View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
LED bulp switch Outrage 19 II
mgoldluecke
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/16 - 5:34 AM

Comments: 0

Hi Guys,

i would like to switch all old bulp's to led ones, means decklights and Navigation lights into the original basments.
Any idea which socket and what kind of power i have to buy?

Many thanks for your support.

brgs

Marc

Whaler for Life...! Cool

jgortva
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/16 - 6:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hello Marc,
I have gone down this same path with my last 2 whalers. Anchor or all around lights can be switched out to LED by pulling the bulb and either going to Dr. LED or west marine but they can be pricey, about half as much as replacing the whole stern light with a led unit. If you use Dr. LED's cross match chart on his website you can get the LED bulbs much cheaper thru superbrightled.com or ebay. As for the red and green nav light, while you can find the bulb replacement kind of the same way you would the stern light bulb, but it will not correctly illuminate. LED light works on wavelengths and the standard white led light will not penetrate the red lens of the nav light fixture. That is why dedicated led nav light fixtures utilize a separate bank of red LED's and green LED's to achieve the illumination. A single bulb fixture really cannot do that. I have seen one combo red and green single bulb from one of the LED websites mentioned above, but it was $35 and a dedicated LED nav light can be had for a few bucks more but it will not be an original matching whaler part. Specialty marine used to sell a "LED bulb conversion kit", for whalers but I read a lot of complaints that the nav light was not bright enough to be seen. So, after all being said, if you want to keep the original whaler fixtures you might be stuck like me with replacing the anchor light with the LED bulb and leaving the nav light with standard incandescent lighting which has worked albeit inefficiently for the last 75 years or so.

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/16 - 6:46 AM

Comments: 2

Great info above. Very useful.

Just one clarification, in case it makes any difference to available LED options: The 19 Outrage II has a split nav light arrangement at the bows. There is a separate port nav light and starboard nav light, each set back a few feet on their respective sides from the stem. This is different from the combined bow nav light on many classic Whaler models including the predecessor Outrage 18 model.

mgoldluecke
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/16 - 11:09 AM

jgortva wrote:
Hello Marc,
I have gone down this same path with my last 2 whalers. Anchor or all around lights can be switched out to LED by pulling the bulb and either going to Dr. LED or west marine but they can be pricey, about half as much as replacing the whole stern light with a led unit. If you use Dr. LED's cross match chart on his website you can get the LED bulbs much cheaper thru superbrightled.com or ebay. As for the red and green nav light, while you can find the bulb replacement kind of the same way you would the stern light bulb, but it will not correctly illuminate. LED light works on wavelengths and the standard white led light will not penetrate the red lens of the nav light fixture. That is why dedicated led nav light fixtures utilize a separate bank of red LED's and green LED's to achieve the illumination. A single bulb fixture really cannot do that. I have seen one combo red and green single bulb from one of the LED websites mentioned above, but it was $35 and a dedicated LED nav light can be had for a few bucks more but it will not be an original matching whaler part. Specialty marine used to sell a "LED bulb conversion kit", for whalers but I read a lot of complaints that the nav light was not bright enough to be seen. So, after all being said, if you want to keep the original whaler fixtures you might be stuck like me with replacing the anchor light with the LED bulb and leaving the nav light with standard incandescent lighting which has worked albeit inefficiently for the last 75 years or so.

many thanks jgortva this support me a lot!

Whaler for Life...! Cool

jgortva
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/16 - 3:00 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

JRP,
thanks for the clarification as I am not a Outrage owner. The boats I converted were a 13 ft classic sport and a 1995 15 ft dauntless.

Marc,
This is good news. In this case you can get 2 LED bulbs from either superbrightleds.com or ebay. Just make sure you order a separate green LED bulb for one fixture and a red LED bulb for the other.

mgoldluecke
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/16 - 11:06 AM

jgortva wrote:
JRP,
thanks for the clarification as I am not a Outrage owner. The boats I converted were a 13 ft classic sport and a 1995 15 ft dauntless.

Marc,
This is good news. In this case you can get 2 LED bulbs from either superbrightleds.com or ebay. Just make sure you order a separate green LED bulb for one fixture and a red LED bulb for the other.

Hi Guys,

due my staying in a hospital, can you tell me which socket i have to buy?

Toplight:https://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ofit/2626/

Green https://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ributes/15

Red https://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-rvb/2543/

Couldnt find anything about the decklights left and right of the console in the usermanual any idea?

many thanks

Edited by mgoldluecke on 05/06/16 - 11:50 AM
Whaler for Life...! Cool

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 5:29 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,625
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,056,717 unique visits