View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1989 BW 27 FC Scupper/Flapper Question
HTownGuppy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 4:30 AM

Comments: 0

Hello all,

I've scoured the internet in search of a scupper/flapper valve replacement for my 1989 Full Cabin 27. The drain looks like an extended piece of PVC pipe that runs several inches outside the transom. I have one flapper valve on there now which is actually an exhaust flapper valve like the one in this link: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra...80_011_525

The OD for the drain pipe is 2 1/2 inches and the only flapper valve replacements I've found are 3" and 4".

Has anyone replaced one of these and found a flapper valve that is 2 1/2 inches? Or have you just used the 3 inch and tightened it down really tight? This is one area that I don't want to miscalculate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris

1986 Boston Whaler 27FC - Restoration/Modification

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 6:16 AM

You may be able to go to a plumbing supplier and look at rubber couplings. A professional shop.....not a Lowe's or Home Depot. They carry rubber adapting bushings (those bushings were all over the map when clay and terra cotta pipe was being used....not so much anymore) from transitioning different outside diameters of the same size pipe. An example would be 3" cast iron to a.b.s. For that transition I buy an additional 3" no hub cast iron coupling. Cut it in half leaving me two shorter intact rings and I use one of the rings over the smaller outside diameter so as not to get the horrid distorted connection on the smaller pipe. They also have transition couplings.....3" to 2". Best to have your fittings and an example of pipe hand and play with the different manufacturers. A Fernco coupling much thicker than no hub. You might get creative and get a rubber cap that fits well and make one. That is, of coarse, unless some one has a source for the correct part. Good luck.
Garris

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 6:46 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Chris -

Any chance you can post a photo of the pipe? Does your Whaler 27FC have the whaler drive?

Is this a modification by a prior owner. It does not read like something Boston Whaler would design.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

HTownGuppy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:12 PM

Mine has an Armstrong bracket on the rear which was just added by the previous owner. So I think you're correct that this might be a modification to the drain pipes.

When I remember how to post the pic I'll put that up. I think I have my PhotoBucket login at the house and will have to do that this evening.

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:27 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I took this from another member's flicker album. This is the rear of a 27FC with the factory Whalerdrive.

Is this what we are talking about?

Phil T attached the following image:

[111.9Kb]
1992 Outrage 17 I

HTownGuppy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:35 PM

I just uploaded a picture of the transom to my Personal Website. So if you click on the Personal Website link below HTownGuppy on the left then you will see the transom.

If you can't see the picture please let me know and I will try to embed it.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:45 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I see it.

Wow. I was going to say that is not original until I searched for the Whaler 27 with the sea drive option.

Look at this:

I would contact Sue Lodel, Parts Guru and awesome service provider and Twin Cities Marine.
She has the touch and can find almost anything.

www.beacontcm.com

Phil T attached the following image:

[24.33Kb]
Edited by Phil T on 04/25/17 - 2:47 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I

HTownGuppy
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:49 PM

Phil T wrote:
I took this from another member's flicker album. This is the rear of a 27FC with the factory Whalerdrive.

Is this what we are talking about?

That is not what mine looks like. Mine is the Armstrong bracket which I think is aluminum. If that is what was originally on mine then mine is definitely modified.

What I might do is just trim those two drain pipes flush with the transom and then put a regular scupper that mounts directly to the transom. I think that would be easier and safer than me worrying about getting the flapper valve to fit. I just don't want to be out on the water and have a flapper fall off, which could actually happen since it's just held on there with a hose clamp.

HTownGuppy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:52 PM

Phil T wrote:
I see it.

Wow. I was going to say that is not original until I searched for the Whaler 27 with the sea drive option.

Look at this:

I would contact Sue Lodel, Parts Guru and awesome service provider and Twin Cities Marine.
She has the touch and can find almost anything.

www.beacontcm.com

Wow! That is exactly what the two flapper valves look like! But I have the Armstrong bracket that the engines mount to. What a great find. And thank you for the input as I'll probably call Sue.

Phil T
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 2:57 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Chris

I understand. I was only posting the last photo to show the large diameter deck drain.

It can't hurt giving Sue a call. She may be able to find the right diameter.

[This a cross post]

Edited by Phil T on 04/25/17 - 2:58 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I

Finnegan
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/17 - 10:56 PM

Comments: 16

All of the full transom Whalers of the late 80's, 1987-1990 had those emergency water evacuation drains, installed at floor level. Remembering that these hulls were initially designed as cut transom models, by filling in the "cut/notch", the way to quickly get a large amount of water out of the boat was gone. So the floor drains were put in, usually going both through the splashwell dam and the transom itself. Only the Sea Drive or full inboard versions had these Salisbury flappers. On the Whaler Drive models, the drain is concealed behind the Whaler Drive unit, and the PVC is left uncovered, since the Whaler Drive unit prevents most of the back flow into the boat.

My full transom 25, ordered as a Sea Drive Blank model for intended installation of an Armstrong bracket as an alternative to a Whaler Drive unit, also has these, done with 3" OD PVC pipe. If yours has 2-1/2" piping, it is aftermarket, which is obvious in the way it is cut off. I would buy some 3" OD pipe, and glue it over the smaller pipe, then install the 3" exhaust flappers. You can see my factory installation here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...6&o=14

Regarding the Armstrong bracket on your boat, just by looking at the photos I can tell that whoever installed it didn't know what they were doing. It is installed way too low on the transom. Clearly your boat left the factory as a Sea Drive model, which engines were removed, the transom re-worked and filled in, and the bracket then installed. A deep hull like the 27 Whaler requires twin counter rotating 30" engines, which is how the conversion should have been done, and which would place the bracket higher on the transom, to keep engines drier, provide better performance and better appearance, etc. The clue is that the the top of the platform appears to be at water level, a bad detail. This also indicates they purchased twin 25" engines rather than the 30" engines that should have been purchased, assuming the conversion was done after 1992, when 30" engines first appeared for the 225 and up hp engines, all brands.

Here is the part you want:

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/SB-EG...-EG300.htm

Sierra (a Sea Star Solutions company) evidently took over the Salisbury company. I also notice they have a less expensive version by Sea choice.

Edited by Finnegan on 04/25/17 - 11:17 PM

HTownGuppy
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/17 - 8:09 PM

Hi Finnegan, I’ve been out of the loop on Whaler Central for some time and did not see your response. I greatly appreciate the response though and am going to glue a 3” pipe over the 2.5” and then place the flapper valves over that.

The part that has me a bit worried though is the transom part that you mentioned. I did not do this conversion to the Armstrong bracket so I didn’t have any say in how they installed it. The boat currently has twin 275 Mercury Verado counter rotating 30” outboards. The Armstrong bracket has a slight rise where the engines are mounted to it so they are sitting a good foot and a half above where the Armstrong bracket is attached to the transom at it’s highest point. I’m hoping that I don’t roll that thing down the ramp and realize both engines are underwater. That would be horrible. If it’s between that and reinstalling the Armstrong bracket it’s much rather have that done even though it would be a real pain in the, er, transom.

Anyway, thanks again and I’ll keep people posted on the progress.

HTownGuppy
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/09/17 - 5:57 PM

After this big discussion with the flappers I went ahead and just ordered 3” flappers and they work fine. I have no idea how I measured the OD for the PVC but I must have. THank you all for your help with this! -Chris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 12:53 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shelbysails
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,010
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,957,608 unique visits