View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1998 Dauntless wiring
Daunt-less
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/15 - 11:49 AM

Comments: 0

I am the new owner of a 1998 15' Dauntless and am having a problem with a wiring harness that has come undone from the NAV lights and ACC terminals inside the console. I have 4 wires that have to be reinstalled and have no idea where they attach. The wire harness consists of 4 wires, red, black, grey, grey with black stripe. Does anybody have a picture of inside the center console that they could put on this site, or know of a site that has what I'm looking for. When I got the boat the center console had life jackets and a whole bunch of other stuff tucked inside and I believe that wires became disconnected when taking stuff out..
Thanks in advance
Walter

Clyde in TS
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/15 - 2:47 PM

Comments: 1

I believe that red is hot (battery) Black is ground, gray is for the stern light and gray and black is for the bow light.

I am currently rewiring a 1980 Montauk 17 and ran a continuity test on the wires to determinewhat went where.

cg

Daunt-less
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/15 - 9:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I was able to download a color code wiring chart for Boston Whaler boats and the engines that were available. I know what they attach to however my problem is the two rocker switches that they are supposed to be connected too. There are NO wires going to or from these switches and I don't want to cause a possible short or cross wiring. I have not been able to find any wiring schematics to assist in my endeavor.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/15 - 3:12 PM

Comments: 16

I am assuming you have panel mounted fuses also. If so:

The red goes to one fuse, them jumps to the other fuse. This privides fused power to the switches. There should them be a red wire from the fuse to each switch. The grey wires are the bow and stern lights as mentioned, and go to the nav light switch. You will have to determine which are the correct terminals on the switch. One popsition on switch works just the stern light, and the other works both lights. The neg return from the lights probably goes to the neg terminal on the fuse block. The ACC switch would have a red jumper from the fuse, and a some other color wire attaching to the switch, running to the accessory, depending on whether it is being used or not.

dauntless-n-miami
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 8:50 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello Daunt-less, and congrats on your Dauntless 15 purchase!!!

If your comfortable around 12 volt DC then you should do well solving your wiring issue. If you don't already have one, consider a 12 volt light tester for the repair. I would suggest first determining which of the Gray, Gray w/Black strip wires is which light fixture (Bow and stern). Once determined then label them. For a quick test you can run a jumper wire from your battery positive (+) post to one lead at a time making sure that the ground or negative (-) lead (Black Wire) is properly attached at the battery (Neg. -).

The light switch panel will typically have 3 positions. Pressing rocker switch at top activates NAV Lights (Bow and Stern), rocker switch level is off for all lights, pressing rocker switch at bottom activates ANCHOR Light only. Depending on the configuration of the terminal poles of your light switch is how you will organize or route your light leads along with power (Red lead) and ground.

If installing new wire terminals consider purchasing marine grade terminals that incorporate the "shrink" tubing sleeve for better seal and wire "pull-out" security. Also review what wire gage is being used for the light circuit so as to select the appropriate terminals and attachment method to switch. Should be a "spade" style connection.

Hope all works out...
Best,
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 1:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,038,164 unique visits