View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
montauk rps vinyl pattern
drh146
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/15 - 9:25 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Does anyone have, or know where I can get a pattern for the vinyl sections of the seat for a 1989 Montauk ?

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/15 - 4:21 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The vinyl material itself is not available, many have tried and failed.

You can buy the cushion with the accurate vinyl and piping from Anderson's Upholstery. They are the only remaining vendor that makes reproduction cushions. Anderson's purchased all the remaining vinyl stock from Lois @ Halls when she retired.

http://amfg.us

Specialty Marine makes a less expensive knock off that is not the same material or quality.

Edited by Phil T on 08/24/15 - 4:26 PM

drh146
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/15 - 8:52 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Phil,
I was actually hoping for just the patterns of the sections. Then I could find my own material, or some company that had decent material and have them make me a custom one. The hope was that if the patterns are available I don't have to dissect my seat to reverse engineer it. I could prepare a new seat with a self-selected foam and material.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/15 - 11:57 AM

Comments: 16

From what I understand, the 3/4" tan pleat material is actually still available on a custom "run" basis. Evidently the problem is that you have to order a HUGE amount as a minimum to make it worthwhile, and not many want to make that investment. Anderson did, I believe, and it seems to be paying off for them as long as we all keep buying from them. Halls did not sell material to Anderson. They used up all they had and shut down.

From what I can tell, it's cheaper to have Anderson furnish a new RPS cushion for $250 then to try to have some local guy do it with the wrong material.

Marc-B
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/15 - 6:03 PM

I have gone through the process, our RPS Was in sad shape we removed the material and ripped all the seams to create a pattern, we have a Newport so we had the backrest as well to do.

We did find some very high quality marine grade vinyl in just the right quantiy for about $50, so we thought we were on our way to success for cheap, but by the time you add the price of foam, which is not cheap, a new plywood base, and the cost of a qualified marine upholsterer.

Our main motivating factor was that we are in Canada, so with the exchange rate plus duty and transport it almost doubled the purchase price from Specialty marine.

Ours turned out great, but I am not sure I would do it again

Marc

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 9:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mtshakes
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 2
· Total Members: 50,022
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,059,924 unique visits