View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Shift and throttle system problem
randolphp
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/15 - 12:11 PM

Comments: 0

2007 150 Sport, 60 h.p. Mercury Bigfoot

This engine is 8 years old but has only 20 hours on it. It runs well but I have very little experience with the boat. It's still on the trailer and I haven't put it in the water yet for a number of reasons not relevant here.

I attach a hose to the engine and run it occasionally. The engine runs well. The idle throttle works well.

The problem seems to be when I shift into forward and into reverse. If I shift into forward cautiously and slowly, I hear a gear-stripping noise before the transmission moves into forward gear, but it always successfully shifts into gear. If I shift into forward gear faster the transmission makes a thud sound that makes it evident that it is indeed in gear but the thud noise seems louder than it should be for a good -quality engine. Also, I have to move the throttle handle fairly far forward before there is acceleration, although there is always good acceleration. I just wouldn't have expected to have to move the throttle handle so far forward to begin acceleration after shifting into forward gear.

In reverse, there is a slighter gear-stripping noise but no acceleration even when I pull the throttle all the way back. I think I should get more than idle-speed acceleration in reverse.

So those are the problems with the shift and throttle. Anybody else ever have these problems and if so, how were the problems solved?

Randy

Edited by randolphp on 10/03/15 - 12:13 PM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/15 - 12:27 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Shifting gears on an outboard does take a bit of technique. Some shifters/cables allow smooth, silk shifting. Most motors take a quick firm shift from N to F or R.

The key thing is go faster when you hear the grinding.

When you are in the water, the sounds will be lessened a bit.

randolphp
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/15 - 1:08 PM

Thanks, Phil. The engine has to get used more, too, which I hope to do next year. I have a mooring for it now I just have to get it up to where it belongs.

Any thoughts as to why I only have idle speed in reverse? Not that i would want to go very fast in reverse.

Also, there's the distance in throttle position between the place when the transmission is in gear and the position when acceleration begins. Have cables slipped inside the throttle/shift housing?

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/15 - 2:22 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Use caution running the motor on muffs, don't exceed 1k rpm's.

The two shift cables control gear and throttle separately. They have adjustment inside the motor.

Lift the cover and view the cable connection to see the movement in the linkage while moving the shift/throttle handle.

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/15 - 3:01 PM

Comments: 16

It sounds like your probelm is definitely throttle and shift cable adjustments at the engine. You have to determine whether you have Mercury's Generation I or Generation II control/cable design. You may be able to find the instructions on line somewhere. Not too long ago i gave someone here instructions on the Gen I adjustments (which you can search out), but I am not familiar with the Gen II system.

randolphp
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 3:26 AM

Thanks for the message. I'll call the dealer of the original sale and get the info. I'll also familiarize myself with the linkage at the engine.

dauntless-n-miami
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 8:12 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello randolphp, perhaps some adjustment may be required of the throttle/shift cables.

With regards to shift noises, the "flush" ear muffs can a times with escaping water flow turn the prop slowly in a clock-wise turn. When you shifted the drive to reverse the prop may have been rotating slowing in the opposite direction which would initiate a "gear grinding" sound.

The "thud" sound you experienced when placing the drive in forward is typical when the outboard is not submerged in water. With the prop submerged, water will act as a dampener absorbing sound and reducing prop turn when motor is in neutral or idle. As mentioned, prevent over-revving the outboard when flushing on the trailer...very bad for the water pump (impeller).

If your considering future motor flushing's with drive shifts then perhaps an outboard flush bag may be an interesting option. There quite handy after a water pump repair.

Hope all gets worked out for you...
Best,
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

MG56
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 8:38 AM
Personal Page

Randy, have you ever checked the gear oil?

EJO
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 9:59 AM
Personal Page

Randy I have the same vintage (50th anniversary edition) new boat and motor as you. I too think it is strange to have such a long (10 to 15 degrees) delay in forward for the acceleration to kick in but don't have that problem in reverse. I got used to it and now it is just expected. Having run many inboards and only a few OB's I know each is different and the IB's are much more sensitive than the OB's.
I don't know if it is a Bigfoot thing but yes they seem to make a good thud when shifting as compared to some other. As mentioned before that will lessen in the water and I hope you are using the hose hooked up to the center back of the motor and not muffs when running the engine out of the water as you get better water intake.

Your Sport must be brand new with only 20hrs in 8 year and therefore must have sat still for long periods of time. Check the oils and especially the gearcase oil. You must have gotten complete boat and engine manuals?

Welcome and have lots of fun with your new ride, you have more constraints than I have, not having driven the boat yet, I had to check mine just before the water froze over.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Finnegan
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 10:46 AM

Comments: 16

To void the gear stripping sound, shift firmly and quickly into forward. If you do it slowly, you will get the gear grinding sound with any Merc. If you are using an SS prop on the Bigfoot gear case, you MUST use a Mercury FloTorq *III* hub kit to avoid the shifting "thud" and clutch rattle at low RPM.

randolphp
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/15 - 2:17 PM

Thanks for the info on the hub kit. How do I know whether or not I have one of these on my motor (2007 Mercury Bigfoot 60 hp) and is installation of the hub kit something a DIY'er can do? I have a lot of experience using tools.

Edited by randolphp on 10/15/15 - 2:19 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 4:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,701,794 unique visits