View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
GPS for 1989 Montauk 17
enggass
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 5:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hey all,
I want to add a GPS to my Montauk console. What brands/models can any of you recommend?... Thanks.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 5:46 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I ran a Garmin 5" GPS/Sounder on my Outrage 17 in Casco Bay. The nav charts for the NE came on a separate chip.

I like the screens that are more vertical orientated. Get the largest screen you can afford.

Hamilton Marine has a good selection to look at. They can order anything they don't carry and have a good late winter, early spring sale on everything.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 6:14 AM

We have a Raymarine Dragonfly on our Sport 13. It's a good unit and was inexpensive. If it is available it's worth consideration.

Butch

Sharky1
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 10:05 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Garmin hands down. User friendly as well. Check West Marine Outlet on line. They always run specials especially this time of year. I like the 74DV chirp but remember you have to mount the transducer and wait until you see that thing. Its like 10" long. I had to do a little fiberglass work to insure it would stay on the transom. It's been my experience that the Whaler hull is very thin where you mount the transducer and the screws simply pull out very easy. I recommend putting a thin piece of teak between the transducer and the hull with 5200 on the teak. So you're glueing the teak to the hull and then screwing the transducer to the teak and hull. I've had several Whalers in the past with transducer scars all over the transom. Not good! Good luck.

enggass
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 10:22 AM
Personal Page

Thanks - I'll be checking everything out but input is very helpful.
Anybody using Hummingbird - something like this?:
https://www.humminbird.com/Products/H...RP-GPS-G2/
or Raymarine such as this? Includes US lakes and Coastal Mapping as well as Transducer:
http://www.raymarine.com/dragonfly/dr...onfly4pro/

Edited by enggass on 11/08/17 - 10:53 AM

Pinion
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 11:09 AM

Comments: 1

If you're looking for just GPS and you have a tablet that has GPS, get a case for it, a Ram mount, and some software. That's what I've used for a long time. No ragrets. :)

butchdavis
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 4:39 PM

Enggass,

Yes I've been using the Raymarine Dragonfly 4 Pro for over a year. That's why I recommended you look into it.

Butch

Walt Krafft
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 4:50 PM

I have a Hummingbird 1198 and love it. It is mounted on the console and is teamed with a MinnKota trolling motor. At the end of the day it shows where on the lake I have been. Very useful. Catch a fish and set a waypoint. Another great feature is the anchor function. It uses the trolling motor to hold the boat in position regardless of the wind and current.

action
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 4:59 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I replaced my Garmin 178C with a Garmin 7" CHIRP on my Montauk and like it a lot.

enggass
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/17 - 4:42 PM
Personal Page

butchdavis wrote:
Enggass,

Yes I've been using the Raymarine Dragonfly 4 Pro for over a year. That's why I recommended you look into it.

@Butch : what has been your experience with the location of the transducer? It’s quite long. Does it get in the way of hauling at all? Did you mount on starboard side of putbard with standard right hand prop rotation?

action
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/17 - 5:00 PM
Personal Page

When I got my Garmin EchoMap Chirp 70, I was also concerned with the transducer length. In my opinion, it seems like the transducer (and CHIRP frequency) that comes with it was really meant for deeper water than I fish (100 feet max). I elected to get the lake version with the different, shorter transducer and get a coastal Blue Chart card. It worked out pretty close in price. It works fine. I typically fish the back bays of NJ (up to 3 feet) and sometime the local reefs (about 80 feet max).

action
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/17 - 5:05 PM
Personal Page

back bays should have been 30 feet.

From Garmin support when asked about my typical depths fished: "The High CHIRP makes the most sense in your application"

butchdavis
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/17 - 6:39 AM

I mounted the ducer to the right. It's unaffected by the propeller. The information is the same if the engine is running or stopped. It has not been a problem with our trailer.

The ducer was no problem even though it is longer than the usual old style. I went to a lot of trouble to install mine by first carefully sealing the old ducer screw holes. In then cut a piece of 3/4" white Starboard marine lumber and fitted it to the transom to serve as a mounting surface for the new ducer. I used Gorilla Tape to dry mount the Starboard before drilling and mounting it to the transom. I did the same with the ducer being particularly careful to get the height perfectly set. I then screw mounted the ducer to the Starboard.

The transom on our 13 is curved therefore the ducer points a little to the right but that has not affected performance. Mounting the very rigid Starboard was not a lot of fun. If you use it, cutting a few vertical "kerfs" about half way through the Starboard toward the center could make it more bendable.

Butch

enggass
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/17 - 7:52 AM
Personal Page

@Bruce - Thanks. I ordered one today with the Navionics Combo. Lastly, does your transducer sit below the waterline or ride right on it? The manual looks like they position on the waterline, but to maintain that at all speeds the angle would vary, no? Maybe they mean parallel to the waterline for the initial install then adjust from there. Any chance you could send me or post a pic of yours? Thanks for your input. Steve.

butchdavis
#15 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/17 - 4:13 PM

The ducer needs to be roughly parallel with the boats bottom and mounted so it will just ride on the water while on plane. The bottom half of the ducer should be in the water while the upper half remains visible while looking over the transom. Download the Raymarine Installation PDF and the operators PDF. Try to study both before you begin to install the Dragonfly. The ducer mounting bracked has vertical slots for the mounting screws. This allows for some adjustment after you've mounted the ducer.

It's all pretty straight forward just follow the instructions carefully. Dry fit everything before installing. Ensure the cable from the ducer to the display is long enough before drilling for the display. I had to fabricate a power cord extension.

Butch

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 10:20 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,704,990 unique visits