View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Small Whaler Radios and Antennae
ClevelandBill
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/17 - 12:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have searched this site (and elsewhere) for information and recommendations about VHF radios and antennas for the smallest Whalers, such as mine (a 150 Super Sport) and the other small non-standing-console boats. I already have a handheld.

Not much info is out there.

If you are an owner of such a boat, I would like to hear what you've done for VHF radio, what worked, what did not, etc.

Thank you!

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

ClevelandBill
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/17 - 12:40 PM
Personal Page

I did read elsewhere on this website about the Gam Electronics stainless whip antenna, mounting on an extension, etc. But everybody was talking about center consoles.

Nobody seemed to prefer one radio brand over another ...

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

Airwolf2TV
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/17 - 4:42 PM

Bill

Not sure what the budget is, but here's a couple ideas. I'm kind of an electronics enthusiast and old ham radio guy, so marine electronics are important to me no matter what sized boat!!

Icom and Garmin both make "behind dash" radio units. M400BB and VHF300 respectively. There may be others...that was my 30-second google. This would be a nice clean solution since you can pack the head unit under the console, and just have the handset on the front of console. I'm sure they come with a nice handset bulkhead fitting.

For antenna, use a 3-ft stainless whip with a fixed or movable plastic mount. Looks like there's a few decent locations for that at the helm on your model. I attached a photo of my Montauk console where I use that antenna and mount. I would avoid anything with extensions and moving parts. On my mount, if I need to swing it back for storage or whatever, simple crank of the knob and it locks tilted back at any position. You could even consider a fixed-mount rubber-ducky antenna if range isn't that much of an objective. The 3-ft whip works very well me on the Chesapeake...even have amazing AIS coverage on GPS screen.

Hope this helps!!

Nick

Airwolf2TV attached the following image:

[97.4Kb]

butchdavis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/17 - 6:22 AM

Bill,

The primary use of a VHF radio on very small boats is to communicate with the USCG or law enforcement. If you are in sight of land your hand held unit and it's rubber ducky antenna should be adequate for monitoring channel 16 and for contacting officials for help. Although the old salts may disagree, I believe a cell phone is also a very viable backup for your handheld VHF.

Are you able to receive Notices to Mariners and other calls from the USCG on your hand held?

Butch

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/17 - 9:22 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I have had fixed mount VHFs and portables; 4' Whip and 8' fiberglass antennas.

For your size boat and the area you are in, I would consider a portable waterproof VHF with GPS on your PDF.

If you stand up and use the VHF, you will be higher than a 4' antenna on the boat. I wore the portable when boating alone.

One added feature is if you go overboard, you can send a mayday.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

shooten
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/17 - 11:50 AM

I just bought a Standard Horizon GX1700. It's got a really small form factor and built in GPS. Lot's features for $150 or so. I"m in a 13 foot Whaler Super Sport Classic going near shore and bay. Two is one, one is none in my opinion. Having the second radio on your vest is a great idea. Cell phone providers don't usually point their antennas towards the water in my area. I'm more likely to be calling 911 in Mexico than the US. YMMV.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 11:49 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,044,121 unique visits