View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1966 Nauset- Under Console Fuel Tank
Perk Hazlegrove
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/17 - 12:26 PM

Comments: 0

Hey All:

I am in the process of restoring my 1966 Nauset, which requires the replacement of the console. I have been thinking about replacing the two portable 6 gallon cans that stow under the console with a higher capacity permanent tank, maybe even have a fuel gauge.

It is important to keep the fuel tanks forward due to weight, so I'm not really interested in putting them under the seat. The only problem that I see so far is that I need to preserve the opening for the hull tunnel for all of the engine controls, and all of the fuel tanks that I can find look like they would cover it.

Does anybody have any insight into this?

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/17 - 12:44 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

You have 3 choices:

- Moeller plastic tank (note there are two 12 gallon designs. You want the high profile version
EG: http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...er_id=2119

- Mirax tank or tanks: EG: http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...er_id=2119
Website http://www.miraxfuelproducts.com/new_...te_007.htm

- Custom aluminum tank fabricated by a local vendor

Edited by Phil T on 08/20/17 - 12:47 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Perk Hazlegrove
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/17 - 1:24 PM

Thanks for the quick response - BTW, I love the website and have been lurking for a couple of years while I started the project.

Does a Moeller 12 Gal tank leave the hull tunnel unobstructed? With two 6 gal tanks, I can push them to the outsides and have access to it in the middle.

mtown
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/17 - 3:56 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I have moeller 18 gallon tank under the console on my 16 with a custom console. Also same tank on my 16 Currituck, which still has the original lower part of the console. Fits sideways.

Weatherly
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/17 - 7:07 AM

Comments: 4

What brand/HP outboard do you own and what is type of cruising range do you want to achieve?

Perk Hazlegrove
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/17 - 2:34 PM

Thanks for the replies:

I will be outfitting the boat with an Evinrude E Tec 90. Cruising range is not too much of an issue - at least as much as two 6 gallon portable tanks.

What I would like to consider is a permanently mounted tank with a sender and maybe a fuel gauge on the dash.

The issue is that most tanks that I have been able to research look like they cover the access to the tube to the stern that I need to route the motor and steering controls into.

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/17 - 10:23 PM

Comments: 16

You do not want a permanently mounted tank in a Nauset console. You will have venting and filling design problems to soslve.

The mahogany console was designed to accomodate two of the 12 gallon Tempo aluminized steel red tanks, restrained by a round bar, and which pull out for filling, like these:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/l...jE=/?ref=1

Since they are difficult to source these days, you can use the 12 gallon Moeller tanks instead, and you will still have the center space open to access the tunnel.

The original fuel tank mats shown in the photo can still be purchased from Twin Cities.

Weatherly
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/17 - 7:05 AM

There is an amazing self-realization that one goes through after rigging a modern, 21st century efficient, quiet, and clean outboard to their Classic Boston Whaler. That is you no longer need high fuel capacity, e.g., 24 gallons, stored under your console, to operate your vessel all day, or even all weekend.

Are you installing an original specification mahogany console? The console base interior space dimensions are roughly 24x32.5x14 inches.

If you choose to install two high-profile moeller tanks that measure 23x14x14.5 inches, you will have room for the rigging lines to run from the rig tunnel through the console base into the console top area; However, you will not have enough height clearance.

I installed a piece of solid mahogany wood on my console base to increase the clearance height to 15 3/8 inches, in order for a high-profile tank to fit. But as it turned out, I never needed more than 12 gallons fuel capacity for day-long or weekend long cruising.

Another benefit for adding a piece of solid mahogany to the base of the console is that it is a superior way to provide "anti-wicking" measures when you have standing water on your deck and want to preserve your mahogany plywood for the long-term. Oh, and lots of varnish coats also protects the wood, of course.

What do you mean by this statement: "It is important to keep the fuel tanks forward due to weight?"

Edited by Weatherly on 08/23/17 - 7:08 AM

NJjohnmontauk17
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/17 - 8:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Suggest you also look on moeller marine dot com and see their full range of fuel tanks. Many sizes & shapes. In my renovation of my 1984 Montauk 17 I am looking at their 19 gallon permanent tank to place under my console, and add a fuel gauge. My overall goal is to clean up a lot of the visible rigging, wiring, fuel lines, lighting, for a more contemporary, clean look. Elimination the visible fuel tank is high on my list.

1984 Montauk

Perk Hazlegrove
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/17 - 2:08 PM

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

Some good points are: How much fuel do I really need - 12 Gallons should be enough. How will I fill and vent the tank if it is permanently installed - Portable tanks to the gas station are pretty handy, otherwise I'm looking at a fuel caddy or siphoning from a gas can. The weight issue is that I suspect a bit of water saturation, and although the boat was sitting OK in the water 10 years ago, it was with a significantly lighter engine - all weight needs to be forward, including the battery. I really don't want to modify the console to raise it, although the idea would work to accommodate an under console fuel tank.

Thanks again

Geo
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/17 - 7:00 PM
Personal Page

Are you sure you would like all that weight forward? My 67 Nauset operates much better with the gas tanks all the way in the back. I am running a 90 hp Yamaha 2-stroke.

pozdnyakov
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/17 - 3:23 AM
Personal Page

I used moeller Low-Perm 12 Gallon tank on console purchased from Specialty Marine. Although console manufacturer stated the tank would fit, had to add two mahogany extentions to move the foot rest out 2 inches. Used Azek sill noses to lift both console and seat up 2 inches.12 gallons with Yamaha F70 is plenty. Posted pics on personal page

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 12:23 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,044,496 unique visits