View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Old Motor Boating Magazines
mdplunkett
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/16/16 - 5:48 PM

Comments: 0

Shot in the dark.

As some of you know, I'm working (and nearly finished) with my forthcoming book on the history of Boston Whaler.

I'm looking for the June 1966 edition of Motor Boating magazine. Fisher-Pierce ran an advertisement calling for action against environmental degradation. From what I understand, Dick Fisher wrote all of the copy at this time, so it's an interesting window to view his dry sense of humor and passion for the preservation of the wild spaces out there.

Any hoarders?

Thanks,
Matthew Plunkett
(removed email per guideline #4 at the top of this page)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/17/16 - 9:43 AM

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/16 - 3:59 AM

Comments: 2

Having grown up not too far from the production facility in Rockland, I am surprised to hear that BW had an environmental conscience. The resin odor coming from that plant was so noxious, our ability to hold our breath was tested even driving past on the highway at 60 mph. Anyone who lived in the surrounding neighborhoods would have suffered terribly. There was a lot of celebration when that plant closed down and moved away to Florida.

mdplunkett
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/16 - 6:29 AM

You are absolutely correct. There's a degree of irony, or perhaps short-sightedness on Fisher's part, that his concern for environmental protection did not begin in his own factory.

I've spoken to a number of people who worked on the floor, including Henry Smith, whose career at Whaler began in 1958, and the stories are all the same. Fumes, fibers so thick in the air that you couldn't see and little to no protective equipment for the workers.

Reel Easy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/16 - 8:15 AM

Comments: 1

JRP: Were there increased incidence of respiratory ailments in the area at that time?

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/16 - 8:24 AM

Comments: 2

Reel Easy wrote:
JRP: Were there increased incidence of respiratory ailments in the area at that time?

No idea. It was the '60s, '70s, and '80s. No one seemed to monitor that sort of thing back then -- industrial polution was a given. It's only in the past 25 years or so that folks have smartened up. I suspect that had something to do with the move to Florida.

I do know the air was thick with resin fumes in a large radius around that plant -- it was nasty. Can't imagine what working conditions were like inside, and don't doubt the description above.

mdplunkett
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/16 - 9:54 AM

The state of Massachusetts began tightening regulations surrounding manufacturing, not just boat building, for the health reasons cited by JRP. As Whaler looked to expand in 1986 and consolidate its three factories into one, the response from towns like Marshfield made it clear that the Bay State was not as welcoming an environment as other states. Enter Florida.

JRP wrote:
Reel Easy wrote:

No idea. It was the '60s, '70s, and '80s. No one seemed to monitor that sort of thing back then -- industrial polution was a given. It's only in the past 25 years or so that folks have smartened up. I suspect that had something to do with the move to Florida.

I do know the air was thick with resin fumes in a large radius around that plant -- it was nasty. Can't imagine what working conditions were like inside, and don't doubt the description above.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 5:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,981,230 unique visits