats were installed just above the step in the sides that hold the benches/rails in the front half and have come to the conclusion someone put them in for their own personal purpose. I'm almost definite now that they may have tied their fenders to it.

It currently doesn't have a stern light

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 10:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
futuredauntless
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,110
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,557,014 unique visits