View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Outrage V-20 what to look out for
Petrus
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/17 - 1:49 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have found a Outrage V-20 that I might be interested in buying.

What should I look out for except the usual like water in the foam.

I have read about fuel tank problems. How do I easiest find out if it is in good condition? Do I need to unscrew the hatch over the fueltank?
Is it difficult and does it have to be resealed or is there some kind of gasket?

Any other specific problems to look out for on this model?

Edit: After some searching I understand that it's a lot of work to inspect the fuel tank as you have to remove the console, right?
Any other ways to find out if the fuel tank is bad?

Here is the boat:
https://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Bosto...16&w=3

Many thanks

Edited by Petrus on 06/01/17 - 6:41 AM
1997 Montauk 17, Suzuki DF90A

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/17 - 7:10 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The boat sits in the water very well, not appearing to be water in hull.

The photo showing the floor is not original. My guess is it became soft and was replaced with something else.

The engine rigging into the floor is not original.

There is a chance fuel tank may have been replaced. Think original was plastic.

The standard cover is screwed down and sealed with caulk. It is removable. After removal, just run a bead of marine sealant (not adhesive) along the seam.

Open the inspection ports in the floor and check the hoses. Have they been replaced?

In USD the boat would be $11,500 but that means nothing given we don't know boat values there.

Would love to come over and look at it for you but it is a bit far.

Edited by Phil T on 06/01/17 - 7:20 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Petrus
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/17 - 7:47 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Phil,

It's very populare to put teak on the floor in this part of Sweden as there are lot of boat builders/producers in this area (most sailingboats) with traditions in building wooden boats.
I am pretty sure that the original floor is covered with teak (notched? ribs) which you often see on the deck of sailing boats.

But maybe the engine rigging indicates that the floor might has been replaced/modified like you say?

I read at Continoues Wave that a few had plastic fueltanks but seems that most have aluminium.

I'm very curious of this boat and will try to have a look at it in a couple of weeks if it's not sold.

The asking price is about $ 11.000 :)

Edited by Petrus on 06/01/17 - 7:53 AM

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/17 - 11:03 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Dave Buckalew replaced his deck lid on his Outrage 18 and finished it with teak veneer planks. Impressive.

In looking at a used boat, I go by condition. How does it look?

Is the bottom paint faded? Water line straight?
Are there rust stains on the fittings?
Sun fading?
Is the gelcoat shiny or dull?
Torn cushions?

Posted photos from more than 2 years ago can hide condition.

Let us know how it goes.

1992 Outrage 17 I

chawk25
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/17 - 7:01 PM

I've been to Sweden few times (Goteborg) but I don't speak your language. What does it mean "fast tank"? Does it mean new tank? That would indicate the tank has been replaced. Ask the owner about it. Check the fuel hoses for age. If they look new that also means possibly that tank has been replaced. I don't think there were plastic tanks made for the 18' or 20' Outrage models. I have 18' and it has alu. tank and I would like to replace it with plastic - nobody in the USA makes them. I know corrosion is not a big factor in the Baltic Sea due to low salinity therefore the Mercury outboard should be ok. Perform compression check on the motor or have mechanic look at it. Good luck!

Petrus
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/17 - 1:29 AM
Personal Page

@chawk25
"Fast tank" means fixed/built in fueltank
Google translate:
"Boston Whaler probably from the 1980s. "Swivel seats". Stern sofa. Icebox. Mercury 200 hp Optimax approx 2002. Stainless steel propeller. Fixed tank. Dual batteries. Garmin echo sounder. Several rod holders. Lanterns, anchor, moorings ...
Sparingly driven. Shipyard service every year. Stored indoors (in winter I assume). The boat is located at Stocken Orust."

I asked the owner about the condition of the boat like spidercracks, or other damages and if he knew about the condition of th fueltank,
He replied:
Peter, thank you for your interest. The boat is as you know old and has got its thorns. No big damage but, of course, the gelcoat is scratched here and there. It needs a review to become tip top. I don't know about the fueltank more than the gas meter does not work. The instrument specifies the percentage of fuel so I've never bothered.
Get back when you can visit. The boat is not sold yet ....

@Phil T , Why do you think the pictures are more than 2 years old?
Any way it's not very good photos.

