View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Where Do You Shop For Boat Stuff?
ClevelandBill
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 1:56 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I am investigating the purchase of a retail marine supplies store. Before I decide to jump into a business that necessarily has to compete with Jeff Bezos, I'm trying to learn what I can about shopping habits of boaters.

Where do you like to shop for your boats, boat supplies, etc?

Do you have a favorite marine store?

What do you buy online ... and what will you NEVER buy online?

What other things are nice, if anything, about the marine store you most often frequent?

Any advice welcomed ... helps me with my thinking, helps others with tips on shopping, etc.

Thank you,

Bill

PS: I will visit marine stores within a day's drive ... so let me have some names if you like 'em.

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

SeaLevel
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 3:14 AM
Personal Page

I usually use greatlakesskipper.com. West Marine when necessary and one local marine store here in NJ.

"It's just a forty eight year old Whaler but it's all mine"
Joseph R Palmieri

tedious
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 5:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Bill, not sure this will help you as a point of reference, as I shop almost exclusively online for everything, including boat stuff.

For general parts such as cordage and electrical supplies, I go to defender.com. Prices are good and they typically get the order to me within 24 hours.
For Yamaha motor parts I go to simyamaha.com, which has an extensive inventory.

I do buy oil and other fluids locally, typically at WalMart.

The few times I have been to local marine supply stores, it has been for a maintenance part that I needed in a hurry - one example is when I found a mechanic had crossthreaded the fuel filter cup on my F200. I felt very lucky to find that part in a marine supply store that carried a good Yamaha inventory - that store has since closed.

The other thing I can think of that might be useful at a local marine store is various brands and models of GPS units, so potential customers could try them out for look and feel. However, that would require a large inventory for a small shop.

Hope any of that helps!

Tim

butchdavis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 6:21 AM

Bill,

For small stuff I almost always shop locally. For engine parts I go to a Mercury dealer or a trusted independent near our home. For general things like lubricants, etc. Walmart or AutoZone gets the nod.

We have only one well stocked store for marine supplies, West Marine. If I need something RIGHT NOW I'll always shop there. Once in a while I'll be able to find something at The Bass Pro store but they sell a lot of cheesy stuff and are a little high and the staff is often marginally qualified. A big exception is the marine section manager, Greg. The guy has been in marine retail for over twenty years. I do buy most of my tackle there.

Higher end stuff is exclusively cyber. Even new ground tackle came from Defender. All electronics purchases are cyber.

For some higher end items that are planned purchases that can wait I'll bide my time and wait for a good West Marine sale.

IMO, the marine store market is way too competitive. If I had the funding to start a marine business I'd put it in the stock market. Better ROI and no lost sleep over the long haul.

Butch

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 11:53 AM

Unless you have a local walk in market similar to WestMarine you would need to compete with pricing on ebay/internet. I have suppliers who are local for specialty items (polished stainless tubing, fabricating, electronics/lights, etc....). I am very devoted to the electronics/electrical fellow because of his advice, easy returns, discounts, etc.... Otherwise I surf the internet for the best price using a well defined item # or well described item (ex. 3/4" F.I.P. bronze ball valve). I have no particular devotion to any of the internet suppliers. My personal belief would be that a local niche company with great support unless you decide warehouse type volume. Some of the internets I purchase from also have service shops, boat sales, etc.....

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 12:19 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I try to buy from my local chandlery when possible.

Trailer supplies:

www.Sturdybuiltonline.com
www.easternmarine.com

Wiring:

www.genuinedealz.com

General Supplies:

www.HamiltonMarine.com

Yamaha Parts:

www.simyamaha.com

NEVER Ebay or Amazon or West Marine

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

jgortva
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 3:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Bill,
Respectfully, save your money and find a better business to purchase. I have seen boat supply stores with much deeper pockets than yours or mine succumb to the, "NEW" economy. Both the West Marine that had been in my area since 1991 and the Boaters World that had been around since the late 90's both couldn't make a go of it and closed in recent years. I regularly shopped at both stores, but truth be told we all know everything boating related is both cheaper and a better selection online. Except for routine maintenance items such as oil, filters, compound, and wax can be had at local automotive parts stores for less so your competition is everywhere. This doesn't even start to discuss Jeff Bezos and the fact that I can order thru Amazon Prime before noon and get nearly everything to show up on my doorstep the same day! Retail stores in the year round boating areas may be able to survive, but I do not believe they would be able to in seasonal boating states such as yours and mine.

Jim G.

Edited by jgortva on 11/20/17 - 3:27 PM

mtown
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/17 - 3:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Unfortunately I agree with the others about the competition you face from online. I just bought carb kits from SIM and also bought some parts from online sales for repairs to a nail gun and a chainsaw.

I had tried to support my local Stihl dealer for a new pull cord. I had committed to paying $7 +- after seeing it online for $1.45 which just seemed stupid cheap. Got to store and the cord was $21.
Ordered online last Thursday and it was in my mailbox when I got home today.

It appears to be an exact replacement for my original 50 year old cord.

Sorry for the sidetrack, back to boats. The business, to be viable would have to sell to not only retail but to small shops that "need it now" as they have torn apart a customers boat, found a need for parts unexpected, and want to get the job done. That market could make your idea much more workable.

I think a better question for you to ask is of the shops in your area where they buy. Guys on this thread including me are willing to wait for the delivered stuff at a better price.

EJO
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/17 - 1:26 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Hard to say but to me West Marine is to far. Yes internet is easy and most often less expensive (watch for shipping). But when I need something I go to my local outlets, within a 15 mile radius. When I had a slipped boat I always bought local where I was. Not inexpensive but worth it is I could spend more time on/with the boat.
It might be a viable business if current set up can show traffic through the store.
Over the 55 plus years of boating, building, repairing, restoring, boats I can honestly say I bought my Marine supplies 85% from the local marine chandeliers. But I'm probably different than most as I'm not on Facebook either every day.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

ClevelandBill
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/17 - 3:55 PM
Personal Page

Thank you to EVERYBODY!!! These are good comments and I am listening. Moreover, I am showing my wife and my business partners this information ... (because telling them the truth is good for my long-term self-advantage!). I myself buy sometimes locally, and a lot online. And for the same reasons as all of you ...

Commodity items, items well-known in brand or manufacture, etc, are best purchased online.

Custom items, one-offs, things that must fit, specialty items ... usually can't be purchased online and that's where any local marine supply operation has to focus its business.

I am thinking "service" is also an area where Amazon can't compete. Winterizing and shrink-wrapping (if not mechanic's services). Installations. Sales of used boats (online HELPS the local outlet with this). And I did not think of the competition from Walmart for many things ... oil, gas treatment, a few marine supplies, fishing stuff, etc.

Even though I shop there ...

I really, really appreciate it.

BTW, Cleveland has this place called Samsel Supply, right on the Cuyahoga River, downtown Cleveland. If you ever need SERIOUS marine supplies, like 3" Hemp Rope, or shackles with pins that actually tighten, or special marine safety gear ... these guys have it. They also have lots of selection of more regular marine stuff, usually in bulk, and ALL of it is top quality. No junk rope. No Chinese cast-from-recycled-nuclear-plant hardware. They don't mind when regular guys like us walk in, though their usual boat customer has a boat in the 750' to 1000' range, full of iron ore from Wisconsin ...

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

Vances Revenge
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/17 - 4:44 PM

Comments: 2

For popular brand factory motor parts this one is hard to beat: http://www.boats.net/

Their service has been terrific.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 4:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,701,685 unique visits