View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1987 TAN yamaha
got2fishsd
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/14 - 6:31 PM

Comments: 0

I am looking at a 1987 19' montauk with a TAN yamaha. I have never seen one and just wondering your thoughts on it.

I have been looking for a long time for the right boat and this might be it.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/14 - 7:25 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

There is no such thing as a 1987 Montauk 19'.

I suggest you keep looking for a boat Boston Whaler actually made.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...allery.php

got2fishsd
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/14 - 9:36 PM

Sorry somehow my fat fingers and small phone don't get along. It is a 17. I have just never seen a motor with this paint color. It looks exactly like the boat.

Trying to learn how to post photos.

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/14 - 9:01 AM
Personal Page

The motor was probably repainted to match the boat. Being that it is 27 years old it probably needed a repaint. Check to see if the powerhead is painted a shade of bluish grey, the original Yamaha color. When painting a Yamaha outboard, it is very hard to find the right color from yamaha, they made so many different, but almost the same colors. I just repainted my 1999 Yamaha C60, and couldn't get the exact color. Actually only the cowling needed a repaint as the decals and paint was faded from the sun, so I was forced to repaint the entire motor. I used a Toyota dark grey automotive paint which was pretty close, but better looking than the ugly bluish grey.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/22/14 - 9:55 AM
Rich

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/14 - 11:41 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Didn't think about a typo on this one.

1987 Montauk 17' it is.

Just post a link here to photos you have somewhere else on the Internet.

saumon
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/14 - 12:24 PM
Personal Page

The OP being in CA, he might talk about this one: (removed link upon request from saumon)

Looks original to me. Also one of the cleanest Montauk I've seen. Even the console seems completely untouched, without any holes from fishfinder, gps, compass, etc., and the original instruments panel...

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/23/14 - 9:10 AM
1991 Outrage 17' I - 2005 E-Tec 90hp

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/14 - 2:04 PM
Personal Page

Thats a beautiful looking rig. Looks professionally restored. At that price there isn't much to think about. If it runs as good as it looks it won't be around long. It was only posted yesterday. The paint on the engine is not original, The color for 1986 was a metalic blue grey. Also the decals are not correct for the year. No matter, it looks beautiful, but don't let looks fool you. Do a compression test on the engine. It seems to be a trend now, with restored boats, painting the outboard to match the boat.

I hope by putting the ad on this site you don't lose the sale.

Rich

Weatherly
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/14 - 4:49 AM

Comments: 4

Got2fishsd: If you are looking to buy the Montauk 17 that saumon posted, be mindful of the Pate fiberglass fuel tank that is prone to deteriorate over time, especially if ethanol fuel is stored in it. If fiberglass resin has weeped from the tank interior, into the fuel system, it can destroy that tan-colored outboard motor.

bottomline
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/14 - 7:14 PM

It didn't ruin the motor. But the gas tank is being changed along with the impeller. The motor had 204 hours on it. It was as clean under the engine cover as it was on the outside. The boat is so clean I'm having trouble thinking about making holes in the console.I feel like I'm ruining the boat by making changes to it.

bottomline
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/14 - 7:25 PM

Sorry to gotfishsd, did the sight unseen buy wire transfer. Didn't want you to drive down to a bidding war. My mechanic said the boat without the motor was worth 10,000.00. I had to go for it ,I've lost four other boats trying to find the one. You know how it is, jump on it as quick as you can, roll the dice and cross your fingers you pick a good one.

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 7:46 AM
Personal Page

Moral of this story is if you run into a great looking rig at a decent price, keep it to yourself. Another member foolishly provided the Craigslist link and that was the end. Someone else grabbed it and joined the site to let everyone know
Well at least you know there ain't no tan Yamahas from the factory.

Rich

gchuba
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 8:06 AM

Binkie,
I am with you. Jay Fitz recently posted about a 22ft Revenge with a price drop. I located the boat but did not want to interfere with his negotiations and kept the information to myself. I realize at times that this is a "first come, first serve, money talks" society. However, when a fellow is asking for help on this site, I feel answering the questions and using discretion is appropriate. I am sure no harm was intended and we all like to look at boats and help.

Garris

Weatherly
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 10:10 AM

Comments: 4

Bottomline knew what he wanted; got2fishsd was trying to figure out what he had. It is speculative that a WC's posting of the CL ad caused a preemptive sale. We live in a free market. I have been caller two of a boat that sold to the first caller. Turned out for the better. I found another one that was even better. That's the way of the used Boston Whaler market. There are many jewels still out there to buy and call your own.

bottomline
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 11:30 AM

Thanks weatherly, I was not a member of Whaler Central when I was looking for boats. I kept my eye on craigslist from Arizona, to Texas. to Nevada, every city in each state. I was willing to drive 1500 miles to get the boat myself.I just happened to look at the california craigslist and saw the Fresno add. It had been posted for two days, and I have seen so many people jump all over these boats. It sucks that you have to be so aggressive if you want it bad. My options were a bidding war with gotfishsd, or a long drive home for one of us, and the other a boat price that would have been $2,000 higher. I rolled the dice on what I saw online and bought it sight unseen .I would have never snaked a boat off this site.Hope I cleared things up.

gchuba
#15 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 11:50 AM

Bottomline,
Cool with me. My point was that when some one asks a question for a potential purchase, as we answer the question, we need not make it easier for other potential buyers. A person really wanting the Jay Fitz Revenge could go through the same search I did and find it. I happen to own a Revenge so I always like seeing what is in the market.

Garris

saumon
#16 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 3:56 PM
Personal Page

Binkie wrote:
Moral of this story is if you run into a great looking rig at a decent price, keep it to yourself. Another member foolishly provided the Craigslist link and that was the end. Someone else grabbed it and joined the site to let everyone know
Well at least you know there ain't no tan Yamahas from the factory.

Based on that comment, even if the buyer said he didn't see it there, I guess from now on, all Boston Whalers boats should only be posted on local newspapers, because Craigslist ads could be accessed from everywhere...

Maybe WhalerCentral could also consider removing the "Boats for sale" section; theses ads were definately viewed by too much people, and one could loose a boat for sale...

Edited by saumon on 11/30/14 - 3:59 PM
1991 Outrage 17' I - 2005 E-Tec 90hp

bottomline
#17 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 6:38 PM

I'd like to replie to Binkie, I'm not ten years old ,and I didn't join the site to rub anything in anybody's face. what I thought i was joining was a place where people dicussed their passion for boston whalers.I didn't want to cause any changes because of something I did or did not do. I could have shut my mouth about the boat when i read the post about the tan yamaha. Instead I choose to be upfront about it. I know got2fish was dissapointed, as I would be.Being honest about are intentions is who we are.Let's talk boston whaler.

Binkie
#18 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/14 - 8:08 PM
Personal Page

I have no problem with what you did at all. All I"m saying is if your looking for a boat and spot something that you like and fits your needs especially with a great price, you need to be defensive about it. Don't go asking opinions from other members as there are always a few that are also looking, and your dream will quite possibly disappear,.

Rich

mtown
#19 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/14 - 1:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Saumon,
I don't think you were being called out. I took your post as trying to help. As we all know once something is on Craigslist it is not terribly hard to track it down. Hope the boat is enjoyed by the new owner who seems pretty straight up to me.

bottomline
#20 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/14 - 8:51 PM

Thanks for understanding, Mike

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 16, 2024 - 5:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Whaleballs
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,006
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,356
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,936,908 unique visits