View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Outrage 22/25 Forward Shelter Height?
Marko888
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/15 - 5:03 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 10

Can anyone here provide a height of the aft opening (highest point, at center) of a Mills Forward Shelter for a classic Outrage 22 or classic Outrage 25?

I'm working at fully understanding the practical differences between the Outrage Cuddy and the open boat with Forward Shelter and am curious as to how much height is available under the canvas... IE if there is room to sit under the canvas in a low deck chair, facing aft. This is certainly not possible in the Cuddy.

thanks

mtown
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/15 - 6:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I have a 1989 22' cuddy and the reason you could not sit as you describe is that the cabin stops where the deck drops lower. You can sit on the forward V benches without ducking, but the "floor " in the cabin is too narrow for a chair.
I looked at Mills site and there are several pics of 22' with forward shelter. I appears to be at least 1' higher than my cuddy, maybe even more. Looks to be at least as high as the console top surface.

I just looked at 22' outrage photos, pretty sure it is Joe's boat on a trailer. The cuddy is as high as the console top and probably almost the same as the shelter. The shelter comes further to the stern and would possibly allow your desired seating possibility.
My boat is 50 miles away or I would measure it.

In my inspection of the cuddy installation, it is simply a molded fiberglass piece that is screwed to a 22' Outrage open. I am personally very happy I chose what I have. The seller had one of each and was selling one and keeping one. I got my choice and have not regretted it.

Edited by mtown on 12/01/15 - 1:41 PM

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/15 - 6:46 PM

Comments: 16

Marko - I can help you out, at least with respect to an Outrage 25. I believe the measurement you are looking for is around 51"-52" above the boat floor.

If you look at the 2nd photo in this link, you can see the height of the Forward Shelter is about the same as the top of the console rail, and in this boat when the photo was taken, the console was raised 4". ( I now have the same console raised 6") From that same link, if you go to Cetacea page 11, the fifth photo down also shows the shelter height.

The space under the forward shelter is HUGE,, both in height and length, in comparison to what you get in either the Cuddy or Revenge WT model, with lots of headroom. With the center floor hatch cover removed, I can fully stand up under the shelter, and I am 6'-2".

When I bought this boat new in 1989, I fully investigated the three 25' models, and the Outrage won hands down for maximum flexibility, open fishing space when needed, and cruising/sleeping aboard (for two) comfort and space. I have never looked back. The cost for all three modesl was the same with the full Mills Flying Top system included. To this day, the Outrage model is still the most in demand and commands the highest prices.

There are also many photos of extended cruising with this boat in the ContinuousWave Sail-Logs section. The key to sucess and a great trip is to keep the Mills system well waterproofed.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/29/16 - 6:28 PM

DoubleU
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/15 - 3:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

The second picture on my personal Page is a direct side view of mills canvas on our 22' Outrage. (with super console) I will try to remember to grab a measurement tonight. But as said before, there is tons of room under there, IIRC you can sit on the cooler seat with out ducking.

It is actually taller than the console rail, so figure that is chest high (I am 5'11)

http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=36230

Edited by DoubleU on 12/02/15 - 3:43 AM
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Marko888
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/15 - 10:00 AM
Project Albums

Thanks Larry & JJ,

This is exactly what I wanted to learn. The open boat with canvas is my first choice.

Larry, how does the canvas hold up to a serious rainstorm (think BC coast). What do you use as waterproofing? How long will that last? We're planning some boat-camping trips with the next rig, and being these will be on our coast, some rainy nights are inevitable.

thank you

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/04/15 - 9:53 AM

Comments: 16

Marko - Water/rain protection from a good condition Mills Flying top set, with side curtains and aft flying top curtain (to transom) is excellent. I have been doing "Mills camper cruising" in my 18 Outrage, 21 ribside and 25 Outrage for 25 years now. This completely encloses the boat as you can see in some of the photos, and provides excellent privacy. I also have a light weight drop curtain to enclose the front "cabin" down to the floor, for additional privacy and temperature control, which velcros to the underside of the Forward Shelter material at the aft frame. I use Starbrite, or equivalent, waterproofing, in a spray bottle, as needed (once a year if doing a lot of cruising). This makes the boat almost completely waterproof, with lots of enclosed interior space.

As for your situation, two of us have cruised your area on the Inland Passage from Seattle up to Port Hardy in my Outrage 18 (yes- the 18 because it is lightweight to trail), equipped the same way, three times, staying aboard the boat for up to 2 weeks, always overnighting at marinas where there are facilities (ecept for Princess Louisa Inlet docks). Heavy rain is not a problem. The last trip I did was in the company of JimH and his wife in their Revenge. I don't anchor out. You are in the most beautiful scenery and absolutely best boating in the world in my opinion, and well worth the 2000 mile trailer trip each way from Chicago! Because of the cool weather and cool water, the Flying Top System was set the entire trip for complete comfort from the cool wind. Side curtains go in for rain or cross winds, and the stern curtain for overnighting. The bow areas of both the 22 and the 25 have plenty of room for a double air mattress (2-1/2" "Thermarest", made up with fitted sheets and comforter) and lots of cloths/equipment storage in the under deck compartments or an extra Igloo cooler carried for dry storage. The raised consoles in the boats allow room underneath for pull out "food/dish" plastic bins.

I would not hesitate to recommend an Outrage equipped with the Mills canvas for any small boat cruising application.

Marko888
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/04/15 - 4:55 PM
Project Albums

Many thanks for the thorough reply Larry! Exactly what I wanted to confirm.

Yes, I'm spoiled with our boating opportunities. I grew up on Vancouver Island...cut my Whaler teeth in Campbell River in 15 & 17 bare hulls with tiller 50hp. Our 18 is great in so many ways, but I'm going to get a bigger boat for more remote trips and open water and will set it up for some overnights. Cheers.

cdnwhaler
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/15 - 8:02 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Mark,
Finnegan and I "Mills camper cruise" the same Great Lake water here in Ontario. Me, only 10 years with a 22 Outrage and 2 boys. There are pictures in my personal page of canvas additions I made. Works great and rarely leaks at all.
Peter

I'm sure he'll recognize the location of every picture there.

Edited by cdnwhaler on 12/07/15 - 8:05 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 5:22 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,695,099 unique visits