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/17 - 5:37 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I don't know if they are old.

Sometimes sellers don't have current photos, are lazy or only want to show the boat looking good. Good to check.

There are not many V-20's. So it is a bit unique.

I would imagine it would be a good hull for the water conditions and does not need alot of hp for its size.

1992 Outrage 17 I

Joe Emslie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/17 - 2:23 PM
Personal Page

Hello Petra', I have a 1978 v20 and have had it for a few years. Mine is very similar to the one you are looking at. I currently have an etec 175 hp and that is sufficient. May I suggest that you take the port side fuel filler hose cover off and have a look in there. Also take a good luck at the drain plugs to see if they have been changed or intact. I can send a few pics for comparison if you wish. Don't be shy to ask any questions. Also they do have a tendency to porpoise

Petrus
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/17 - 5:32 AM
Personal Page

I asume that it is possible to put a kicker next to the 200hp Otimax.
But would the weight be a concern as the main engine is allready over rated?

sako
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/17 - 4:29 AM

@Petrus , did you buy this boat and were you able to find out about anything more about it?

Regards,

Jim

Petrus
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/17 - 8:42 AM
Personal Page

@sako I had a look at it today, it sits good in the water so probably not much water in the foam/hull.
The floor was all covered with teak, so it's not possible to remove the cover over the fueltank with out breaking the teak floor.
The engine rigging did not go in to the floor, it just looked like that in the photos. It went out to the side.
The boat was quite worn . Too much work for me right now.
I have some pictures I can send you.
I didn't see the seller/owner. The boat was at a marina close to my summer house, so I only spoke to the seller on the phone and went there by my self to have a look. The marina/ mercury dealer was going to have a look at the motor so everything was ok.
Also the cussions were in very bad shape
There was an anchor in the splash well with quite lot of rust. So rust stains on gelcoat.
Drain tubes needed to be changed.
One small damage in the gunwale/ front (hole) so some water must have come in to the hull.
The teak on the gunwales were in pretty bad shape
The boat needed some work.
But if you have some time it's probably a good projekt.

Edited by Petrus on 06/24/17 - 10:08 AM

sako
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/17 - 11:48 AM

@Petrus Thanks a lot for your answer!! Much appreciated!

Well I suspected this as it has been for sale for a long time and also listed last year I think.

But please do send some pics so I can make up my mind. My email is in my profile.

I am on the East coast of Sweden and I don´t really have much time to fix a boat right now but I am always tempted and I am very keen to get me a Whaler.

Thanks again!

Jim

Petrus
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/17 - 2:30 AM
Personal Page

I can't see your email in your profil

Have you seen this one?
https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Bost...16&w=3
Looks good, but not the classic hull

sako wrote:
@Petrus Thanks a lot for your answer!! Much appreciated!

Well I suspected this as it has been for sale for a long time and also listed last year I think.

But please do send some pics so I can make up my mind. My email is in my profile.

I am on the East coast of Sweden and I don´t really have much time to fix a boat right now but I am always tempted and I am very keen to get me a Whaler.

Thanks again!

Jim

Edited by Petrus on 06/28/17 - 3:01 AM

varecharno
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/17 - 7:32 AM

Sorry for the syntax ; i'm from france.

I have bought this year an Outrage 20 (1988).
I heard too that the tank may be a problem due to shock or corrosion.

A first thing to check can be : open the access hatches and check the ground cables (there are 2 cables).
If it's cut, the tank's metal is corroded

Mine was at limit but i didn't have to change the tank ; just a new "painting"

Edited by varecharno on 06/29/17 - 7:36 AM

mathiasrosenblad
#15 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/17 - 6:15 AM

I bought the boat. My first Whaler so I'm new to the forum.

Have been looking for this model for 10 years so I couldn't resist despite the condition. Looking forward to spending many hours on repairs and touch up!

Petrus: I have my summer house near Mollösund so we will probably meet some day.

Phil T
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/17 - 6:24 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Mathias -

Congratulations and welcome to WC.

Would love to see photos and see your progress in getting it ready for use.

There are alot of resources here for repairs, and so on.Post any questions you have in the Repairs forum.

1992 Outrage 17 I

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 5:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.41 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,695,061 unique visits