View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1993 Outrage 19 - Sump Drain Access
19outrage
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/17 - 8:10 AM

Comments: 0

Inherited a 1993 Outrage 19 that was covered in dry-dock over the winter. Reading other posts I am assuming the sump drain was unplugged during this time to allow rain, snow and other condensation to drain as a precaution.

A local marina just performed general maintenance and launched so the boat is docked in the water.

The boat is now taking on water that the electric sump is draining, so I am assuming the sump drain was not plugged prior to launching.

Knowing very little about this boat, can that sump drain be accessed and plugged while the boat is in the water. Or does the boat need to be trailered, or raised, and assessed from underneath.

Also, could there be another reason for the water accumulation. It is a center console and I am calling the sump drain as the area just in front of the steering column accessed by lifting the front bench seat.

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/17 - 9:51 AM

Comments: 2

19outrage wrote:
Inherited a 1993 Outrage 19 that was covered in dry-dock over the winter. Reading other posts I am assuming the sump drain was unplugged during this time to allow rain, snow and other condensation to drain as a precaution.

A local marina just performed general maintenance and launched so the boat is docked in the water.

The boat is now taking on water that the electric sump is draining, so I am assuming the sump drain was not plugged prior to launching.

Knowing very little about this boat, can that sump drain be accessed and plugged while the boat is in the water. Or does the boat need to be trailered, or raised, and assessed from underneath.

Also, could there be another reason for the water accumulation. It is a center console and I am calling the sump drain as the area just in front of the steering column accessed by lifting the front bench seat.

I own the same model boat (but a 1992).

There is no "sump drain" nor is there a plug that was forgotten.

The 19 Outrage II is somewhat unusual among classic Whaler models, in that it has an actual bilge, not just a deck drain sump like most models in that size range and from that era. Access to the bilge, as you mentioned, is located on the forward side of the center consul under the seat. Water that accumulates in the low-point of this bilge area is pumped out by a bilge pump, which discharges on the starboard side of the hull above the waterline.

Down in this bilge area there is also a through hull with a seacock, which provides raw water for the live-well in the leaning post, as well as for the deck wash-down pump (if optionally equipped).

In my opinion, this seacock is the most likely source of the water that is being pumped out by the bilge pump. It is possible that a hose was removed or loosened from the sea-cock as part of a winterization or repair/inspection process. The first thing to do is to make certain that this seacock is closed. Then make sure that any hose connected to it is properly secured and not leaking.

Another possibility is that the water accumulating in the bilge is coming from a remote location, such as the scuppers at the stern/transom. If these are improperly bedded and allowing water to leak past the scupper fittings, the water would flow to the forward bilge via a bilge/drain channel under the fuel tank.

Check these possibilities first and report back with findings. We will help you figure this out.

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/17 - 10:00 AM

Also, with respect to the seacock, another possibility is that the boat was not properly winterized and this seacock was damaged by freeze expansion of water. Not knowing where you are located and whether your climate makes this a possibility, makes it difficult to say how likely this possibility is. But you mentioned that you inherited the boat and boats coming from estates often have a degree of (understandable) neglect if their previous owners were very elderly or not well for a period of time.

And, the washdown/feed pump that is mounted immediately adjacent to the seacock could also have been damaged by freeze if not properly winterized. So this should be inspected as a source of a leak too.

So I mention these as additional items to check. If the seacock is freeze damaged, closing it might not help the situation. The boat would need to be removed from the water to be properly repaired.

Edited by JRP on 04/17/17 - 10:24 AM

19outrage
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/17 - 2:44 PM

Comments: 0

Thank you for the info. I will be working on the boat tomorrow. Hope to provide an update.

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/17 - 3:16 AM

Any updates? I'm curious to hear what you learned. Hopefully you found the problem.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 3:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,030,616 unique visits