View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1993 Outrage 19' Info
lat 12
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/16 - 4:25 PM

Comments: 0

Help. I am interested in purchasing a 1993 boston whaler outrage 19 ft (ll). In general what if any are the down side? And secondly it appears that this model is 600 lbs heavier than my 1987 outrage. Why? And does it make it more stable? or sluggish?

I would sincerely appreciate any insights.

Thanks

Richard

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/16 - 4:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

lat 12 wrote:
Help. I am interested in purchasing a 1993 boston whaler outrage 19 ft (ll). In general what if any are the down side? And secondly it appears that this model is 600 lbs heavier than my 1987 outrage. Why? And does it make it more stable? or sluggish?

What length might your 1987 Outrage be?
17', 18', 19', 20', 22', 27', etc.?

http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...owstart=40

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/16 - 7:08 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The Outrage 19 II had the same exterior hull design with significant changes to the deck construction, console, and seating.

The floor was changed to a 3rd skin and did not include a cover for the fuel tank. The revised console was taller, adding a large electronics box.

The above changes added significant weight compared to the classic Outrage 18.

tom blinstrub
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/16 - 2:41 AM
Personal Page

The 19' Outrage II is listed as 650 lbs heavier than my 1989 Outrage 18 which has the same hull. That means its like having 3 extra 200 lb adults with me before I bring anyone with me. Also my 8hp kicker motor sits nice right next to the main engine on the transom. The 19' Outrage 11 dosen't have room on the transom for a kicker. You will need a bracket. I also believe you can't get access to the fuel tank.

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/16 - 10:27 AM

Comments: 2

I own a 1992 19 Outrage II. These are just some comments for whatever they are worth to you:

WEIGHT: Yes, the spec weight on the 19 Outrage II (1992-1995) is 650 lbs greater than the spec weight of the Outrage 18 (circa 1983-1991) model that it is derived from. However, I've read a lot of comments suggesting that the Outrage 18 spec weight may be under estimated. And given the performance reports I've seen, the two models seem to deliver similar results with comparable HP engines. That also suggests to me the hull weights are not as far off as the spec indicates.

HULL: Same as Outrage 18, except the transom is notched for a single outboard rather than twins. This made sense, since by the time they re-designed this boat in the early '90s, outboard engines had grown significantly in HP and it is more cost effective to mount a single 150 HP outboard engine than it is to mount twin 75 HP engines (there are definitely advantages to twins, but cost effectiveness is not one of them.) So for this HP requirement, most folks would be choosing a single outboard anyway.

And, with today's ultra-efficient outboards (ETECs, Mercs, Yamahas, etc), the need for a small "kicker" is not as critical because these modern engines are highly efficient even at slow idle/trolling speeds (yes, there are times when a kicker is still necessary or even required, but those circumstances are somewhat uncommon...)

INTERIOR: The interior layour of the 19 Outrage II affords quite a bit more storage and seating than the earlier Outrage 18. The stern quarter seats are convenient, with storage lockers underneath. Also, the wide flat platform in the bows with the double lockers provides a nice area for lounging/sleeping under optional canvas enclosures (with a casting platform between the lockers and console, this area can be extended to bed-length.)

The hinged/folding center console is a very handy feature, providing excellent access to batteries, wiring, etc, as well as allowing the boat to be tucked into garages or sheds with low clearance (my winter storage location required me to fold the console down to back the trailer in, in order to clear a low beam at the entrance.)

FUEL TANK: The 19 Outrage II has a larger fuel tank than the earlier Outrage 18. The spec says mine is 76 gallons, but later model years were even larger.

It is true that there is no removable hatch in the deck for accessing the tank, as there was on the Outrage 18. However, it is NOT TRUE that the tank is inaccessible or encapsulated -- this seems to be a common misperception that gets repeated on internet forums.

To begin with, the aft end of the tank, including fill and draw hose fittings, can be accessed through a pair of removable hatches in the splash well. More importantly, the forweard 25% or so of the tank is fully accessible under the center console for inspection and easy access to the vent line.

