View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
mooring cover
corsairdriver
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/17 - 5:01 PM

Comments: 0

looking for a site to get a good mooring cover for my 1988 13'. It started life as a std model but now has a super sport kit.
It has side rails and no bow rails. have a running bimini top folded onto the stern when its in a slip. I would like to keep all the new wood protected. Thanks

jgortva
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/17 - 5:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

corsairdriver,
Every single manufacturer makes a 13 foot sport cover with and without side rails. They range in price from $199 to as high as $600 depending on how fancy you get with the materials. Almost all of the covers use a drawstring to tighten the circumference and loops to tie the cover down to the trailer at 8-10 mounting points. These will make decent trailer covers if the boat is not subject to much rain as they come with no center poles to create a tent or tepee effect to shed the water before it pools and makes the cover sag or slip off. You can add 2 center poles using a snap install kit and this will improve the rain withstanding power. None of these covers will be really effective when trying to cover a boat in the water and they are difficult to use when trying to cover a boat on a shore station. I have gone thru 2 of these covers in 5 years when I had my last 13 foot sport as they tend to tear at the mounting points after the wind works on them at highway speeds when trailering. It is a little more money, but if you want a tight water resistant cover that can be used in the water, when trailering, or in any condition, than a custom made cover with poles that snaps to the sides of the boat is the only answer. It will require installing a few snaps on the side of your boat, but any canvas guy can make the cover with poles and install snaps where they are the least noticeable. The price should be between $700-$900, but it will probably be the only cover you ever buy.

Jim G.

corsairdriver
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/17 - 10:40 AM

Comments: 0

Thanks for getting back to me. Most of the covers I saw did not come with poles.I think I'll take your advice and have one made.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 2:32 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,693,088 unique visits