View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1984 Evinrude 90 trim/tilt problem
Perry Vayo
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/16 - 9:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

The trim/tilt on my old 1984 VRO 90 is not working properly. It goes down, but will not go up. The motor works in both directions and sounds normal, but the engine doesn't move upward. I haven't used the engine/boat this year, but it was working last fall when I put it away.

The only thing I did that might impact things is I opened the relief valve so I could tilt the motor up manually to move it. When I lowered it back down - with the valve open - hydraulic fluid came out of the valve, so I tightened the screw back down, and rather than the engine holding position, I was able to lower it the rest of the way by hand.

Now the battery in back in and the tilt/trim pump seems to be working normally, but the engine doesn't tilt up.

Did I manage to get air in the system somehow? How do you "bleed' the air out?

Could it be the fluid is now too low? How do you check the level/refill it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

(please follow guideline #1 at the top of this page and use the full 4 digit year)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/23/16 - 11:23 AM

Perichbrothers
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/16 - 9:47 AM

Comments: 0

There should be a big kinda obvious plug.
Open it and fill it up!
TP

Perry Vayo
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/16 - 6:11 PM
Personal Page

Perichbrothers wrote:
There should be a big kinda obvious plug.
Open it and fill it up!
TP

That sounds too simple. ;-)

mtown
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/16 - 8:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Almost certainly low fluid if you can hear the tilt motor running.

My snowplow looses small amounts of fluid and after a point will not lift. Add fluid and all is well again.
I think you will get the most fluid in it if you raise it all the way, block it in place and then add fluid.
With the rams all the way up there is more room for fluid.

Perry Vayo
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/16 - 10:27 AM
Personal Page

mtown wrote:
Almost certainly low fluid if you can hear the tilt motor running.

My snowplow looses small amounts of fluid and after a point will not lift. Add fluid and all is well again.
I think you will get the most fluid in it if you raise it all the way, block it in place and then add fluid.
With the rams all the way up there is more room for fluid.

Thanks. Great input. Now, if I can just get the darned reservoir screw out, I'll be golden. ;-)

mtown
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/16 - 5:33 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Yeah, it is probably a steel bolt into an aluminum body.

Perry Vayo
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/16 - 5:50 PM
Personal Page

After much wrenching and cursing, I got the plug to break free. Tried adding fluid, but, it didn't seem to want to take much at all.

I noticed that pressure was escaping at the manual override valve. Tried to tighten, but it didn't want to go too much farther. Then while manually cycling the engine up and down - with the valve closed - noticed fluid leaking out of the valve.

Is there a seal on that screw that might have worn out or broken off due to age? Can I just unscrew the valve and replace the seal? Anyone have a parts diagram?

Thanks.

Walt Krafft
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/16 - 1:01 AM

Perry,
For a parts diagram and to order parts go to
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?...p;siteid=1
I have the complete shop manual. I will look today at the instructions for filling the trim unit.

Perry Vayo
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/16 - 6:59 AM
Personal Page

Walt Krafft wrote:
Perry,
For a parts diagram and to order parts go to
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?...p;siteid=1
I have the complete shop manual. I will look today at the instructions for filling the trim unit.

Thanks! That would be a great help.

Walt Krafft
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/16 - 1:59 PM

The manual relief valve should not leak. To inspect and/or replace its o-ring, screw the valve all the way in. Remove the snap ring. Unscrew the valve and it will come all the way out.
To fill the system: Lift the motor completely up and engage the tilt lock. The oil reservoir is on the right, the trim motor is on the left. The fill plug is about 1/2 way up the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid up to the plug and install the plug but don't tighten it. Disengage the tilt lock. Cycle the system all the way down and all the way up. Refill the reservoir. Repeat through at least 5 complete cycles. The oil should be up to the plug with the trim and tilt cylinders completely extended. Tighten the plug when the system is full. "Dexron ATF" is the proper oil to use.
Hope this helps.

Perry Vayo
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/16 - 4:18 PM
Personal Page

Walt Krafft wrote:
The manual relief valve should not leak. To inspect and/or replace its o-ring, screw the valve all the way in. Remove the snap ring. Unscrew the valve and it will come all the way out.
To fill the system: Lift the motor completely up and engage the tilt lock. The oil reservoir is on the right, the trim motor is on the left. The fill plug is about 1/2 way up the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid up to the plug and install the plug but don't tighten it. Disengage the tilt lock. Cycle the system all the way down and all the way up. Refill the reservoir. Repeat through at least 5 complete cycles. The oil should be up to the plug with the trim and tilt cylinders completely extended. Tighten the plug when the system is full. "Dexron ATF" is the proper oil to use.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Walt. That's great info. Can the relief valve be removed with the trim/tilt unit still installed on the boat?

Walt Krafft
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/16 - 4:34 PM

The snap ring is actually in the motor mount not the trim unit. You will need a pair of internal snap ring pliers. Once you get the snap ring out the valve will just screw out. A new o-ring could probably be found locally.

Perry Vayo
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/16 - 6:20 PM
Personal Page

Walt Krafft wrote:
The snap ring is actually in the motor mount not the trim unit. You will need a pair of internal snap ring pliers. Once you get the snap ring out the valve will just screw out. A new o-ring could probably be found locally.

Okay, found the problem. Somehow the retaining ring (snap ring) got caught under the valve. It was sort of twisted and not allowing the valve to close down properly. I managed to get it out with a set of tiny needle nose pliers, but it scored the valve and the O ring is now pretty knarled up. I hope that just replacing the O-ring will take care of it. I'll try that first I guess.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 12:57 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,062,168 unique visits