View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bottom Paint Cost - 15 foot Boston Whaler
Ray Jones
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/26/18 - 4:00 PM

Comments: 0

Can anyone please tell me what I should expect to pay for getting bottom of boat painted. It has no chips or cracks, just want it to look real good. Live here in Ohio. Thanks

Edited by Phil T on 02/27/18 - 4:43 AM

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/18 - 6:18 AM

It depends on too many variables to guess. Is the hull currently painted with anti-fouling paint? If so the cost should be minimal. If not I'd guess three times the cost of an already painted boat. Applying another anti fouling paint coat or two to a 15 footer is a pretty simple job easily done by most owners. I recommend Petit Hydrocoat or the West Marine equivalent.

For new anti-fouling paint the bottom has to be sanded so paint will hold to the surface. Boston Whaler recommends an epoxy barrier coat be applied before anti-fouling paint to protect the bottom from osmotic damage. Thus the extra cost.

If your boat is not yet painted why do you want to paint it?

Butch

EJO
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/18 - 7:01 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

For somebody to paint it is a question of how much they charge per hour. Professional would probably charge you a day.
Like Butch said if your boat is painted already then it is a simple DIY job easily done in a weekend which would include getting supplies, prep, and applying paint.
Interlux, Pettit and West Marine all make good bottom paints but I would chose the hardest formula available in the anti fouling paints.

Same question as Butch if it isn't painted, why?

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

crbenny
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/18 - 7:09 AM
Personal Page

Ray, listen to what the guys are saying, please. To give a quick analogy; 40 years ago a '69 Camaro was just a car.. People would mount snow tires in the winter and maybe even put a trailer hitch on it. And why not, it was just a car and there were thousands of them out there. If you found an unmolested '69 Camaro today, with original paint and rust free, you would not put snow tires on it and drive it all winter! Don't put snow tires on that boat! There are plenty of 15 Whalers out there that are already painted. Sell it or store it and find one with paint.

Chris

Ray Jones
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/18 - 2:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the input....I just bought this boat a few weeks ago...the bottom towards the front has some discoloration. It's not bad but if you look you can notice it, this is the reason I was wanting to paint it. I really don't know what I'm doing....I really, really do like this boat. At my age I can't see me going under it to paint it, if that is what it needs. I guess I'll have to find someone that has one and have them look at it. Thanks everyone.

BeachWhaler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/18 - 7:10 PM

Great post as I’m looking at doing the same thing. A boat shop here locally in So Ca quoted my 13’ $900, $330 for supplies and a couple days labor. I would like to do this myself and try to save money but have no knowledge yet, so I’m surfin the net. My little whaler will be staying in the water here in the Harbor.

butchdavis
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/18 - 6:17 AM

Ray -- You should consider a good detailing job on the hull before making the decision to apply bottom paint. If, like me, you are an old guy you can hire someone to wash the boat and compound it with particular attention to the discolored area. Follow that with a good wax job with quality wax such as Collinite. I would not allow anyone to use a power buffer for the work unless they are professionals.

At the end of the day if you decide to apply paint you don't need to apply an expensive barrier coat and anti-fouling paint. Just a decent brushable topside paint will hide any discoloration.

Good luck ad enjoy the Whaler.

Butch

EJO
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/18 - 9:25 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

As for beachwhaler yes if you are not trailering and leaving your boat in a salt water harbor it might be a good idea to put an antifouling on it. Being a 13' you should be able to find someone to help you turn the hull over on a couple of saw-horse and do it yourself. Your engine can't weigh that much taking it off. One of your buddies or a son(in-law) that always want to go boating with you could help.

The 15' of the OP is probably a little more difficult to turn over yourself but like Butch said start with a good wash and compound/wax job first maybe could be done by a kid or grand kid. Is the discoloration due to a waterline? or is it caused by another factor?

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Ray Jones
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/18 - 11:41 AM

See, I told you all I didn't know all that much about this 15 footer. I never thought about buffing and waxing the bottom. Yes Butch, I'm an OLD guy...in my 70"s but I am just crazy over this little boat. Want it to look soooooo good. Putting in new wood....new lights. Really just what I can do. But I do thank you for the buffing and waxing idea....I will try that first.. I have some friends that do custom cars and I will talk to them.

jgortva
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/18 - 3:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hello Ray,
I believe your, "staining" to be stains from the boat being left in the water for an extended period at one point. You can use or pay for a marina to lift your boat off the trailer on jack stands or Styrofoam blocks and spray the hull with muriatic acid and the stains should disappear. This will work much better as buffing will not get rid of water or algae staining but the acid will. if it does not come off with this treatment then you can try to buff and wax. I leave my Whaler in Lake Michigan each season with no bottom paint and it looks brand new after using the acid. Then just rinse with water and then re wax the hull. The acid will not harm fiberglass plastic or blacktop driveways. It will damage, however concrete driveways and painted or galvanized trailers. That is the reason for the jack stands or Styrofoam blocks.

Jim G.

Ray Jones
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/18 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for the input. All you guys have been soooooo very helpful I feel like I have known you all all my life. These body shop guys know about plastics and acids from working on corvettes and other ones. Going to try and get to them tomorrow. Thanks again guys.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 12:40 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,706,292 unique visits