View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rail repair
Rmpfann
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 8:55 AM

Comments: 0

Any ideas how to tighten the rails on our 13' whaler, the entire rail (complete wrap around) is loose, and due to the age of the boat, the screws can no longer be tightened up? Is there a simple solution to this fix?

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 9:57 AM

Some fellows have different techniques. I gently clean/ream the hole and vacuum for loose material. I then insert a small splinter. Too big and it throws off the direction of the screw. Dry fit to get a sizing (you will feel a nice bite). Then a two part epoxy with the splinter into the hole. Drill the recommended pilot hole for your screw and install.
Garris

Rmpfann
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 9:59 AM

Thanks

Marc-B
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 10:26 AM

Another option I have used on many occasions and not only on my Whaler when screw holes have gotten too big for a good bite is wooden golf tees, they come in many sizes and length and are tapered, once epoxied in place they receive a pilot hole very well.

Cheers

Marc

Gmondun
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 2:02 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Gchuba,

Where do you get the "splinters"? Do you make them? You recommended this method to me previously and I want to finally get my rails fastened tight.

I'm picturing a cylindrical piece of wood that tapers towards the bottom. Doesn't the screw come out of the wood where the bottom tapers and gets thin? I'm trying to visualize it so I can get the right materials.

Gordon

gchuba
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 2:28 PM

I have scrap pieces of teak around. I just whittle off a piece from the scrap. If you do not have scrap teak....any hard wood would work (oak and the like). Maybe even a hardwood dowel as a donor. I dry fit it so the wood shim/splinter does not take up all the space. You can make a longer piece and hold it and fit it into the hole . Try the screw...if it does not have a bite, back off the screw and slide in a slightly thicker portion of the splinter. If you jam in too much wood the screw does not take and off sets to one side. You lose the original pilot hole. This method gets the old hole to work without a complete plugging (where Marc-B was heading). Sometimes two small splinters on either side. Each hole is different.
Garris

Gmondun
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 7:32 PM
Personal Page

Garris,

Have you ever tried mixing chopped up fiberglass with epoxy to fill the whole? That seems to be a popular method I keep reading about.

Gordon

gchuba
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/15 - 8:02 PM

My background for this type of repair was working on old Victorians with original cabinetry. A Master Carpenter taught me this method 35 plus years ago (actually I watched and tried not to disturb him, asked questions at lunch which was appropriate). I personally tried several techniques since then. Various epoxies and fillers. I found I needed to either drill out the hole completely and then put in an oversized plug so the new pilot hole was completely surrounded by new wood or use this shimming/splinter method. I found the various fillers by themselves to not hold the thread as well as this method. Splinters too big lost the bite. Others on the site have techniques that worked for them but....this method was handed down and works well enough for me.

Garris

Gmondun
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/15 - 7:50 AM
Personal Page

Oh interesting, thank you.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 3:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,039,039 unique visits