View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whales, Sharks, & Whalers
JRP
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/16 - 5:45 PM

Comments: 2

This may be old news to most of you, but I recently watched a Nat'l Geographic special about some Orcas in the vicinity of the Farallon Islands that have preyed upon Great White sharks. It's a fascinating investigation of this unusual and impressive behaviour.

But for Whaler enthusiasts there is some bonus material since the boat used by resident researchers on the Farallon Islands is a Boston Whaler 19 Outrage II. As an owner of this model, it was fun to see it in action so far out in the Pacific -- I guess the Farallons must be 30 miles or so from the Golden Gate Bridge? Assuming the 19 Outrage II went to the Farallons on its own bottom, and as an east coaster who thinks of that area as seriously "big water", it gives me confidence in what my boat can handle.

YouTube link to Nat'l Geographic special, with Whaler footage sprinkled throughout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejYC3...jYC3ymTei4

ClevelandBill
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/16 - 8:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks, JRP. That was cool. Jaws came out when I was pretty young. I like to see the Great White's getting taken down by our fellow mammals, the Orcas. I guess that's kinda sick ...

But the boat ... seemed to be at home in that water.

I had always heard that the Atlantic waters were more dangerous ...

ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 4:47 PM

Comments: 2

ClevelandBill wrote:
Thanks, JRP. That was cool. Jaws came out when I was pretty young. I like to see the Great White's getting taken down by our fellow mammals, the Orcas. I guess that's kinda sick ...

But the boat ... seemed to be at home in that water.

I had always heard that the Atlantic waters were more dangerous ...

Yeah, it was nice to see the aquatic mammals coming out on top. But it was also eye-opening seeing how cunning orcas can be. They are extremely clever, and within their "culture" seem to be able to share or pass along knowledge. The way that cow took out the Great White was quite amazing.

I've never boated on the open Pacific (only in the San Juans.) But looking out from promontories like Dana Point, Big Sur, Golden Gate, etc, I've always been struck by how barren the coast is with few harbors of refuge, and all of it a lee shore. With those big swells rolling in, too. Seemed intimidating to me, anyway.

VA Whaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/16 - 4:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks for passing that along JRP. I wonder if the shark was closing in on her calf and she did what any good mother would do and took out the aggressor. Not sure if any non-mammal would go to such lenghts. Where is Marlin Perkins when you need him? :)

Great footage of the Whaler at home in the open waters as well. Thanks again

John

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 1:45 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,978,971 unique visits