View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1970 katama parts
jschmidt63
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/06 - 7:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

anyone have any ideas of where to find front seats, in front of console, for this model?

John

jschmidt63
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/10/06 - 6:00 AM
Personal Page

anyone, any suggestions???

Should I just fabricates seats or buy something and shove it in there?

ALSO. I ordered the windscreen for this model from mills canvas but I missing some grometts (notice the holes). Can you buy and replace grometts easy enough??

[img]http://www.lpda.net/john/boating/js-bw-front.jpg[/img]

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/11/06 - 8:55 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

jschmidt63,

I have seen the seats for sale before on eBay. Other than that, the original seats are very hard to come by. I have never heard who were the original manufacturers of these seats were. If you find out, please let us know.

jschmidt63
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/06 - 8:35 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Joe, been looking on ebay but no luck.

I think what I am going to do is build a custom low bench seat out of marine plywood with a cushion lid with storage inside. Could always use some more storage space.

capewhaler
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/07 - 1:24 AM

Comments: 1

I'm a new member with an old Whaler... Best I can figue it's an early 70's Katama. I'd like to replace the Windscreen, where is this Mills canvas and how expensive. As to the seats, mine are a hard molded plastic, with no padding. Not 100% sure if they were orignal. I would also like to find out if there are any plans available to build an orignal type drivers seat/bench? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

IpswichWhaler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/07 - 3:12 AM
Personal Page

Mills Canvas doesn't have email (that I can find) so you simply need to do a search and get the # from their website.

I also have an older hull which I am putting the Katama console into. I intend to contact Mills to order a windscreen also.

And ahhhhh... my console has the original front seats! But sorry... I am keeping mine Smile

Just out of curiosity... what do these consoles go for? I have to admit... mine is in MINT condition. I will reveal my cost after some responses Wink (almost didn't buy it but my son said we had to... glad he pushed!)

IpswichWhaler attached the following image:

[62.58Kb]
Edited by IpswichWhaler on 05/02/07 - 3:18 AM

jschmidt63
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/07 - 5:10 AM
Personal Page

to help with the mills canvas question, I think I paid about $270 for my katama windshield. I had to send it back and get another one and set the snaps myself, just didnt work with my snap positions.

Also, FYI, I bought stock seats from someone who saw my post, 50 bucks for two, hope to install soon.

As for the console, just spent last weekend filling the many old holes in mine with marinetex, wish mine was mint condition. But that wouldn't be consistent with the rest of my boat. As for the cost of a console, not sure but I would expect they are wort a good amount, fairly big. Although I have seen many cases of folks removing the stock console for a smaller center console. I love the storage area with stock console but it is a tight squeeze.

I also removed my bow rail, just gets in the way with flyfishing.
Anyone want a bow rail for cheap???

[img]http://www.lpda.net/john/boating/LA-11-24-06-lr.jpg[/img]

IpswichWhaler
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/07 - 10:52 AM
Personal Page

Looking at some older pics I may have to take back my claim to have original seats! Mine may not be original. But then again, maybe they are. In any case, I'll keep them and leave well enough alone.

Is that your boat? looks nice! $270 for the windshield... ouch! As for what I paid... $225. The original owner wanted the Nauset console and sent away for one at a cost of $1,500 (he has deep pockets).

When I mount the engine, attach the rubrail, and figure out a seat (original Katama seat didnt come with the console, rats!) I'll post a new pic.

Good luck!

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/07 - 11:36 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Does anyone have any photos for the original front seats for the Katama?
I would like to add them to the OEM Parts Photo section.

jschmidt,
I would like to add your Katama model to the Model/Year Index section.
What year is your Katama?

IpswichWhaler
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/07 - 8:06 AM
Personal Page

This is not my boat but the pic shows the same seats that I have. I did see some different ones on a boat for sale on Ebay down in Barnegate NJ. I will find the pic and post it also.

Update... the auction must have ended or I simply cant find it.

