View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
interesting sunday
jaxmyth
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/10 - 8:53 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

well it started off a great day. my wife actually asked " can we take the boat out" 97 degrees. hot and we needed some creek time. took the montauk out for a cruise, had the neighbors son with us . he just got back from army boot camp and we wanted to show him a good time. well, we cruised down the creek, found a nice little place to beach the boat and hang out for a little while, we were having an awesome time until some moron with more money than sense decides he wants to brush the lilly pads right off the beach with his 32+ cabin cruiser on full plane.. so needless to say, our boat, being that its beached, has nowhere to go. takes a full wake over the transom. yep, a ton of water in the boat. my wife was freaking. i told her to stay on the beach while my neighbor and i pushed off, started the motor, pulled the plug, and proceeded to empty the boat. returned the plug and drove the boat back to beach dry as a bone. when we got back and showed her what our boat is capable of, she has a little more warm and fuzzy about the boat. it was a lot of water. the confidence this boat allows is great. maybe i just need to start scheduling my days off during the week. too many crazies out on the weekends. hope everybody elses weekend was as fun, if not as eventful.

awayland
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 7:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Last year I was putting my boat on the trailer and this happened to me. I'm amazed there wasn't two jet skis following him jumping his wake. There's a moron up here that does this up and down the river all afternoon and I think it's his kids riding the jet skis.

The whaler should allow you to escape the morons, I can motor into about 12-18 inches of water or less. Maybe they'll try to follow you into the shallow water then you'll get a good laugh.

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 7:33 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Yep, I've certainly experienced the guy with "more money than brains" before. Last year we had a guy in a 27' Sea Ray do the same thing. He'd launch his boat and then another truck would pull up with a few jet skis on it. I swear, no matter were we went on the lake, this guy found us and he was making the biggest wake he could so the jet skiis behind him would be able to get as much air as possible. I've yet to see this clown on the lake this year though.

Always look out for the other guy as you'll never know what stunt they'll pull off next. "keep your head on a swinvel" is an old adage I heard over and over again during my time in the Navy.

Edited by CES on 06/15/10 - 7:34 AM
Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 8:48 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I slowed down for Marine salvage (Sea tow) heading my way on Sunday while navigating a narrow marked channel, as we passed each other with 12 feet between us (at dead slow) a boat cut between us at full cruise from behind me, as if that was not bad enough, another idiot followed him right between us. About 1/2 a mile down the channel I saw the first boat broken down with the operator frantically waving his hand's for help, with his wife and infant on board (no pfd's on of course). A good example of "YOU get what you give" !

Matt

John Fyke
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 8:55 AM
Personal Page

I was towing a guy who sunk his jetski in a no wake zone which was so heavy with water I could barely move. Then this idiot in a 25' open fisherman cruises past us full throttle. Mind you we were in a no wake zone. Pushed us right into the shore.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

zappaddles
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 9:57 AM

Comments: 2

Guess this thread proves me wrong on 2 counts:

1) I thought salt water boaters were a better class of boater.

2) I thought Lake Lanier (in north Georgia) had the market cornered on @#$@&% boaters.

Vince Zappia

CES
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 11:07 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Vince,

I've had the pleasure to boat with those "winners" on lake lanier many times in the past....I know what you're talking about.

Cliff

Menemsha69
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 1:30 PM
Personal Page

The trick is to stay off Lanier on the weekends! Most folks out there on the weekends have more money than sense! Spend a little time at any ramp and you'll see some amazing stuff. Amazing that we only have two or three deaths a year! -k

John Fyke
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 1:50 PM
Personal Page

Menemsha69 wrote:
The trick is to stay off Lanier on the weekends! Most folks out there on the weekends have more money than sense! Spend a little time at any ramp and you'll see some amazing stuff. Amazing that we only have two or three deaths a year! -k

That applies in most cases anywhere but the working guy only has the weekends.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Menemsha69
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/10 - 2:36 AM
Personal Page

This "working guy" is lucky enough to have a job where I work every other weekend, and have plenty of weekdays off! I fished yesterday, and watched a guy jacknife his trailer, he came very close to folding it up underneath the back of his truck! Always something! -k

Edited by Menemsha69 on 06/18/10 - 2:38 AM

bmw90w
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/10 - 8:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have been around a boat my whole life, so I am usually the one laughing at idiots at the ramp. However as talked about before, boating can always make us turn back into rookies. I was launching my jon boat (my buddy backed me down the ramp while I was in the boat). I do this all the time with my wife, and she sits in the bow and floats off the trailer with the strap detached. I for some reason got in the back with the strap detached not even thinking. Of course halfway don the ramp the boat tilts back and slams on the ground. I thought for sure my outboard was toast, but it just kicked up like we hit a sandbar. No damage to anything, but everyone got a good laugh including myself. Boating can b very humbling!! The good news is I caught a ton of fish on the chattahoochee!

Lake Lanier is chock full of inconsiderate boaters though!!

1984 Montauk

NTxWhaler
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/10 - 11:47 AM

Comments: 3

Idiots abound...on the lakes,rivers, & seas,and we can't forget the streets either...

Tharsheblows
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/10 - 2:32 PM
Personal Page

Remind's me of a natucal poem I was taught long ago.
"Here lies the body of Solomon Grey, Who died defending his right of way, He was right, dead right as he sped along, But now he's just as dead as if he was wrong"

Surf Betty
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/10 - 9:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I Love the poem!

CES
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/10 - 6:03 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

This "working man" has tomorrow off. I think I'll round up my kiddo's and take them and the Whaler to the lake for Fathers day.

Cliff

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 9:06 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,512,590 unique visits