In the even the tank were to develop a leak, two approaches to replacement could be taken: 1) Boston Whaler has publsihed detailed instruction for in-field tank repalcement, that involves cutting the deck hatch opening (a la Outrage 18) by following an outline that is already molded into the deck, removing the old metal tank, and repalcing with a new tank; or 2) The tank can alternatively be replaced without cutting the deck by sleeving the old tank with a milspec soft fuel bladder. After cutting the top and forward panel of the existing tank (easily accessed under the console storage area) the flexible bladder can be inserted into the old tank and slid into place, leaving the deck intact.

With all that said, and at the risk of jinxing myself, our 24 year old tank appears to be in excellent condition. The design of the cavity for the 19 Outrage II's fuel tank is especially beneficial to tank longevity, as compared to the earlier models. The tank cannot sit in water as there is no place for water to accumulate in the tank cavity -- there is a deep fiberglass channel molded under the tank that takes any water to the low-point in the forward bilge. So the tank will likely only fail from the inside out, not due to sitting in damp foam as often is the case.

I've touched on a few points here and would be happy to respond to specific questions to the extent I am able. Good luck, I think you will really like this boat. I know we do!

Edited by JRP on 01/26/16 - 10:32 AM

lat 12
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/16 - 5:43 PM

Goodmorning gentlemen,
1) Joe: My Boston Whaler outrage is 18ft w/150 Yamaha vintage 1987
2) Phil T,& Tom & JRP:This is the first question I have ever asked on any computer forum. Historically I have always found that somewhere on the computer someone else has asked the same question. I did struggle with the procedure to "post" a question (got lucky). So therefore I am grateful to you gentlemen for having annul my anxieties and enrich my BW knowledge! Respectfully, Richard

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/16 - 6:09 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Great Richard.

Now we all know you have an 18' Outrage.
What is wrong with the boat you have now?

Moving to basically the same boat but heavier doesn't seem like going forward unless something is drastically wrong with yours.
What about a larger Outrage?

Good luck with whatever you choose.

lat 12
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/27/16 - 2:53 AM

Goodmorning Joe,
The 18 outrage is here(Caribbean) at my home. The 19 outrage I am looking at
will be used in Whitefish,Monatana (Flathead lake is the largest "natural" fresh water lake west of the Mississippi) and also utilized for spring salmon runs over in Vancouver island. I have thought of the outrage 22 but nothing has presented itself with my idea of the right power, also the "potter" 23 seacraft would be more desirable to me in this footage. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
Richard

JRP
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/27/16 - 5:24 AM

lat 12 wrote:
Goodmorning Joe,
The 18 outrage is here(Caribbean) at my home. The 19 outrage I am looking at
will be used in Whitefish,Monatana (Flathead lake is the largest "natural" fresh water lake west of the Mississippi) and also utilized for spring salmon runs over in Vancouver island. I have thought of the outrage 22 but nothing has presented itself with my idea of the right power, also the "potter" 23 seacraft would be more desirable to me in this footage. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
Richard

Richard,

If you end up purchasing the 19 Outrage II, hopefully you will offer us your first hand impressions of how it compares to your Outrage 18. It's rare to get that sort of feedback from someone who owns both models simultaneously, so it would be especially valuable and welcome.

Some say the extra weight of the 19 Outrage II makes for a better/softer ride, but I have no basis of comparison to comment on that. I do have a friend who is in the hunt for a Whaler, and was originally looking at Outrage 18s. After riding in my boat several times, he has changed his mind and wants a 19 Outrage II. He feels the Outrage 18 is a bit barebones by comparison, and lacks many of the convenient seating and storage features of the 19 Outrage II. I suppose that is more a matter of personal preference than anything else, though.

Good luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know your impressions please.

lat 12
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/13/17 - 8:48 AM

Can I ask if anyone out there has a stern light base for a outrage 18. I fabricated the stern lite as shown here in the downloads on Whalecentral. I've seen pictures of it. It is wood and aluminum. I do realize they are not available aftermarket. Could have it fabricated but I just thought maybe I could get lucky. Otherwise back to the drawing board! Appreciate any help in this manner. Regards
Richard

Finnegan
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/13/17 - 4:37 PM

Comments: 16

This is now the boat that JRP actually owns, one of the nicest examples of this model anywhere..

