View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Cockpit Bulwarks wood detail
Reel Easy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 6:38 AM

Comments: 1

This post is directed to Finnegan or others that own early 70s Outrage 21 that have the horizontal wood bulwark detail on their boats. I am contemplating replicating that feature on my 1974 Outrage 21 and would like to know how the structure navigates around the aft stantion which is part of the bow railing structure. If a photo of that location exists, please share with me. Thanks for your help.

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 11:27 AM

Comments: 16

I"m not sure I understand what "horizontal bulwark detail" means. Are you talking about the interior under-gunwale ceiling boards, as Whaler referred to them? If so, you can see the bow rail stantions in this photo. Installing ceiling boards in a "smoothside 21" could be a seriously difficult job, but I suppose it could be done.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...2462938201

They are made from mahogany, 3/8" x 2-3/4" section.

Reel Easy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 12:49 PM

Comments: 1

Thanks Finnegan. That is exactly what I was looking for. Why do you think a smoothy installation would be difficult? Have anything to do with verticals installed in the ribs?

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 2:58 PM

Comments: 16

The horizontal boards are attached to 3/4" x 2" vertical blocking, screwed into wood which is embedded in the top shell skin, at the inner most place on each rib. Spacing is 36" if I remember correctly. Only the very aft vertical is not attached to the hull, and "floats", serving only to hold the boards together at the back. This is way back under the stern deck, at the very back of the hull on the inside. It is where the fuel tanks go.

As you can imagine, the Rib design was perfect for installing these interior finishing boards, with the regularly protruding attachment points.. But the smoothside would be different inside, and with no wood blocking molded into the sides. So you would have to glue on some blocking (with 5200), which would be quite thick at the bottom and thinner at the top, As you can see in the photo, the face of the boards are flush with the turned up edge of the boat floor.

There are four boards, 1/2" separation (which is where the block screws go for accessability) in the stern half, and as you go forward, with the floor and deck rise, there are five boards at two support points.

In the earlier boats, the boards were all one length, some as long as 16', which is what i have in hull #132. But in the later models, after saddle tanks were introduced for extra range, they made them in two halves. This allowed them to delete the back half of the set for the saddle tanks, and still keep the front section. I would recommend you make them that way - much easier to handle and service if needed.

These are one of the most unique and beautiful finishing treatments Whaler ever put in one of their boats. But it must have been costly for them, which is probably why they were only done for two years, in the 715 Ribsides built. I understand the Ribside line was too costly to manufacture, which is why it only lasted two years. A lot of expensive workmanship and materials were put into them. And when you think these boats new were only $4500. Incredible!

Edited by Finnegan on 05/04/16 - 3:00 PM

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 3:16 PM

Comments: 2

Finnegan wrote:....A lot of expensive workmanship and materials were put into them. And when you think these boats new were only $4500. Incredible!

Wow, that's some pretty good appreciation for a boat:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/...90057.html

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 8:40 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,991,282 unique visits