View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1988 17' Super Sport seat in front of helm
rocketjudge
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/16 - 2:02 PM

Comments: 0

I recently bought a 1988 Whaler 17' Super Sport that has a bench seat completely across the front of the helm that you have to step over to access the bow. Crazy arrangement I know and I'm think about opening the space between the twin consoles by removing the middle portion of the bench seat, glassing each open side up, putting a brace on the end of the sectioned pieces and making a two seater out of what is now a 3 seater thus opening the space so one can go from the helm bench seat to the bow without having to jump over the bench seat in front the helm.
Any thoughts??

docsoma
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/16 - 11:13 PM
Personal Page

Sounds as though you have a rare Super Sport Limited. ...with the full width seat in front of the twin consoles concealing tons of storage underneath.

Your boat but you would be ruining a tremendously well designed boat that is also quite rare.

rocketjudge
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 7:31 AM

Wow! I hate to do something that changes the originality but the design makes it difficult to have to jump over the bench seat everytime to go to the bow to tie up or set an anchor. Tripping over it in haste is a concern.
BTW, I'm 69. I knew I had never seen this model in my search for 1988 Super Sports.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 02/10/16 - 12:24 PM

tedious
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 10:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

A better choice would be to resell what you have, and buy a boat that meets your needs. You could make the modifications you propose, but it would be a big, big job to do properly. Although I am not concerned about originality, I've seen a lot of hack jobs on Whalers and other boats - whatever you do, please don't do that!

Tim

rocketjudge
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 11:19 AM

Well, that's a lot easier said than done since the boat is in the British Virgin Islands and anyone I would sell it to would probably do the same thing or use it as is but not as a "rare" Whaler model. I've got a source than is a really good fiberglass guy and he's checking it out to see what is involved and the cost.
Now if some of you Whaler gurus want to buy it as a rare Whaler to restore and ship it back to you and swap a Montalk or similar model, I am willing to listen.

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 12:28 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

To clarify, which boat do you have?

1. 1984-1988 Super Sport 17'
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=50

2. 1986-1990 Super Sport Limited 17'
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=48

You can also view the different models in the members personal page section here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65

Let us know exactly which model you are talking about so everyone is well informed and can help you better.

rocketjudge
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Joe.
It is the Super Sport Limited. Looks exactly like the one in the pic you sent.

Phil T
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 1:08 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Consider modifying it so the middle section is removable. That way you have kept the boat original and have that added seat in case you need it.

You could get a custom 3 part cushion from Andersons.

rocketjudge
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 1:16 PM

Well, that would be an interesting concept. I would imagine the cost for glassing up the interior and exterior sides of the middle section would probably double or more the cost of just removing the center section and glassing up just two exterior sides rather than 4. Also, if someone sits in the middle section, they would have to move so the helmsman could work the bow lines and traverse from bow to helm as needed.

tedious
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 2:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

RJ, to clarify, I don't really care about "rare" - it's a boat, not a Picasso. It's just that looking at the pics of that model, it seems like a fair amount of work to make your changes and still have it end up being a boat you'd be proud of. You'd have to chop the thwart into two seats, put supports in, glass an end on each of the storage boxes, and relocate additional hinges on the new thwart seats. Maybe you'll get a better price in the islands on the glass work, but in New England where I am it would not be cost effective.

Tim

Edited by tedious on 02/10/16 - 2:52 PM

Phil T
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 2:56 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

For reduced cost, one could use high quality painted wood or composite instead of fiberglass.

Personally I would run the boat as it is for a year before making changes. You may be surprised at what you get use to and what things do't "work".

rocketjudge
#12 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 5:34 PM

Some really good responses. Thanks folks. I'll check out the price. That should be in the next day or two and go from there. May just try it for a while but with our wives using it and our ages, hopping over an obstacle every time we come to dock will probably get real old real quick.
BTW, the lady I bought it from (who is a seasoned yacht captain) was going to do this same renovation is she kept it. She was the one who recommended it when I first saw the boat actually.
Thanks to all for your thoughts and input. I appreciate all of y'all.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 4:22 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,973,595 unique visits