View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Antifoul paint for trailered boat
Kayaken
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/17 - 7:32 AM

Comments: 0

Looking to barrier coat soon and will probably use Totalboat Totalprotect in grey. I will primarily be trailering the boat but may someday keep it on the water for extended time for ease of use. That said, I called Jamestown Distributors and they said there were hybrid antifoul ablative paints that were a little harder to stand up to trailering but also good for leaving it in the water during the season. The technical support guy recommended Spartan and Micron CSC. I've also read that Pettit Vivid paint works well as well.

What are my options?
Thanks!

NJjohnmontauk17
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/17 - 11:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I wouldn't paint it until you are sure to be leaving it in the water for weeks at a time. No need to. I would use an ablative, I've used Interlux ACT

1984 Montauk

EJO
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/17 - 12:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

I second HJjohn's comment above why go through the work and expense (ablative paints aren't cheap). Even if you leave it in the water for several or more weeks you can pull her out and scrub her clean easily.
Both the Interlux ACT and Micron CSC are excellent anti fouling paints but not needed unless you more for a season or months on end.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Kayaken
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/17 - 1:18 PM

Thanks for the tips. So should I apply barrier coat and then paint with a topside paint?

NJjohnmontauk17
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/17 - 1:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I just completed painting my hull with quantum99 paints.

I barrier coated / primed the whole hull.

I wet sanded the areas of the hull that would be visible when the boat is in the water to 320 grit and topcoated that area with 3 coats

I sanded the barrier coated hull bottom to 150 grit, i.e. the area not visible when the boat is in the water, and topcoated with only 1 coat.

I am unsure if I will anti-foul in the future because the boat looks so good i'd hate to cover it up. If so, the 150 grit will be sufficient to adhere the antifoul.

I am still customizing the boat so anti-foul decisions are down the road.

1984 Montauk

Kayaken
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/17 - 2:39 PM

Thanks. I'll look into the quantum99 as well. The only reason I would go through the trouble now to apply antifoul is the boat is off the trailer and upside down where I can work on it easily.

EJO
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/17 - 4:51 AM
Personal Page

Kayaken it doesn't matter if the boat is upside down. Again why would you want to put a anti fouling paint on a boat that doesn't need it. Is you current gel coat damaged? Barrier coating is just an expensive primer. If your gel coat is in good shape and you still want to apply bottom paint you must first de-wax the bottom and then scruff it up for the bottom paint to adhere.
You can always follow the instructions on the bottom paint can.
But like I said B-4 I think it is a waste of time and money for a trailered boat.
Use the elbow grease to buff a mirror finish on it, which will also help keeping growth off.
Good luck with your project.

Skipper E-J

Kayaken
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/17 - 4:55 AM

EJO: the current gel coat has pinholes and cracks. I think it is beyond repair. I also have to repair some dings and divots with epoxy so paint is my option. That said, should I barrier coat prior to painting the hull? What type of paint works best over barrier coat? I've read so much about this and still feel a bit lost with all the different options.

tedious
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/17 - 3:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

It's a lot of work to do a full-on gloss finish. Seems like you're trying to do a good, durable job, but not necessarily look for factory perfect. If I have that right, you may wish to follow your fairing efforts with a good primer, followed by a hard epoxy antifouling such as Pettit Vivid or Unepoxy. We have used the latter for years in Maine and it holds up well to trailering. Our boat spends 4 months in the water each year and the rest on a trailer, and we recoat every two years.

A number of people have mentioned getting the Vivid tinted to match their hull color, and that may also be a good choice for you.

If you go to Pettit's website there is a ton of information. For your situation the Pettit Protect high build primer may be a good choice, but that's just going on what they say, have not used it myself.

You do not want an ablative paint - don't need the antifouling and it wears off on the trailer bunks.

Kayaken
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/17 - 6:30 AM

Tedious,
You are spot on. Just want something durable for sure. Don't think it'll ever be factory finish.

This is what I'm thinking for final paint process for below waterline:
1. Tape off waterline
2. Apply Sea Hawk Barrier Coat
3. Apply epoxy primer
4. Apply Unepoxy

For above waterline and inside the boat: Awlcraft

My last question is do I need primer over the barrier coat before applying the Unepoxy?
Thanks!

Kayaken
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/17 - 6:39 AM

Also, is epoxy primer the same as barrier coat?

tedious
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/17 - 4:55 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Kayaken wrote:
Also, is epoxy primer the same as barrier coat?

I am by no means an expert. I recommend going to Pettit Pants website and doing some reading. There are several articles here which seem pertinent to your project: http://www.pettitpaint.com/m/product_....asp?id=79

Method 2 in the article How to Bottom Paint Bare Gelcoat seems to match what you are doing fairly closely.

Edited by tedious on 09/09/17 - 5:30 AM

EJO
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/17 - 6:51 AM
Personal Page

Kayaken wrote:
EJO: the current gel coat has pinholes and cracks. I think it is beyond repair. I also have to repair some dings and divots with epoxy so paint is my option. That said, should I barrier coat prior to painting the hull? What type of paint works best over barrier coat? I've read so much about this and still feel a bit lost with all the different options.

Yes in that case a barrier coat will be needed for the pin hole defect.
I believe a barrier coat is as good as a primer and therefore cut out that step.
Good luck in your repair.

Skipper E-J

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 12:42 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,985,987 unique visits