View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1988 17 foot super sport limited
johnstout
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 5:20 PM

Comments: 0

I am looking at a 1988 17 foot super sport limited. I have only seen pictures so far but it looks like its in pretty good shape. I really don't want a super sport limited. I would prefer a center console boat. It appears that it would be simple to remove the SSL package and convert it to a center console boat. My question is this, is there anyone out there that would want the SSL interior and what would be the going price if so. I live in Arizona so whalers don't come up for sale very often, especially clean ones that haven't been butchered.

(corrected model name for clarity)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/15/17 - 4:40 PM

Weatherly
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 5:34 PM

Comments: 4

I have converted a 1986 Super Sport 17 into a center console configured craft. I sold the interior wood locally on Craigslist. I also converted a 1989 Super Sport Limited 17 into a center console craft similar to the Eastport model. I sold the interior via Craigslist to a person from Maine. Yes, there are Whaler enthusiasts out there that are looking for good used parts. The value of such spare parts varies greatly in the US, So what I sold my spare parts for in Ma will be different than say your area of the country.

johnstout
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 5:54 PM

Thanks Weatherly. There is no wood in this one that I can tell. Since you have already done this, what aftermarket center console do you recommend?

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 6:10 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

johnstout wrote:
Thanks Weatherly. There is no wood in this one that I can tell. Since you have already done this, what aftermarket center console do you recommend?

If there is no wood in that boat, then it cannot be a Super Sport model.
Here is a Super Sport 17' model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=50

johnstout
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 6:30 PM

Here are a couple of pictures (not great). I have looked this model and year up and have found pictures that are pretty close to this one.

johnstout
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 6:34 PM

I guess I can't attach the pictures. New to this site. Any way, the entire insert appears to be fiberglass with side console driver side, passenger side console (both with windshields) a front padded seat (bench) and a rear deck. The whole thing appears to be one piece.

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 6:41 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Well Welcome aboard WhalerCentral.

I suggest looking around in the models section then to see what model you are really talking about.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...allery.php

Sounds like you may be describing a "Super Sport Limited" 17' model then.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=48

johnstout
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 7:15 PM

Okay Joe, I looked at what you sent. This is exactly what the boat I'm looking at looks like. Is this a rare item or pretty common?

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 7:30 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Spend some time looking around WhalerCentral.
Here is another section on members personal pages.
Scroll down to 17' Super Sport Unlimited models.
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65

If you are having problems searching, try using the "Site Map" here to see almost everything we have.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...te_map.php

Enjoy

johnstout
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/17 - 7:37 PM

I'll do just that! Thanks for the help Joe.

Weatherly
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/17 - 4:16 AM

I recommend you look at the Hullinthewater's Personal Page where you can see photographs of a Custom 17. He installed an aftermarket fiberglass center console that he purchased at Panga Marine in FL.

JRP
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/17 - 7:17 AM

Comments: 2

johnstout wrote:
I am looking at a 1988 17 foot super sport. I have only seen pictures so far but it looks like its in pretty good shape. I really don't want a super sport. I would prefer a center console boat. It appears that it would be simple to remove the SS package and convert it to a center console boat. My question is this, is there anyone out there that would want the SS interior and what would be the going price if so. I live in Arizona so whalers don't come up for sale very often, especially clean ones that haven't been butchered.

I reecommend you be patient and find a center conssole boat that fits your requirements better. It just does not make sense to purchase a 17 Super Sport Limited and convert it to a center console, when there are so many center console models available in this size range already.

But a hold-over solution may be to purchase the 17 SS Ltd and use it as is until you come across a satisfactory center console. By keeping the boat in its original configuration, it will command more resale value than if you reconfigure it. And there's always the chance you will come to appreciate the SS configuration after using it for a while.

johnstout
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/17 - 9:05 AM

Very good advice JRP. I doubt I would come to like the SSL arrangement. I have had it in my mind for quite a few years to own a center console boat. Just one of those things. That being said, I agree that it wouldn't make any sense to change the original SSL into a center console boat.

