View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Brunswick, GA visit
EJO
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/07/17 - 12:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

The Admiral and I will be visiting Jekyll and Cumberland Islands and staying in and around Brunswick, GA early April.
I was wondering if there are any active members in that part of the country we might meet up with. I'm leaving my Whaler home.
We'll also take a day to visit Savannah, GA and being in that beautiful area of the country wouldn't mind seeing some from the water.
I checked the members area and there were quite a few names but none have been active on the site for at least 8 years.
Let me know what my wife and I can't miss in that area.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

jcdawg83
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/17 - 10:36 AM

Comments: 0

Since Whalercentral doesn't even list the Southeast as a region in the menu section, I don't think there are too many active members.

I'm in Augusta, about 175 miles from Brunswick. Early April should be a nice time to visit the area. The St. Simons/Jekyll areaa is very nice and so is downtown Savannah. The Georgia coast is unlike FL and SC in that the actual barrier islands and beaches are predominantly undeveloped and can only be reached by boat. St. Simons, Jekyll and Tybee (near Savannah) are the only places where beaches can be accessed by land.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

EJO
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/17 - 8:45 AM
Personal Page

jcdawg83 thanks for the reply.
A good way to see if there are any members in your area is to go to the "Members Information" pick "Members Location" and pick the city or close to where you are or want to be and it will show up. Pretty nice system except in my case the members seem to have left or are inactive.
Like in Augusta, GA it shows two people (not including you)

Skipper E-J

EJO
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/17 - 9:42 AM
Personal Page

jcdawg83 wrote:
Since Whalercentral doesn't even list the Southeast as a region in the menu section, I don't think there are too many active members.

I'm in Augusta, about 175 miles from Brunswick. Early April should be a nice time to visit the area. The St. Simons/Jekyll areaa is very nice and so is downtown Savannah. The Georgia coast is unlike FL and SC in that the actual barrier islands and beaches are predominantly undeveloped and can only be reached by boat. St. Simons, Jekyll and Tybee (near Savannah) are the only places where beaches can be accessed by land.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

We did enjoy our trip. the weather was great. We visited all the islands and think Tybee is like Hilton Head, over populated and commercialized, Jekyll was a disappointment with exception of "Driftwood beach", St.Simon/Sea Island was a great surprise and we loved it. the right mixture of development and old town/real estate and nice beaches.
Rented a boat for a day and did the back waters/rivers and ICW. Disappointed with that as you can't use the water other than getting from point A to point B. You could fish but you can't swim in it due to alligators and sharks as was evidenced by the alligators we saw sunning on the banks at low tide and the news about a NJ teenage being bitten by a shark while we were there.
Back to the Great Lakes with not so great weather all the time but sweet water with no sharks.

Skipper E-J

jcdawg83
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/17 - 12:38 PM

Comments: 0

EJO, glad you had an overall nice trip. Tybee is a blue collar version of Hilton Head and Jekyll is owned by the state and development is pretty tightly regulated. I've never been a huge Jekyll fan, there's not much to do on the island. St. Simon/Sea Island is a nice area. It has a nice mix of permanent and vacation homes and has a pretty healthy year round, non tourist economy.

I'm glad you got to rent a boat and see the marsh and back waters. Navigation can be tricky if you're not familiar with the area and the way the tides move sand and silt. Honestly, you wouldn't have had any real worries about sharks or alligators if you had gone swimming. If you had a dog with you, the gators might have been a concern if he was in the water but they aren't going to bother you at all. The sharks are just part of life, you pay your money you take your chances. There probably aren't 2 shark bites a year on the whole Georgia coast and those are generally in murky beach zones where the shark mistakes a person's foot for something else it usually eats.

Hope you found some good places to eat and saw some interesting things. Come back and see us again.

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/17 - 1:50 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

E-J

I though you were going to bring your Montauk 150 down with you.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 3:36 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,701,427 unique visits