View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Inflatable PFD Recommendations
ClevelandBill
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/16 - 7:59 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

It looks like several years have gone by since the last PDF thread in these discussion groups. Hope I'm not repeating something all over again.

I am considering an inflatable PDF for myself and for my wife. My kids are in Type III jackets, though I am considering stepping them back to a plain-old orange Type II, for its better turning characteristics.

My main reason for inflatable is comfort, both heat and bulkiness.

So ...

1) Do you like inflatables? Why or why not?

2) Whose do you like, or more specifically what model do you like? Why?

3) Are there any you hate? Why?

4) Automatic, Manual, or both??

5) What don't I know about inflatables? Any secret knowledge to share?

6) Does West private-label someone else's PFDs?

Any advice appreciated!

Bill

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/16 - 8:32 PM

You are required to wear an inflatable PFD the minute you step on my boat. I have a personal one with pockets which holds my ACR Epirb. I wear it on other person's boats. I use the offshore that are rated for ocean use (I forget the miles out....for my commercial Penn Yan I am required to have immersion suits). I do not even know it is on. I personally do not pay attention to minimum Coast Guard standards. Both my Whaler and Penn Yan have life rings and not the silly life cushions which would do squat in an emergency. Also think ladder for getting back in the boat. I am strictly salt water but would have the same equipment on fresh water boat. Water just as easy to drown. The self inflating (with manual cord) are required to be worn to be considered part of the boat. They generally run a little over $100 on sale at different times.
Garris

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/16 - 5:46 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

No pdf, no ride, no exceptions.

I don't do inflatables. Expensive, require maintenance, not guaranteed to work. Vanity at its worst.

Even in 90 degree weather, I wear a full size PDF. It is not about comfort or style, it's about safety. In the winter, it helps keep you warm.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the orange color and reflective panels are also important for locating you in the water. (Check my thumbnail photo)

Edited by Phil T on 06/02/16 - 7:51 AM

Royboy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/16 - 6:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

In the past, I've always worn a ski vest with a submersable VHF radio attached when boating alone, and also require my passengers to don one when it gets rough. However, I just ordered a couple of inflatable vests from West Marine, who has a sale until June 5th 40% all PFD's.

butchdavis
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/16 - 7:34 AM

Bill,

I like inflatables and always use one. On our small Whalers with little storage space they are ideal.

I like the fit and comfort of the West Marine coastal models. They are currently on sale at 40% off. IMO, a pretty decent buy. The guy's model is blue while the ladies get purple. Other than color I can't tell any difference. The different colors are useful so we don't grab each others PFDs and have to go through the switch or changing the adjustments.

They have a belt model that I use only for fishing as it allows a bit more mobility.

Butch

wrangler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/16 - 4:25 AM

I am Retired USCG and now in the USCG Auxiliary. When on Official Patrol under orders the Only Inflatable the USCG approves us to wear is the Mustang MD3183 v22. The USCG rates this jacket at a 50 mph impact rating. It costs over $250.

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/16 - 7:42 AM

Wrangler,
Thanks for posting that spec. I noticed when pricing the inflatables.....you get what you pay for with quality of construction. My understanding is once you go higher end the cartridge deployment was pretty much the same but the accessories and fabric weaves brought up the cost. Interesting when I called up the Coast Guard for boat inspection in CA. For my immersion suits they said the light needed to be Coast Guard approved but the fellows in the Coast Guard use a non approved light (I forget the manufacturer). Great product. Sometimes the quality is there but jumping through bureaucratic paperwork has some companies "beg off" getting the stamp. Sometimes they go with winning government bid.
Garris

Cape Fear
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/16 - 9:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Try it on first. If you're larger than average, it might not feel comfortable on the back of your neck. The Mustangs look like they have more room. Be sure to periodically do the oral inflation test per instructions, even when it's new.

Cape Codder
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/16 - 6:01 AM

Last year I bought 2 of the Mustang MD3183 as mentioned above.
These are considered "expensive", but the quality is clearly there.
They are HYDROSTATIC activated, or need to be submerged in a couple of inches of water to activate. Large amounts of spray or super high humidity will have no effect on these PFD's, like the one's that dissolve a "pill". But, you can still activate manually at any time.
The Mustang 3183 is truly comfortable, which is the key to having it being used.
Quality costs more.
I searched for several weeks online until I saw a great price, and pulled the trigger. These are the best available, and worn by the professionals.

wezie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/16 - 8:06 AM

The most important information concerning inflatables is:
They are not Set Up when you buy them. You must complete the "arming", primarily by installing the CO2 cartridge. That also increases your knowledge of the vest.
They must be worn to count toward the number of your required vests on board.

They need to be Comfortable, with no edges rubbing your neck.
Mustang does good work, and is probably the best.
Others are good, but remember comfort issues with all.

Price refills, recharging kit prices and availability.
Actually try the vest once, "go jump in the lake". Sure it costs to rearm it, but now you know how it works.

The issue is neither black or white. Open up an inflatable and you will discover that they are highly visible when inflated. More so than most life jackets. This includes reflective patches.
As to maintenance, you are correct; they need to be maintained as directed.
"One more maintenance headache OR just another check list item", which ever you choose?
After owning and using them for 15 years, My opinion is that they will last well, but need a bit more attention and care than the average jacket. If they are to be thrown down and forgotten, they should not be in the inventory.
The cost is higher than I like, but I will wear one more than the others.
As weather and activities change, I move to regular vests.
Inflatable jackets are another tool which will not do everything, but are not as hot, are less cumbersome, and may be worn more frequently.

Have fun out there.

ClevelandBill
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/16 - 7:45 AM
Personal Page

Purchased a Kent A-33 vest in orange. This vest uses a standard system that is found in lots of other vests. It is comfortable, with wide straps. On sale for $99 at a big online marine retailer ("D").

It appears that MANY if not MOST of all inflatable PFDs use the same design of inflators, which are actually manufactured by a Japanese company. With the usual Japanese emphasis on Statistical Process Control and Kaizen management, this is very comforting. When it needs to inflate ... it's going to inflate.

The PFD manufacturers incorporate this inflator into various designs of straps, harnesses, etc. All are USCG approved ... or not sold.

That said, the features of the Mustangs are pretty nice. Further, the company has a conscious, explicit commitment to fighting for their customers' safety. If I have any need to change vests, they'll be my next ... and from the big retailers, not much more money at all.

I was swayed by Kent's size range ... which helps barrel-chested fat guy me.

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 5:50 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,974,378 unique visits