View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
My 1995 Dauntless 17 DC drives like an old farm truck.
Shallowdraft
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/17 - 8:29 PM

Comments: 0

At no wake speed or 6 knots. I'm constantly moving the steering wheel. The 1995 Mercury motor was missing a zinc behind the prop so I grabbed one off the shelf. It "looks" like it should be there but IDK. How do I improve the way I'm tracking. If you've ever driven an old truck with loose steering you now what I mean. The boat looks like it came out of the factory set up for water skiing and has a six bladed after market prop. Should I lose the prop? Thanks folks and my questions might not be bright but they are well intentioned.

Weatherly
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/17 - 4:14 AM

Comments: 4

The new farmer needs to learn how to drive the old farm truck. Practice, practice, practice. Read up on low-speed bow steer.

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/17 - 6:22 AM

I would look into your propeller situation. The current propeller may be fine or need replacement but I doubt it is influencing the steering difficulties.

It has always taken a couple of outings for me to get used to how a boat handles. I always have a tendency to over correct when the boat starts to veer from the intended course. It just takes a while to learn how much to correct. In time the best amount of steering input becomes intuitive and should be no problem.

I would think that a 17 Dauntless at 6 knots would be plowing. Try idle speed in no wake zones. Your boat will make far less wake, be easier to handle and burn less fuel and you will be less apt to attract unwanted attention from marine law enforcement.

If you want advice on the best propeller for your Dauntless start a new thread on the subject.

Butch

Shallowdraft
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/17 - 7:37 PM

Thanks for the info Weatherly and I'm already on the road to Carnegie. I can "almost" drive the boat in a straight line but the current screams in the river which was/is affecting me big time. Slowing down just a tad brought the bow down so it wasn't acting like a sail. Docking?? Well that's another story but I'm working on it.
Mr. Davis about law enforcement. The CG boarded me within 20 minutes into my first outing. I had made sure I had all the "stuff" they require and safety is no accident. I was told that if they boarded me they would ask if there were any weapons on board. They didn't ask and I didn't say anything. Then the harbormaster scolded me for my wake not my speed but I wasn't differentiating them. Live and learn even at my age. They were a little gruffer than they needed to be but they did have badges and I'll still call them if I need them.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 11:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.35 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,698,954 unique visits