View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2011 Montauk 190 console panel
JackMuffin
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/16 - 3:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hello from Italy.
I am in the process to repowering my Montauk 190 (2011) with a new Mercury 150 Fourstroke as the current engine (Mercury 115 EFI 2011) demonstrated to be unreliable.
I need to change the black console panel for the instruments with a new one with/without holes.
Italian dealers are asking crazy prices for a simple panel, so I have to find a cheaper solution.
My questions now:

1. Does somebody know the correct original P/N of this panel and its current cost in USA? Is it provided with holes or with a template?
2. Does somebody know of a second source for this panel?

I'm going to put a new post on "parts" forum about another item.

PS Current panel photo available

Edited by Phil T on 01/27/16 - 1:30 PM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/16 - 6:03 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Jack -

Email Sue Lodell at Twin Cities Marine. She is the Whaler parts master.

http://www.twincitiesmarine.commarine.com

Tell her your request and she will tell you what is available and the costs.

I recall several members who have replaced their panels so it is possible.

Review page 4 of the Console Sub Assembly in the link below. Note that there are 3 different gauge panels, each with a part #. The part #'s are on page 7.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_grap...4526AM.pdf

Edited by Phil T on 01/26/16 - 6:13 PM

JackMuffin
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/27/16 - 4:44 AM
Personal Page

Phil, really kind of you.
Another question: can you please post the link of the assembly of the rear part of the boat? I am looking for the details of the black rubber support (may be this is not the correct English word) on the rear edge of the boat where the engine is placed.
Thank you.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/27/16 - 12:13 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

You can visit the Parts Diagrams page on Boston Whaler's website.

It is located under OWNER, RESOURCES. Enter year and model. Each of the drawings will open as a PDF.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/page.aspx.../page.aspx

JackMuffin
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/28/16 - 4:15 AM
Personal Page

Thanks again. Done. I'm in touch with Sue.

JackMuffin
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/16 - 3:54 AM
Personal Page

Thank you for previous answers. I got a new panel from Sue, but...please read ahead:

Just delivered my new Mercury 150 Four Stroke.
I hope it will be a better engine than the previous 115 EFI.
The engine is supplied by Mercury with four circular instruments: as per my mechanics they are 2x 86 mms diameter e 2x 52mms diameter.
I have bought a new panel where to drill the holes, but it happens that the four instruments do not fit as there are 4+1 switches already mounted on the new panel.
Since I do not think to be the first to face this problem I would be pleased to hear if and how other people have addressed this problem.
I cannot install the instruments directly on the console since I already have installed a quite large Raymarine instrument and a VHF.
Thank you.

PS
52mms = 2.0472" or 2, 3/64 inch
86 mms = 3.3858" or 3, 25/64 inch

Edited by JackMuffin on 05/03/16 - 3:54 AM

JRP
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/16 - 6:52 AM

Comments: 2

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on the new Mercury 150. This engine has a very solid reputation - hopefully it will provide better service than your previous engine.

As for the instruments, do you have these "Flagship" gauges?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/g.../flagship/

If so, given how crowded your instrument panel is, would it maybe make sense to upgrade to a multi-function display gauge, sauch as the Digital SC100 or SC1000?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/g...00-sc1000/

These would combine into one gauge several of the functions found in the separate "Flagship" versions. This would save you quite a bit of space on your instrument panel.

JackMuffin
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/16 - 9:24 AM
Personal Page

Hi JRP. Thank you very much for your words and suggestion.
I still have to closely look at the gauges that now are at the mechanic's together with the engine, but definitely they should look like Flagship but one that should have two buttons at the bottom (see later).
This will happen tomorrow . In the meantime I was thinking how to solve the problem. Your suggestion is one, another would be to buy a MercMonitor, but this is quite costly and I'm not sure it is a good thing. Both gauges, as far as I have understood, are hardly readable under the sun.
A third solution could be to make a new hole somewhere on the console and buy a little panel. The only available available space could be on the left side of the wheel.
Still I have to take some measurement.
Until I put my hands on the gauges I cannot figure out exactly what they did send me. One of gauges, as far as I have understood from the mechanic, looks like an SC1000 (not the 1000), but I'm not sure of this.
I'll post my findings hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by JackMuffin on 05/03/16 - 9:28 AM

JackMuffin
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 12:53 PM
Personal Page

Just an update. My mechanic has been able to fit all the 4 gauges onto the panel, but the result is poor since the gauges seem to be inserted without order, moreover one of the larger gauges goes out of the white border.
Two of the switches have been displaced toward the bottom, so they must be locked by some glue.
I will eventually post a picture of the panel, as I left my mechanic while he was drilling the smaller holes.
Since Mercury and Boston are in the same group, and the 150Hp is the perfect companion to Montauk, it seems that the two companies do not speak one to the other...

Phil T
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/16 - 1:01 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Here are photos of the dash panel. It only shows 2 gauges. Click on Interior and look at photos 33 and 34.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Page.aspx...tauk.aspx#

The modern Boston Whaler Montauk (2002+) models have received many complaints for a poor dash/gauge/switch layout. It is mostly a console design issue, not a Mercury issue.

Edited by Phil T on 05/04/16 - 1:03 PM

JackMuffin
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/16 - 1:16 PM
Personal Page

This is how the panel looks now. In order to fit everything the mechanic has had to use the "old" gasoline gauge which is analogic rather than digital.
To use the new one I'd need a new sensor on the tank or a conversion unit, but I have decided to stay with the old one.
I understand that the panel looks very crowded, but this has been the only way to use all the instruments.
In the future I plan to throw away this panel and buy a new one with one gauge or two only and buy a vessel View 4. This will happen as soon as the new VesselView 502 will be on the shelf and hopefully Vessel View 4 price will drop.

http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_13image.jpg (Can't do any better)

Edited by JackMuffin on 05/05/16 - 4:40 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 3:31 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,708,029 unique visits