View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Lifting a 13' - our new tender
BrianSmith
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/17 - 7:35 AM

Comments: 0

Brand new member, and brand new Whaler owner - haven't even picked it up yet. It's a 1979 13' that we'll be using as our tender .We live on a 52' trawler.

I know they all came with lifting / ski pulling eyes, and I know people lift them all the time, but what hardware do I need for that? We'll be lifting with a crane, so a single lifting point. On our current dinghy (an 11' inflatable), we have a bridle of stainless cable, consisting of three lengths of cable that come together at a large SS ring. Two of the cables go to the stern lifting eyes, one to the bow eye, and the crane lifts from the central ring. We made the cable lengths such that the weight is pretty much evenly distributed fore and aft.

I'm sure we COULD do the same thing with the 13' BW, but is that the best way to do it? I've heard / read about using something called a strongback that's a straight, solid piece maybe several feet long, in place of a central ring, used to make the lifting force be more vertical on each of the lifting eyes. Is that necessary? Is it better?

Finally, what about using nylon webbing instead of SS cable? Way easier to store, and no chance of corrosion (except for the hooks and ring, which are easy to get completely clean of salt water.)

I've searched the forums, and I found one member's posting of the dimensions for a 3-point bridle, and even that was just his best guess. I also found the factory manual page that said that either approach is OK. So maybe what I'm really looking for is input from people who have used one or more of these methods. Thanks!

ConB
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/17 - 10:12 AM

My new to me 1969 13' Whaler spent it's previous life as a tender to a 65' schooner. It came to me with a stainless cable lifting bridle so that must have worked for many years.

Con

BrianSmith
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/17 - 11:57 AM

ConB wrote:
My new to me 1969 13' Whaler spent it's previous life as a tender to a 65' schooner. It came to me with a stainless cable lifting bridle so that must have worked for many years.

Con

Con, that's great info, thanks! I don't suppose you could measure the cables and post that, could you? Of course, mine might need to be a little different, as my center of gravity is probably a little different from yours, but it would give me a starting point. Or maybe you don't need yours, and would like to sell it? Feel free to email me if you like - my address is in my profile.

Brian "Butch" Smith
M/V Smartini

JRP
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/17 - 1:33 PM

Comments: 2

Close enough?

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/bpo/...03491.html

ConB
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/17 - 3:37 PM

Brian I would be happy to measure the bridle but I'm a 1000 miles away from it until January.

I do not want to sell it so maybe the one above is a good deal.

Con

BrianSmith
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/17 - 7:39 PM

ConB wrote:
Brian I would be happy to measure the bridle but I'm a 1000 miles away from it until January.

I do not want to sell it so maybe the one above is a good deal.

Con

Con, thanks for posting that, but I was interested in yours only because you know it works with a 13' Whaler, and I thought you might not want it. The one in the CL ad sounds like it's sort of a general purpose one, used for a lot of different boats. I've made one before from parts at West Marine, which is maybe what I'll do this time. I'll keep looking for the right cable lengths, or just make a prototype with some good strong rope to get the lengths, then make it out of SS cable.
Thanks again!

Brian "Butch" Smith
M/V Smartini

EJO
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/17 - 11:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Brian in answer to your other question (not using cable) I have used 3/8" diameter Dynema rope to hoist dinghies out of the water on two of my larger boats. As this rope worked I'm sure the correct tensile strength webbing could work.

The advantage od Dyneema rope is, that it is stronger than stainless cable, it stores real easy and with a couple of bowlines knots it is easy to adjust to balance the 13' BW and more economical.

I no longer have the cabin cruiser and sailboat and left the hoisting bridle on board so I can't give you dimensions, but as stated there is no crimping and heavy cutting to be done just re-knotting. I used triangular set up but only two pieces of rope.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

BrianSmith
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/17 - 1:19 PM

EJO wrote:
Brian in answer to your other question (not using cable) I have used 3/8" diameter Dynema rope to hoist dinghies out of the water on two of my larger boats. As this rope worked I'm sure the correct tensile strength webbing could work.

The advantage od Dyneema rope is, that it is stronger than stainless cable, it stores real easy and with a couple of bowlines knots it is easy to adjust to balance the 13' BW and more economical.

I no longer have the cabin cruiser and sailboat and left the hoisting bridle on board so I can't give you dimensions, but as stated there is no crimping and heavy cutting to be done just re-knotting. I used triangular set up but only two pieces of rope.

I like that idea! The stainless cable takes a lot of space, and is hard, so it tends to scrape gelcoat and other things. I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

Brian "Butch" Smith
M/V Smartini

BrianSmith
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/17 - 1:22 PM

JRP, thanks, but rather than buy one that's close, and would have to be slightly modified, I'd rather just make one with stuff from The Blue Store (West Marine). The last one I made, for our inflatable, was easy to make and works perfectly, it's just not right for the BW.

Brian "Butch" Smith
M/V Smartini

whalerman
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/17 - 1:31 PM

Comments: 5

I believe that BW recommended that the apex of the bridle be two feet ABOVE the gunn'l. Most used the strong back as this would tend to leave more room for hoisting.
Either contact BW in regards to the strong back or Pompanett in Ft. Lauderdale

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

EJO
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/17 - 10:36 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Good info about the apex height but strong backs are great for hoisting but not for a small pleasure craft yacht as they are heavy , hard and not easily stored, and would damage the mother-ship.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

BrianSmith
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/17 - 10:48 AM

EJO wrote:
Good info about the apex height but strong backs are great for hoisting but not for a small pleasure craft yacht as they are heavy , hard and not easily stored, and would damage the mother-ship.

I've found one that's only 3' long (Davit Master "balance bar"), which would save me at least a foot, maybe two, of necessary lifting, which I may need. With the Dyneema or Sceptre rope (instead of stainless cable), I think I can find a safe place to store that. But you're right about a full-length, or even half-length, strongback - it would be difficult to store!

Brian "Butch" Smith
M/V Smartini

whalerman
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/17 - 1:31 PM

Comments: 5

Many store them in the BW ready to lift in case of needing in a hurry. When using the BW the strong back is left hooked up to the lifting arm and tied off.

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 4:22 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Buda7378
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,014
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,966,306 unique visits