Finnegan attached the following image:

[74.11Kb]

lat 12
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/17 - 5:44 AM

Goodmorning,

Mr. Finnegan,

Which canvas do you find most essential. The forward spray dodger or the bimini top?

respectfully
Richard

JRP
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/17 - 6:37 AM

lat 12 wrote:
Goodmorning,

Mr. Finnegan,

Which canvas do you find most essential. The forward spray dodger or the bimini top?

respectfully
Richard

Hi Richard,

Did you end up purchasing the 1993 19 Outrage II that you had asked about last year? If so, what are your thoughts especially as to how it compares to your Outrage 18?

The photo that Finnegan posted above is of my 1992 19 Outrage II. However, at the time the photo was taken the boat belonged to the original owner. I am the very fortunate beneficiary of his meticulous care and maintenance. Since purchasing the boat from him, I have sought to maintain the boat to the same high level of attention.

Regarding the canvas, both of the pieces you see in the photo above are very useful to have. I operate with them in the "up" position nearly 100% of the time. The bow dodger provides sheltered space for duffles and napping, while the bimini top provides protection from sun and rain. I would not be without either of them.

Also, there are additional pieces (not shown in the photo) that attach between the dodger and bimini, to provide a full enclosure. So the dodger and bimini become the foundation for additional canvas options that provide this relatively small open skiff with an element of shelter that is very desirable.

That said, my canvas package was purchased by the original owner from a local canvas shop, rather than the Mills Canvas shop (Mills is an OEM provider of canvas to Whaler.) As I understand it, because the model was so new, Mills had not come out with their canvas package for the 19 Outrage II yet when the orignal owner of my boat was shopping for his canvas.

However, Mills did subsequently offer a package for this model (and to the best of my knowledge still does.) A friend recently purchased a 1993 19 Outrage II, and his boat has the Mills canvas package (dodger and bimini). In my opinion the Mills design is superior in many respects (primarly in the dodger, which is taller and longer providing more space beneath.

lat 12
#14 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/17 - 8:44 AM

Hello,

The boat came with an 150 hp Johnson ocean runner 2 stroke with a cracked head. re-powered her with 150 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Haven't had a chance to test yet.

Thanks for your insight on the canvass situation. Afternoon naps could be the deciding factor.

I am a loyal supporter of Mills canvass. Right away I purchased a mooring cover from them and it came quickly and fit perfectly!!

If you are ever on the island look me up and we can go fishing or snorkeling/diving.

Respectfully
Richard

lat 12
#15 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/18 - 6:51 AM

Goodmorning,

1993 Boston whaler outrage II 19 ft. : The live bait well behind the leaning post was never hooked up. Does anyone have a picture or a clue as to what is suppose to be there? ie. pump hoses etc.

thanks in advance
richard

JRP
#16 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/18 - 8:37 AM

lat 12 wrote:
Goodmorning,

1993 Boston whaler outrage II 19 ft. : The live bait well behind the leaning post was never hooked up. Does anyone have a picture or a clue as to what is suppose to be there? ie. pump hoses etc.

thanks in advance
richard

Richard,

On my 1992 version, the live well is filled by the raw water pump located in the forward bilge area. This raw water pump draws water from outside the hull through a thru-hull with sea-cock that is also situated in the forward bilge (below the static waterline.) This is the same raw water pump that provides water for the optional deck wash-down.

With the raw wate rpump turned on, the live-well is filled by opening a gate valve spigot inside the live well tank.

There is a second pump that re-circulates water in the live-well, to keep it aerated. This pump is located in the compartment to the right of the live-well tank.

There is a stand-pipe in the live-well, that serves as an overflow/overfill protection. This standpipe secures into a drain in the floor of the livewell, which then drains aft to the engine splash-well. To empty the live-well after use, the stand-pipe is unscrewed from the drain and the water then gravity drains out to the engine splashweel and then out throught the scuppers.

I primarily use the livewell for dry storage.

19 Outrage II (1992)

lat 12
#17 Print Post
Posted on 01/07/18 - 5:14 PM

Hello,

Thank you!!!!!

respectfully
richard

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 4:17 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,065,268 unique visits