IpswichWhaler attached the following image:

[32.51Kb]
Edited by IpswichWhaler on 05/03/07 - 8:31 AM

jschmidt63
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/07 - 4:27 PM
Personal Page

Ipswitch

If you looked at my whaler up close you would see she needs work, but she still floats and the motor is good. In time she will get better. I think I paid 270 but cant remember, it maybe was a little less. It was during a sale at Mills Canvas.
Got lucky on the stock seats, someone emails me.

As for a pic of stock seats, I saw the same boat you were lookin for on the web, its gone. I downloaded some of the pics at home computer will upload later.

Joe, I purchased my whaler advertised as a 1970 katama. I am pretty sure it its but going to confirm with sn if that is possible.

John

Edited by jschmidt63 on 05/03/07 - 4:28 PM

Joe Kriz
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/07 - 4:33 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Ipswitch,

The fronts seats in that photo do not look original to a Katama. At least not the ones I have seen.

I will post the original seats once we find a good photo....

jschmidt63
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/07 - 7:28 PM
Personal Page

Ipswitch/Joe

I found pictures of a Katama FS that was on the web. The seats look stock but the windshield obviously isnt.

Also below are pics of the seats I purchased that are stock from a katama owner that converted to center console.

[img]http://www.lpda.net/john/boating/6b95_3.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.lpda.net/john/boating/6e63_3.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.lpda.net/john/boating/Picture-kat-st.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.lpda.net/john/boating/Picture-kat-st-2.jpg[/img]

Joe Kriz
#14 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/07 - 8:13 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

jschmidt,

Yep, those are the Katama seats as I know them....
That's great you found a pair.

Is it alright with you if I use your photo for the OEM Parts section?

IpswichWhaler
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/07 - 5:11 AM
Personal Page

Yup... that is the whaler I saw on Ebay. It looks to be in good shape from your pics. With a new windscreen it would have been probably stock!

As for the seats, I am kind of curious why the seats on my console look exactly like the ones I found on another console. The console I purchased was from an old blue blood here in my town. I am sure he purchased it new. If the seats are aftermarket they must have been very common for another whaler owner to have purchased them also.

I wonder how many years they made this console? Could the seats have been updated towards the end of its production years? I guess I am hoping that they are original in the end Wink Either way I am happy with the console purchase... now to save up for the windscreen

BTW Joe... I think your boat looks great! My 16' was a project started one year ago. I purchased the hull and rails alone... nothing else for $750. I am adding the hardware now, just purchased the console (less the seat.. working on him for that alos!), Teleflex steering, Evinrude 70, deciding on the controls and need to install the rubrail. When it is done I will certainly post a final pic. One thing mine has that yours doesnt show in your pic are the stress cracks Sad. It wont be perfect at first but it will be a lot of fun!

Edited by IpswichWhaler on 05/04/07 - 5:23 AM

jschmidt63
#16 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/07 - 9:58 AM
Personal Page

Joe

You can use any photos I posts thats for sure.

Ipswitch, if you are referring to stress cracks, lordy I have my share in my Katama. I consider it part of the characterGrin

Would really enjoy seeing photos of your boat as you start to put it all together

thanks

John

capewhaler
#17 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/07 - 5:51 PM

jschmidt63,

I had tried to PM you but did not see any reply. Just wondering if I did something incorrectly. Anyway I was wondering if you serious about selling your bow rail, and if it was complete with mounting hardware? If so, I like to discuss. Either PM or post. Thanks

jschmidt63
#18 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/07 - 8:05 PM
Personal Page

capewhaler

Sorry didnt see your post

Yep serious about the bow rail, price negotiable but really not sure if I can ship this thing. Its like a big metal pretzel that cant break down.

In central Va.

John

capewhaler
#19 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/07 - 1:40 PM

John,

I sent you a PM. According to someone who has delt with these bow rails, Whaler has always made this bow rail in three seperate peices which are joined under the T's with a tube that fit's inside the rail and is secured with the screws of the T's. If you can get it apart, it might be easier to ship. I think UPS will take it but it might be an Oversized item. Let me know.

Jim

capewhaler
#20 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/07 - 4:46 PM

John,

Any luck with the bow rail? Any update with the shipping? Let me know if I can be of any help in getting this shipped. Thanks

Jim

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 12:43 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.29 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,699,620 unique visits