Weatherly
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/17 - 7:43 AM

I do not like the Super Sport Limited (SSL) 17 layout. The first thing I noticed when I inspected my boat was that the interior was waterlogged. That is the OE vinyl seats were waterlogged. They weighed a ton. The replacement cost of new vinyl seating was not worth it, especially after I took the SSL out for a ride on Cape Cod Bay. The dual console configuration meant the coxswain sat to starboard. The starboard sitting "driver" is subjected to a very uncomfortable ride in any degree of chop. The Fisher-Pierce/BW company was the first ever boat manufacturer to mass produce a center console configured boat. The SSL is a stark departure in design, probably because of customer complaints in which they demanded more storage and a maintenance free interior (no more polyurethane wood). How about all the storage the Super Sport Limited has to offer? Well, you cannot get access to fuel tanks while underway. That's because the rear hatch when opened makes it really difficult to reach anything, that is unless you are a gymnast. The two plexiglass windshields were a fragile impediment to persons on board, again, in any sea condition that is greater than 1 foot of chop. During my first ride, a passenger used the windshield as a brace when we hit a wave and it broke off. A day later I pulled the interior out - it was late fall season already. By June the next year, I had outfitted the BW17 hull with a traditional FP Nauset/Sakonnet/Eastport mahogany console, pew-style pilot seat, and rear bench seat. If anyone ever visits Fort Lauderdale, the boat is now being used by its current owner as a commercial water taxi. In terms of resale value, the buyer paid more than 3 times what I originally paid for the SSL-configured BW17 boat.

Edited by Weatherly on 07/16/17 - 7:46 AM

Weatherly
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/17 - 12:54 PM

I updated my personal website to include photographs of the SSL conversion to a Custom 17.

johnstout
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/17 - 7:40 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought the 17ft 1988 SSL. The boat is in very good shape. The SSL interior is in excellent shape. I know that I'll get chastised for this but I am going to convert it to a center console boat. Does anyone know anybody that would be interested in the SSL interior, rails and gas tank?

TransFueler
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/17 - 11:57 PM
Personal Page

To each his own... I looked specifically for a Super Sport Limited. We vastly prefer the layout over the more common center console. But, I realize most people want the "popular" model. For our use, lake cruising & fishing, the SSL is very comfortable for four to cruise, and two or three to fish.

I wouldn't trade my cool Super Sport Limited for a plain old "Montauk"...

Also, Joe Kriz; Boston Whaler never made a "Super Sport Unlimited". I know you are a stickler for accuracy and didn't want you to be confused about the super terrific, authentic Super Sport Limited boats.

Joe Kriz wrote:
Spend some time looking around WhalerCentral.
Here is another section on members personal pages.
Scroll down to 17' Super Sport Unlimited models.

Enjoy

Smirk is a 1987 Super Sport Limited 17 w/Johnson/Suzuki 90 EFI four-stroke

Joe Kriz
#18 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/17 - 10:44 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

TransFueler,
Good Catch.
Thanks for pointing out my typo.
Also see post #7 above
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ost_149353

Well Welcome aboard WhalerCentral.

I suggest looking around in the models section then to see what model you are really talking about.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...allery.php

Sounds like you may be describing a "Super Sport Limited" 17' model then.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=48

JRP
#19 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/17 - 2:17 PM

Comments: 2

johnstout wrote:
Well, I went ahead and bought the 17ft 1988 SSL. The boat is in very good shape. The SSL interior is in excellent shape. I know that I'll get chastised for this but I am going to convert it to a center console boat. Does anyone know anybody that would be interested in the SSL interior, rails and gas tank?

Not by me. It's your boat now -- do whatever you want with it.

Weatherly
#20 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/17 - 7:47 AM

John Stout: Congratulations on your purchase of the 1988 Boston Whaler 17 Super Sport Limited. If you have OE spare parts that you want to get rid of, take good photographs of the parts and post them for sale in an ad on your local Craigslist site. You may be surprised at who will contact you to purchase the parts. For example, there was a guy last week who posted photographs online of a Katama model interior he purchased from the west coast and had it shipped to him on the east coast. Since you studied Frank Lloyd Wright's work, I am encouraged you will execute a nice custom design for your boat. Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 1:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.28 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,971,835 unique visits