View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Cooler placement on chocks of 85 Outrage
chipmiller2000
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 1:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

The 94 qt Igloo cooler/seat in front of my console sits partially on top of the wooden chocks. This has caused the corners of the cooler to become dented in and cracked. I am wondering if the cooler is supposed to sit on the deck and the chocks just keep it from sliding from side to side. Can anyone describe the proper placement for me?
Thanks.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 1:51 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Sounds like you either have Montauk cleats or very early Outrage cleats.

However, I never had any problems with either version on my prior Whalers and they were installed correctly.

The 1985 Outrage 18' should have these type of cleats.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=40

The cooler sits on the floor and the nose of the cleats stop it from going forward.
The console stops it from going aft.
The bungee cords stop it from bouncing.

The cooler sits on top of the Montauk cleats on a Montauk.
This was designed because the floor slopes upwards at the sides and the cooler had to be high enough to clear the sloping sides.

There are drawings available in the downloads section for both the Montauk and Outrage cleats.
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...?cat_id=13

chipmiller2000
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 6:04 PM
Personal Page

Thanks, Joe. When I got my Outrage back in 2005, the cleats were very deteriorated. I downloaded the drawings you have referenced and had them made from mahogany but I must not have them installed correctly. Do the larger ends of the cleats go toward the console? I have mine toward the bow. Since you also have an '85, will you set me straight?

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 6:30 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Sure Chip,

The bungee cords go to the outside.
The wider section is the front.
The wider section wraps around the outside front of the cooler and prevents it from sliding forward.

I would set the cooler on the center of the floor where you think it will go and then lay down the cleats so the front piece wraps around the front of the cooler.
You can then slide the cooler and the cleats froward or back to get the position you want. The cooler does not have to be all of the way back touching the console but the cooler should be touching the front of the stops on the forward part of the cleat.

I see one of your photos in your personal page looks like you have the cleats properly located but it is hard to tell if the cooler is sitting all the way on the floor which it should.
http://www.whalercentral.com/images/p...481rev.jpg

I would even leave about an 1/8" gap between the cleats and the cooler. The cooler doesn't have to be tight in the cleats. The toe pieces of the cleats keep it from sliding to far forward and the console stops it from sliding too far back. The bungees do the rest.

chipmiller2000
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/10 - 8:44 AM
Personal Page

That is what I needed to know. I obviously have the cleats mounted too tight against the cooler. Much appreciated, Joe. I just completed the sanding and re-oiling of all my teak and plan to post new photos within the next couple of days. 10 coats of Daly's Seafin Oil and it is looking far better than it ever has in my 5 years of ownership. Headed to the Gulf of Mexico in NW Florida next week. May be the last time the water and beaches are pristine oil-less for many years.

nbhs66
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/11 - 7:38 AM

My 1986 18' Outrage has the 94 qt. Igloo cooler sits on the deck with the chocks supporting the perimeter. I replaced the original 'wooden' chocks with fabriced 'Starboard' chocks. Much happier. Can supply picture.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 8:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,269,913 unique visits