View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2012 Outrage 190
ontario_outrage
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/16 - 10:27 AM

Comments: 0

Hi everyone,

I just put a deposit on a 2012 Outrage 190. Great deal, clean only 100 hours on it. I have a few questions for the more experienced whaler owners:

Does anyone know what the tongue weight will roughly be with the single axle trailer? My truck is rated for the weight, but the tongue weight needs to be small enough.

Does anyone have experience putting a kicker bracket on one of these. Any advice?

cheers!

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/16 - 2:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Welcome aboard!

Can't tell you about the tongue weight, really, but will your truck be able to handle 10% of the overall weight? If so, you should be good to go. You can always adjust the trailer if need be.

Do you really need a kicker? Modern FI outboards are pretty good on gas at trolling speeds, so maybe a subscription to a tow service would be a more economical option?

ontario_outrage
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/16 - 4:06 PM

tedious wrote:
Do you really need a kicker? Modern FI outboards are pretty good on gas at trolling speeds, so maybe a subscription to a tow service would be a more economical option?

Thanks for the advice!

I have the kicker and bracket that I kept off my old boat, its more a matter of installing it without messing anything up. Anything to keep in mind when drilling through the foam as opposed to a wood/glass transom? Of course the old boat had a Mercruiser 7.4, cost about $20 an hour to troll! Maybe I'll give it a try with the outboard first.

tedious
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/16 - 6:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Yes, I'd definitely try trolling with your main motor first - assuming your 7.4 was carbed, you're going to find a massive difference. You'd hate to mess up the transom of that nice, new 190 if you don't need to - and it's likely to drop your resale value too, if that matters.

From Whaler's website, you'll be using at most 1/2 gallon per hour at trolling speeds - almost not worth thinking about.

Tim

Whalerbob
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/16 - 5:25 AM
Personal Page

You may need to adjust the axle forward or back to get the right balance but if your truck is rated for the tow weight you'll be fine.
I'm not familiar with the transom configuration of the 190 but I love having a kicker on mine so to each his own.

ontario_outrage
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/16 - 3:32 PM

Thanks @whalerbob. I'm still undecided on this, now thinking that a smaller kicker off the swim platform might be ideal. Certainly seems like there a fewer potential issues than drilling through the transom.

Whalerbob
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 7:13 AM
Personal Page

The swim platform sounds like a bad idea. You won't need a big motor to push that boat but those foldable brackets are sort of wobbly. Not sure long or short shaft but long shaft would allow you to mount it higher to minimize dunking it in bigger waves. 4 stroke is best so you can connect directly to your main fuel supply. A fixed bracket or possibly a small jack plate would be my first choice but again that's just me.

Whalerbob
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/16 - 7:13 AM
Personal Page

The swim platform sounds like a bad idea. You won't need a big motor to push that boat but those foldable brackets are sort of wobbly. Not sure long or short shaft but long shaft would allow you to mount it higher to minimize dunking it in bigger waves. 4 stroke is best so you can connect directly to your main fuel supply. A fixed bracket or possibly a small jack plate would be my first choice but again that's just me.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 6:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.40 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,695,903 unique visits