View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Transom Mounting a Kicker with TrimTabs on an Outrage 18
Silentpardner
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/13 - 7:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have run into a problem. I don't think that there is going to be room to mount both my main engine and my kicker directly on the transom in a way that will clear my trimtabsSad

Anyone resolve this problem before? I really would like to keep the tabs, they are great for trolling in moderate seas...

I have searched this site and another looking for pictures of engines and trim tabs together on an Outrage 18, still can't find any, and there does not seem to be any discussion. I did find a good example of this mounting on a 22', but the beam on a 22 is 3" wider than my 18.

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 6:29 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

No space to mount a kicker with tabs and very few people have tabs on the 18 foot. Besides yours i can only think of two or three others and one is mine. I am actually struggling to see if a simple trolling motor will fit without getting in the way.
http://s136.photobucket.com/user/kams...=3&o=0

Edited by kamie on 04/14/13 - 6:31 AM

Silentpardner
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 10:59 AM
Personal Page

This sounds crazy, even to me, but I wonder what would happen if I had a narrower trim tab, say only 9" wide instead of the 12", on the side of the transom that the auxillary motor was mounted on in order to allow clearance of the auxillary when turned? I wonder if I could compensate for surface area by over-adjusting the angle of the tab on that side to achieve the same result as the other side's force upward or downward on the bow and stern of the boat? Iwould be interested in your thoughts on this, as I understand you are also thinking about this auxillary/trimtab combo problem.

Edited by Silentpardner on 04/14/13 - 11:00 AM

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 11:59 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

The difference is, I am looking to mount a small trolling motor that I will be able to remove. If I have too, i will just lay it on the deck until i get close to where i need to sneak up on some fish and then deploy the trolling motor. The trolling motor will really be for my 13 but it's not done yet and i want to go fishing.

How about mounting the kicker on a bracket to get it out and over the tabs?
This is the bracket Binkie made for his trolling motor, I know a kicker is heavier and then you will have to solve the steering issues.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...ser_id=802

Edited by kamie on 04/14/13 - 12:03 PM

Silentpardner
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 12:52 PM
Personal Page

In my research, Boston Whaler recommends direct transom attachment for auxillarys originally when the boat transom was equipped with a much lighter, (by 100lbs), primary engine. When I add the 100 lb heavier motor to the transom, then add a 50 lb heavier auxillary beside it, I fear over-stressing the transom design capacity. If I use a bracket to mount the auxillary, such as the one Binkie did, I would be adding even more stress to the transom by exacerbating the weight through leverage created by the distance from the transom that the auxillary is placed from it, just like using a prybar to move an otherwise immobile object, I would increase the forces exponentially that act on the transom when banging thru the ocean or even the lakes on a windy day, not to mention the forces exerted when trailering. I have to do a lot of trailering with my boats here due to the distance from the coast to my home area.

Incidentally, this was the solution to the problem that my boat guy came up with also, and I am still considering it, but I don't want to jump on this solution if there is ANY other way to get around it. That would be an absolutely last resort solution if I find that I absolutely have to have the tabs.

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 1:04 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Even though this model doesn't have trim tabs, take a look at the article we have on a fixed kicker motor bracket.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...cle_id=111

Some Whalers can't have the kicker mounted directly on the transom due to the design.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/14/13 - 1:06 PM

Silentpardner
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 1:34 PM
Personal Page

Kamie,
I don't know if this helps any, but my 18 didn't have a bowbit on it when I got it, and I found out why pretty quickly when I got ready to add my electric trolling motor to the boat. I was able to use the wood/metal plate under the fiberglass of the bow that was designed to securely attach the bowbit to secure a hockey puck for quick installation and removal of my MinnKota Riptide 70 I-pilot trolling motor. If you look at the recent project pictures I have posted on my personal page you will see this puck mounted to the boat right on the bow center, as we had not removed it when the photo was taken. When that trolling motor is mounted on the boat, I have NO concerns if I hit something with it, that reinforcement that it is bolted in will not allow any damage to the boat, it might completely destroy the trolling motor, but the boat will hardly notice the bumpSmile It is my opinion that this is the only suitable place to mount an electric trolling motor on my boat outside of directly to the transom. I chose not to mount my electric on the transom due to the performance issues with thrust from the stern as opposed to thrust from the bow.

Joe, will do!

Edited by Silentpardner on 04/14/13 - 1:35 PM

kamie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/13 - 4:05 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

At this point, i have accepted any limitations of the transom mounting because i want to easily switch between boats. The trolling motor i am looking at will rotate 180 degrees allowing it to be mounted on a the bow with a proper mount

FishNFF
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/13 - 9:51 PM

Comments: 0

I ran a Yamaha 9.9HT alongside my 115 Yamaha 4 strike and 12" Lenco trim tabs.
I've since since sold the kicker, but often mount a Minn Kota 80lb RipTide in its place on the Port transom.

No clearance issues whatsoever.

FISHNFF

tom blinstrub
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/13 - 7:06 AM
Personal Page

An electric trolling motor has a shaft only about a inch thick. Cut a slot in the trim tab so the shaft will fit into it.

Silentpardner
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/13 - 5:16 PM
Personal Page

FISHNFF wrote:
I ran a Yamaha 9.9HT alongside my 115 Yamaha 4 strike and 12" Lenco trim tabs.
I've since since sold the kicker, but often mount a Minn Kota 80lb RipTide in its place on the Port transom.

No clearance issues whatsoever.

FISHNFF

Thanks! That is the exact setup I am going for here. I told the boat guy that it would fit, I have it on good authority!
Do you happen to have a picture of that setup? If I had one I could prove it...

BillDemers
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/13 - 6:12 PM

My boat came with a retractable mount for a kicker made by Garelick marine products. It clears my trim tabs. I don't have the kicker with the boat now but I saw the boat with the kicker installed and operated it before I took possession of the boat. There was also a tie rod that linked the kicker with the main for steering.

BillD
1999 Dauntless 18' - 135 Mercury Optimax

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
October 6, 2024 - 7:33 PM
Visit our Sponsors
Nauset Marine - Whaler Parts and Accessories

Wm. J. Mills and Co. - Boston Whaler Canvas

Specialty Marine - Parts and Accessories

Carver Covers - The Best Covers Under The Sun

Click on logo to visit site
View all Sponsors Here
Users Online
Welcome
Comets88
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,380
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,637
· Sport 13 1,366
· Outrage 18 555
· Nauset 16 403
· Sport 15 365

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.29 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 86,426,595 unique visits