View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Basic Wiring Diagram on how to install a dual battery switch
Cpelcher
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/17 - 6:52 AM

Comments: 0

Good morning. Adding a 2nd battery and battery switch and I'm looking for a basic diagram or advice on the wiring for this. Been online, looked at a bunch of different diagrams and they all seem a little different to me. Just need the basic setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Chris

PurrSeaStance
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/17 - 9:46 AM
Personal Page

In it's very basic use: Think of the 2 battery switch as a device to choose which battery (or both in "All" setting) to charge from your engine's alternator. This will also make the connection to the selected battery for re-starting the engine.
The red leads (positive) of the batteries are placed on the outside legs of the switch and the alternator + in the center of the switch (The part that rotates). All battery selector switches you buy should come with their specific diagram but this is the basic idea. The negative leads are all connected together on a bus. Make sure you use appropriately sized battery cables depending upon the distance from battery and the calculated voltage drop. Best practice is to keep the batteries and switch close together. Hope that helps a bit? Will

Wishin I was fishin!

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/17 - 1:41 PM

Comments: 2

Blue Sea Systems is a good resource:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650...Kit_-_120A

Mjfnet
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/17 - 7:45 PM
Personal Page

I installed the BlueSea system mentioned above this winter on my 170. I used the resources on their site they gave a lot o information there. The also have an iPhone app. The hardest part for me was going through the wire gauge charts deciding on what gauge to use and what size fuses to use. I leaned towards the larger side on the wire and not too large on the fuses when they were close. I couldn't be happier many trips so far this spring and plenty of power for starting and for my downrigger, depth finders etc.

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/17 - 7:44 PM

The Blue Sea system allows for both batteries to always charge with one battery isolated. No issues as with the Perko switch where if you leave it on both......a bad battery can drain the charge of the good one. There is a "combine" feature with the Blue Sea system which allows the isolated battery to "jump" the other if it loses charge. Do study the installation.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 11:49 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,028,821 unique visits