View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1973 Outrage 21 PRICE?
simplykind
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/15/17 - 9:28 AM

Comments: 0

Looking for input/opinions on pricing for a 1973 Outrage 21 with an 1989 150 Johnson. This would be my first boat. Would this make a good beginners boat? I'd be taking it on local rivers and smaller/medium lakes. I would love to potentially get out on Lake Michigan on calmer days down the road as well as bring it down to Florida for some saltwater harbor fishing.

Pics below

http://imgur.com/a/pG7bL

(fixed abbreviated years per guideline #1 at the top of this page)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/15/17 - 11:08 AM

Reel Easy
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/15/17 - 12:17 PM

Comments: 1

From what I can tell from the pictures, the boat seems to be in good condition. You will find prices all over the map which are usually dependent on the overall condition of the offering.
Things to look out for: what condition is the motor, is the boat water-logged, spider and stress cracks, has the boat been painted, have there been modifications to the boat. Seems there was a modification the the aft storage and livewell cross structure. I purchased a 1974 Outrage 21 with twin 1988 Yamaha 90s with marginal single axle trailer for $7500 about 6 years ago. What ever you pay, know you will have some additional costs to refurbish. Not sure about using on rivers but would be a great boat for Lake Michigan. Where are you located? Good Luck!!

simplykind
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/15/17 - 12:30 PM

http://imgur.com/a/BrAzc

Thanks. Added a few more pics. Was told it was painted inside and out and that the boat is solid. Transom has the metal plate for the 30inch shaft vs 25. I'm in St. Charles, IL

jgortva
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/17 - 5:46 AM
Personal Page

Simplykind,
The hull looks in good shape. I have been down this road before and the best way to price this boat is for what the hull alone would be worth to you and then add roughly $1000 for the engine which is way past its economic life. I am sure that others here will tell you it could last forever, however, if it does not, you can add $4000 to rebuild it or $13-$15 grand to repower. With that being said, you would have a lot more than the boat is worth invested at that point so it might behoove you if you are not interested in investing into the old engine down the road to look for a boat with newer power and spend more than this boat but about half of what you will ultimately spend to repower which is a given with a almost 30 year old motor. As for my story, I purchased a 1995 15 foot dauntless for around $6000 which was a great deal until the 1995 Evinrude 70 H.P seized and I repowered with a new Yamaha 70 H.P for a total of $8000 out the door rigged. While it is a great boat with classic looks, I could of got into a larger Montauk or Dauntless for the same as I have invested now but I will keep this boat a long time.

Jim G.

Tom Hemphill
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/17 - 5:01 PM
Personal Page

simplykind wrote (in part):
Would this make a good beginners boat?

I don't think that it would be a good beginner's boat. Better to start out smaller.

EJO
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/17 - 6:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

simplykind I agree with Tom saying it is not a good beginner's boat. Yes it could do what you mention in your first post but getting an old boat as a beginner's boat could be a nightmare especially a boat over 16 ft.
Look for a smaller boat with newer power. Get to know boating/handling for a season or two and at that time you can upgrade to a larger boat.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/17 - 9:31 AM

Comments: 16

I am in the greater Chicago area, know Whalers fairly well, and I would not touch that boat.

First of all, a painted boat generally means it was a beater, with bad gelcoat surface, and the owner took the cheap way of fixing it up, paint. You have no idea of what repairs were made under the paint, nor of the quality of the repairs or paint job. Bottom paint means the boat was left in the water for months or years, exposed to the weather, which is why it was probably a beater in the first place, as mentioned. Also, the boat and console have been heavily altered, rails and other original parts missing, which also means a beat up boat, not well taken care of previously, re-fitted with aftermarket stuff. The transom modifications alone are a reason not to buy - real hack work. They didn't even know enough to put a proper binnacle engine control on it with separate key switch ignition harness. Note the crude cable work.

These boats have little re-sale value and generally do not hold up well.
It would be a really bad choice for a first time boater, as someone else also mentioned.. Find something in better ORIGINAL condition. Don't fall for a big, homemade fixed up boat like this, even for a cheap price.

Edited by Finnegan on 08/17/17 - 9:35 AM

Blackduck
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/17 - 5:03 AM
Personal Page

I think you would be much better to go with a Montauk. As far as the 21 you are looking at, like Larry said, any money is to much for that boat.

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 4:28 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,988,315 unique visits