View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2017 Super Sport 130, Garmin Striker 4V Installation
soupcook
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/17 - 12:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I just purchased a Gamin Striker 4V through Amazon and installed it on my Super Sport 130.

I have uploaded a few annotated photos of the finished installation to my Personal Page. (One is attached here.)

Garmin recommends the transducer be installed 15" from the motor. I had to mount it about 7" from the motor mount. The unit performs well at slow speeds <10mph and seems to read depth fine (not fish) when the boat is at plane and full speed (~30mph). I was concerned about the turbulence affecting the picture, but I don't really care about the quality of the picture while I am underway.

I could have done a better job positioning the Stern Saver (the white plastic block epoxied to the transom that I screwed the transducer to). I also installed a Stern Saver on the steering cowling to mount the Garmin base to...I don't want to drill holes into the Fiberglas.

I installed an electrical terminal block on a support under the cowling which will make it easier to add future electrical accessories (radio, etc.). This was not required, but I like having options.

I tapped into the 12VDC wires ran to the accessory point mounted to the right of the steering wheel. I used a crimping tap block to tap the boat wires and also tap to the new 12VDC runs to the terminal block.

All wires were secured with black zip ties.

http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=41610

(I am not sure how to attach photos...I am still a newbie, but I believe this URL will get you to my photos...)

soupcook attached the following image:

[109.86Kb]
Edited by soupcook on 12/03/17 - 12:44 PM

ClevelandBill
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/04/17 - 4:30 PM
Personal Page

Soup:

My depth finder is in EXACTLY the same, obvious spot on my 150. I have a little more width, and I have a wider unit (though its an old model, given to my by my dad, who bought a much fancier newer model).

Bill

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

josefschrock
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/18 - 9:40 AM

Thanks much for posting this, it is very helpful as I am doing an installation on a 2002 Sport 130, which appears to have the same hull as the SS. I don't see your photos of the actual installation of stern saver and transponder on your personal page, just pictures of the boat. I hunted around quite a bit to find your thread, so I imagine others would find those pictures helpful as well. I think I got enough info based on your thread to find a mounting location, I'll add to the thread once I've done the install.
Thanks!

Brando999
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/18 - 11:22 AM

josefschrock wrote:
Thanks much for posting this, it is very helpful as I am doing an installation on a 2002 Sport 130, which appears to have the same hull as the SS. I don't see your photos of the actual installation of stern saver and transponder on your personal page, just pictures of the boat. I hunted around quite a bit to find your thread, so I imagine others would find those pictures helpful as well. I think I got enough info based on your thread to find a mounting location, I'll add to the thread once I've done the install.
Thanks!

I’m looking at doing the same. How did the instal go?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 4:28 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Buda7378
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 22
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,014
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,966,396 unique visits