View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Southsound (Puget)
jgkmmoore
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/07 - 5:08 PM

Comments: 2

Several years back we got really 'tapped out' on the San Juans and Gulf Islands, having been in every gunkhole from Seattle to Alert Bay (N end Vancouver Island)so many times. We always lived on the anchor, visiting marinas for only hot showers and ice/water.1 boat coves to 200 boat bays.We needed something different. We went to 'Southsound', and discovered some absolutely gorgeous area. Nobody was there!! You could pick up a public mooring bouy at 7:00 pm on a Friday night, even if there were only 3 in the bay! Amazing.
The best kept secret there (my opinion) is Lakebay on a windless day.When we were there, the moorage was at the end of a crescent shaped bay,had kind of shaky older floats (walk at your own risk), and an old general store/marina/tackle/ice place at the head of the ramp up from the floats.Went in and bought popsicles/ice cream bars for the kids from an older(my age now) owner.The water was crystal clear, and the kids grabbed prawns off the kelp sheets floating off the docks.Turn your watch back 50 years! Delightful day!!! There were few homes,all older, and no other commerce. Does anyone know if it is still the same?? Such a sylvan place....the silence was deafening. We didn't go into Longbranch, but it looked intriguing too.If any of you have been there lately, would you PM and update me? Will probably daytrip in there sometime this summer, and will so note on this board in case anyone would like to join us.Last time to that area, we went in our 1978 21' banana boat and stayed at Jarrells Cove with only 6 other people!!! Beautiful place when no one is there.

Doug V
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/07 - 9:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

The South Sound is a wonderful area. I live just about as far south as you can get, in Mason County. There are all kinds of cool cruising spots. It is not as secluded as it was 20+ years ago, but still pretty quiet. Jarrels Cove can get pretty busy on warm weekends, but fall weekends are nice and quiet, as are spring weekends.

Doug Vazquez

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 9:57 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,453,145 unique visits