View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What is the purpose of a dual battery switch?
gchuba
#21 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 8:08 AM

Comments: 0

Tmann45, thanks for the nomenclature/definition....always a pleasure to read your posts. I am going with Raymarine downvision, auto pilot, radar......anything I can do to help protect the big $$ stuff from surge I do. It is just a nice extra with the design. With or without that starting feature, the Blue Sea system is really a great step up from the Perko.
Garris

Gmondun
#22 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 8:14 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

So with a mid-grade fish finder, a CB radio and a bow light to power, it sounds like I don't need the Blue Sea system.

gchuba
#23 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 8:41 AM

The protection of electronics is an additional feature. The system itself monitors and isolates each battery for charging based on need. Similar to you running in the "all" position with your current set up but a bad battery would not be draining the good battery. You can also isolate your functions accordingly. You can run the functions of your boat off of one battery with a fully charged battery available to "jump start" your boat by turning the switch for a moment to "combine", then back to the original positioning. You could protect your GPS, fish finder, CB, VHF, etc... incidental of how much they cost you. Lights and other accessories are not bothered by the spike/transient that shoots through your system when starting.
Garris

Gmondun
#24 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 9:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Thanks Garris. Aside from protecting your electronics, does the system do a good job directing the power to the battery that needs charging? Do you find that you still need to recharge your batteries back on shore?

gchuba
#25 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 10:21 AM

Depends on use of boat, sitting time, bilges auto on, down rigger use, charging system of motor, etc.... Not a simple answer. However, the Blue Sea system is the most efficient "bang for the buck" out there. There may be other manufacturers of the same engineering but I never tried to research because I am pleased with the Blue Sea product. When my boat was in its slip, once a month I would take my charger down there with auto shut off. I thought the charger was broken the first time because my secondary battery shut off the charger in the first 30 minutes. In fact, one of my mentors actually designed and was making this system in his shop in Petaluma years ago and gave the technology to Blue Sea (Blue Sea refined), a Mr. Fred Fritz.

Garris

tmann45
#26 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 11:36 AM

Gmondun wrote:
Thanks Garris. Aside from protecting your electronics, does the system do a good job directing the power to the battery that needs charging? Do you find that you still need to recharge your batteries back on shore?

Sorry but not Garris again :-).
The charge is not directed to the battery that needs it per say. What ever battery is connected to the charger is the one that gets the charge until it meet certain specs (do some reading of the links on this site: https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610...4V_DC_120A.
When that battery satisfies those conditions the batteries are connected, just like putting your battery switch on 1+2 or both. Then both batteries are being charged as long as the relay keeps them combined, other conditions might come into play and change what happens. The ACR is nothing but a battery switch that connects the batteries together.

Usual two battery system goes like this, one starting battery and one house (lights, electronics, accessories, etc.) battery. If your starting battery gets discharged trying to start the engine and then it starts, the charge will go to the start battery until it gets somewhat charged before combining them. If you house battery is discharged because you left the lights on all night, then when you start the engine it won't take long for the start battery to met conditions if it was fully charged and then the batteries will be connected and the house battery will be charged by the engine and also drain the start battery, and then they will both be charged. If both batteries are down in charge, the ACR will not combine them until the start battery is somewhat charged before combining them.

Like I said earlier, unless you run your motor for hours with a good charger output and with no other drain your batteries will not be completely charged to 100%. The closer to being fully charged the slower the charging goes. A lot of batteries are never fully charged and do just fine. I'm OCD and want my batteries fully 100% charged when I leave the dock, therefore I keep both of my boats plugged into 120V chargers when not being used.

gchuba
#27 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 1:41 PM

Tmann, Dennis, and all others......you would think he would have learned to address the group, instead of an individual, by now. Especially with the quality of answers by others.
Garris

Edited by gchuba on 05/22/15 - 2:01 PM

DennisVollrath
#28 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 3:24 PM
Personal Page

No problem for me. I hope Gmondun is able to implement a system that works for him. We are all happy to help as we can.

Dennis

1985 Outrage 18 with Suzuki DF140A

tmann45
#29 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 3:30 PM

DennisVollrath wrote:
No problem for me. I hope Gmondun is able to implement a system that works for him. We are all happy to help as we can.

Dennis

Same here, hope he is getting the answers he needs.

gchuba
#30 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 3:42 PM

I am with you fellows. The beauty of the site is the contribution of all for all.
Garris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 5:59 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,057,105 unique visits