View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Finding tunnels on Boston Whaler Montauk 190-2011
JackMuffin
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/18 - 3:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Boston Whaler Montauk 190-2011
Drawings state that my boat has 3 tunnels from the console to the back of the boat.
Drawings are found at: http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat-ownership/resources/ see “electronics installation page 3”, “fuel system installation” page 1 and 2”.
Two are on the right side and the third on the left side of the boat under the floor.

It happens that a mechanic has filled up one of the 3 (on the right) with the two tubes of the hydraulic helm and perhaps more stuff and has apparently lost all the existing cords of the boat.
Since I have to install more things (a kicker and a new fishfinder), I need to use the 2nd and/or 3rd tunnel.
How can I locate the second tunnel from inside the console?
About the third tunnel on the left I see no trace.
Can anyone shed some light?

PS I cannot access my boat right now because it is located in a garage at the sea really far away from my house.
I am just planning operations.

Thank you

JackMuffin
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/18 - 5:03 AM
Personal Page

No answers? I can't believe!

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/18 - 5:27 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

There are not three tunnels, rather one. The two others are merely sections of wire loom sitting on the tank. The reason for the loom is most likely to shield the wires from the fuel tank as a safety mechanism.

It is clear from the "fuel tank cover sub assembly" page 1 diagram, there is no way to access the two port side loom runs.

If me, I would de-rig the console and lift the lid and redo the wiring.

All the contents in the tunnel should NOT be tied or bundled together, rather loose and independent. No wire loom.

When you are done, find a different mechanic.

Edited by Phil T on 02/02/18 - 5:29 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

JackMuffin
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/18 - 6:30 AM
Personal Page

Thank you Phil, kind of you.

JackMuffin
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/18 - 1:28 AM
Personal Page

Time has passed and I am still stuck with this problem.
It arises in these days as new equipment has arrived (two big transducers) and there is no way to have them to go through the tunnel.
A (new) mechanic is suggesting -as you did- to de-rig the lid, put things on order and to close everything.
Question is: the de-rig operation is it a complex one? I am not happy to dismount the boat, but I think I have no other options.
Suggestions and hints are welcome.

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/18 - 10:57 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

When i removed the floor in my 1991 Outrage 17, I had to:

Remove the RPS (take out of boat)
Remove steering cable from helm

Unhook throttle cables from shifter
Disconnect neutral safety switch harness from shiffter

Disconnect:

3 engine harnesses for gauges
main battery wires
GPS sounder wire
VHF attenna
Bildge pump wires from switch

Note that my wiring/rigging was NOT the standard factory standard so it was a bit more complicated.

To assess the effort for your boat empty the console of gear and stick your head in and look at all the harnesses that go into the boot and tunnel. Trace them to the source in the console.

When derigged, there may be room to move the console forward and leave in the boat.

If DIY, I would estimate the effort to take 8 hrs. Five (5) to derig. and 3 to re-rig and seal up the deck again for someone who has basic mechanical ability.

Questions?

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

JackMuffin
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/18 - 1:28 AM
Personal Page

Seems to me it is a bit complex.
I have to think it over very well.
No questions for now, probably a lot, later!
Thank you.

ferdinando
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/10/18 - 8:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Jack, sorry for the late reply, I to also lost my strings for the rigging tunnel, the only way I was able to resolve my problem was with an inspection camera so I could guide a snake into the tunnel and pass the string to the rear of the boat. A 10 minute job took me almost 3 hrs to resolve, but I couldn’t have done it without the camera!

acassidy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/11/18 - 3:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I agree run a snake to the back of the boat and pull the cables thru. if the wire are bundled at the entrance or even inside you should be able to pull more wires thru. I cant imagine the tube being complete full.

DO you have an original depth find that has a wire already in the tunnel? Pull a 5-50 cord or rope or something while pulling the old fish finder wire out. Attach new fish finder cable back and pull thru. What are you pulling thru for the kicker? Is it remote control? Fuel lines should all be attached in the rear of the boat.

If the mechanic put a large tube in the tunnel, I cant see it completely feeling the tunnel. If the tunnel is larger you may be able to pull your new wires thru the tube. That tube may be just at the entrance.

Sometimes it is very challenging but is always doable to run new wires thru the tunnel. It is not as hard as it seems. There is more space in there than you think. And the wires will not get claustrophobic. Problem is getting hung up on something. Having two people helps one on each end and if it gets hung up pull back and forth until it goes.

Plan B would be do what others have said and pull the tube out and pull all the wires back thru

Plan C does your boat have an internal tank. I thought all older Montauks have external tanks. If so then you could pull all new wires from the stern to the console thru the tank area and let them lay on the tank.

Split the fuel line from the outboard for the kicker.

Dont forget to lube up your cable for the run and also pull a new string thru for a later pull. 5-50 cord works great for this.
Archie

EJO
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/18 - 12:14 PM
Personal Page

Archie please explain what a 5-50 cord is. I'm familiar with a USB type 550 cable but have no idea what a 5-50 cord is.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

acassidy
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/18 - 3:22 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

No problem 550 paracord is a staple in the military used for everything. Called five fifty cord. 550 means whole cord carries 550lbs and each internal strand holds 50lb by its self. It is common for people to pull the inner cords and make steering wheel wraps, key chains or bracelets etc.. with the outer piping cord. Comes in all types of colors. Cut and melt the ends with a lighter. Great stuff. Thin, super strong and versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=550+cord

Marine surplus stores always have them. Lowes and Home depot do too. Basically a military grade parachute cord. But you can buy and use for anything.

i always have some on the boat and in my work shop.

They also make a smaller 330 cord.
Archie

Edited by acassidy on 10/12/18 - 3:24 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 2:53 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,693,305 unique visits