View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Teak Swim Platform
vblm
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/17 - 6:19 PM

Comments: 0

Does anyone have this installed on a Montauk?

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/inboar...tep-ladder

Any other suppliers of teak platforms? On a search for prior posts, someone mentioned that black duck made those but I couldn't find it in their website.

Also, should I be worried about adding more weight to the stern of a Montauk (I'm already considering adding stern seating)? The motor is 261lbs.

Edited by Phil T on 10/31/17 - 9:06 AM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 9:10 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Ray Martin of Martin Marine Design makes a swim platform designed for the Montauk transom. His products are "Whaler Quality".

http://www.martinmarinedesign.com/SWI...tform.html

If Ray does not offer the teak platform, he could get Walt to fabricate one for you.

Walt's website is: http://blackduckgallery.com/WOODPARTS...PARTS.html

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

vblm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 10:07 AM

Thanks. Anyone knows the impact of having this plus a stern seat on a Montauk? Should I worry or the accretive weight effect is irrelevant?

todd12
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 4:14 PM
Personal Page

For that kind of money I would get the custom one Phil is refering too. The one in the picture wont fit correctly with out some modifications. I think I have a picture in my personal pages of one that I modified to fit one of my Montauks.

Todd

Todd

Walt Krafft
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 4:46 PM

I tried to go cheap and bought a generic platform. As soon as I tried to install it I decided a platform not designed for a Whaler is not the way to go. Got the one from Ray Martin of Martin Marine Design and couldn't be happier. It was a snap to install and looks great.

JRP
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/17 - 5:02 PM

Comments: 2

I agree with these guys -- why waste time and money trying to make a generic one fit when you can purchase one specifically designed for your boat?

I believe the Martin platform that Phil linked to above is for the early Montauks (non-smirked hulls.) I thought I recalled the one you were considering is a newer smirked hull? If so, this would be the one you need:

http://www.martinmarinedesign.com/SWI...tform.html

Edited by JRP on 10/31/17 - 5:03 PM

Weatherly
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/17 - 6:32 AM

Comments: 4

I do not recommend installation of a both a rear seat and a transom mounted boarding ladder on a Montauk 17. Why? While you can easily get back onboard with a ladder, it is really difficult to have to climb over a rear seat. That is, unless you are a gymnast.

vblm
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/17 - 7:26 AM

Weatherly wrote:
I do not recommend installation of a both a rear seat and a transom mounted boarding ladder on a Montauk 17. Why? While you can easily get back onboard with a ladder, it is really difficult to have to climb over a rear seat. That is, unless you are a gymnast.

I had that preoccupation too, but thought I would be fine if the seat had no backrest.

The thing is: a big part of convincing the wife to forego the garage space was that we would be able to enjoy the boat not only for fishing, but to swim and have a couple of friends on. The boat does not currently have a front rail (even though I have it with me), so I thought the back seat would be a good addition. Since we're in Florida, there is a lot of swimming so a platform/ladder would be interesting to have as well.

Speaking about stern seating, the seats in your profile look very good. Do you have the specs on them, by any chance?

Weatherly
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/17 - 9:32 AM

Comments: 4

If all you want/need is a thwart board seat to use with no backrest, then that is easy enough to make. As I recently wrote about this type of seating, I have cut a 60 inch length of board (I prefer solid mahogany) that is 5/4 inch thick, 11-15 inches width, and place it in the thwart channel. I make sure the board is cut precisely to "friction fit" in the channel, and I do not screw it down. I glue a piece of rubber to the bottom of the board at the ends to help keep it from sliding. I can place such a thwart board seat in front of the console on a Montauk 17 (with cooler removed) or behind the reverse pilot seat, or all the way to the motor well area, where the board will really tighten its fit because of a slight reduction in length between the interior bulkhead channels (beam).
The measurement on a BW16 hull is slightly less in length, at 59 15/16 inches, because the BW16 (no "smirk" hull) is a very different hull.

EJO
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/17 - 10:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

vblm wrote:
Thanks. Anyone knows the impact of having this plus a stern seat on a Montauk? Should I worry or the accretive weight effect is irrelevant?

In answer to that question I don't thing the minor weight of a small teak platform with SS ladder will influence you performance noticeably.
Now climbing over a seat back-rest that might be a problem.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 11:45 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,971,014 unique visits