View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
ETEC 90 HO Repower
Ron Mazcko
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/14 - 4:49 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Well my 88 Johnson SPL on my 1993 Montauk 17 finally died. Time to re-power.

From the reviews performed on the new ETEC 90 High Output (HO), this engine appears to be very sound, capable and durable. The only drawbacks I see is the increase in price (about $1k more than the standard inline ETEC 90) and the increase in weight 390 lbs vs 320 lbs.

Basically this engine is a "de-tuned" ETEC 115, with more power/torque at the lower speeds. In the future, I will be using the Montauk more and more for pulling grandkids and parents on tubes and ski's. Also, most of the time I use the boat, the weight capacity allowances are usually at the upper limit. With the increase in torque at the lower speeds, I am thinking this engine would be a good fit.

Here's a review that was performed on this engine that you may be interested in:

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review...-H-O-_2014

I would very much appreciate any thoughts that you may have on this engine possibility. Thanks in advance.

Ronald Mazcko

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/14 - 7:24 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Have you considered a regular E-TEC 115? Is it comparable in price?

Given everything I would stick with the standard 90 E-TEC. I doubt your 20+ outboard was producing more than 80 hp.

A DFI 90 E-ETEC has incredible hole shot and with the right prop will be a blast to tow. Lots of owners saying "hold on tight"

The only difference in top end is ~5 mph.

Ron Mazcko
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/14 - 11:20 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Phil,

I have not considered the 115 for insurance reasons. My Montauk is rated at a max 100 hp. Although, the 90 ETEC HO is a detuned 115, the reviews say that it is really 99 hp. Apparently, the engine manufactures are allowed a +- variance of 10% on the hp rating.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the old outboard was not producing more than 80 hp?

What type and size of evinrude prop, would you recommend to best suit my typical loading and use conditions?

Thanks for your input!

Ronald Mazcko

alan heckmamleper
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/14 - 4:09 PM

Comments: 0

I had a total of 386 lbs. on the back of my Alert 17 befor I repowered and I now have 318 lbs with my new motors and it's as if I have a different boat, ALL FOR THE GOOD. In my opinion 390 is too much motor weight on a 17 ft. Hull. 320 lbs. is fine. AL

Beso21
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 5:29 AM

I have re-powered my 1966 custom with a 2014 ETEC 90 2 stroke and the engine is a perfect fit for me. I replaced a 1986 Johnson 90 VRO in May. The weight difference is not much, about 20 to 25 lbs. My use is 90 % fishing the Galveston Bay and have been very pleased. I looked at all brands and the weight was a big factor to me. I am not sure about other areas of the country, but the price variance of all brands in the Houston area was about $200.00. The 6 year warranty was a big factor also.

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 10:04 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I have read that older engines with a lot of hours loose compression over time. It is not uncommon for a "tired" motor with a factory cylinder compression rating of 115 to be at 95 or 100 after 15 years.

As for props, there has been extensive discussion on the web regarding the classic Montauk and a E-TEC 90.

One of the most discussed and tested props by whaler owners that has good performance is the 13.25x19 Stiletto ADVANTAGE 1. WOT speed is ~ 44 mph @ 5200 with a light load.

A 15" version resulted in 43 mph at 5700 rpm's.

A site search will show the other good props.

An ETEC 90 on a classic Montauk should be mounted at it's highest setting.

Edited by Phil T on 09/21/14 - 10:05 AM

Ron Mazcko
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 2:22 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Phil, thanks for the compression information. Sure makes sense to me. Also, thanks for the prop recommendation. I'll search some other posts before I'll make a decision. Thanks again.

Ronald Mazcko

Joe Emslie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 3:22 PM
Personal Page

I had to repower this summer on my V20 and went with an ETEC 175. No regrets and they had a great deal on with free rigging and 5 year warranty. I also did lots of research and glad I went with the Evinrude ETEC.

wing15601
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 7:21 PM

I purchased a new E-TEC 90 for my 1984 Montauk last year. I have only used full throttle a few times, just for fuel usage measurement and to check performance after having the engine raised to 3 holes up. Several times just to do it but only with glass smooth water. I don't know why anyone could want more power on this hull. Economy is so good it's almost hard to believe.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Ron Mazcko
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/14 - 5:10 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Phil,

With regard to your prop recommendation I've read some of the posts on Etec's and props. Most of the pitch recommendations were 17".

I read the following evinrude information on pitch:

"A low pitch allows engine RPM to build up quickly, which gives faster acceleration and more pulling power. This works well for heavy loads, but results in slower top speeds. Higher pitched propellers are similar to high gears. They create more forward travel with each revolution. A high pitch puts more load on the engine, which reduces low speed pulling power and acceleration, but usually
provides more top speed."

I was wondering if your 19" pitch recommendation was predicated upon my particular loading condition; and upon the combination of Etec's renowned hole shot acceleration and the 19" pitch (providing a boast to top end speeds). Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Ronald Mazcko

Phil T
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/14 - 5:57 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

The recommendation I am reciting was the 19" pitch was found to be ideal for the highest performance with a light load.

The 17" is good for varied loads.

Given your intended use, it will take some testing. I would start with a 17" and then move down to a 15 in that same model and size.

If you change brands, the prop size may be completely different since blade designs are unique.

The challenge is finding a shop that will loan out props for testing.

MG56
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/14 - 9:19 AM
Personal Page

Ron Mazcko wrote:
Well my 88 Johnson SPL on my 1993 Montauk 17 finally died. Time to re-power.

From the reviews performed on the new ETEC 90 High Output (HO), this engine appears to be very sound, capable and durable. The only drawbacks I see is the increase in price (about $1k more than the standard inline ETEC 90) and the increase in weight 390 lbs vs 320 lbs.

Basically this engine is a "de-tuned" ETEC 115, with more power/torque at the lower speeds. In the future, I will be using the Montauk more and more for pulling grandkids and parents on tubes and ski's. Also, most of the time I use the boat, the weight capacity allowances are usually at the upper limit. With the increase in torque at the lower speeds, I am thinking this engine would be a good fit.

Here's a review that was performed on this engine that you may be interested in:

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review...-H-O-_2014

I would very much appreciate any thoughts that you may have on this engine possibility. Thanks in advance.

Would you consider a Mercury? These new Merc 4 strokes sound great >>> http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=19460

You'd get larger displacement & less weight than the Etec HO, and for much less money. I'm dying to see one tested against an Etec.

Ron Mazcko
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/14 - 4:44 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

MG56,

I really have not considered the Mercs. My Local Marine and Maintenance Shop is pirmarily a Yahama and Evinrude dealer. They have the mechanics with the proper knowledge and training. As this site is so high on ETECs, I'm really sold on this brand. I know they are more expensive, but the reliability, maintenance and durability are big considerations that have swayed me.

Phil,

Thanks for your further insight.

Ronald Mazcko

Phil T
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/14 - 5:11 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Ron -

I say this to everyone, shop a repower very hard.

There are no set retail prices for motors, rigging and installation. Prices are all over the map from dealers in the same area.

Get a detailed quote with part # and prices for parts (broken down) and a separate price for install.

Check the manufacturer's site for special deals on extended warranty or rigging/gauges discounts.

You may get a better price in mid winter when they are slow. I would avoid the rush times (fall - to get winterized; Spring -- to get in the water.

In the end it is about price and service for you, not them.

Grady95
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/14 - 5:12 AM
Personal Page

Ron,
I have done this 3 times! A 1975, 1977 & 1985 Montauk, all repowered with nice looking, white E Tec 90 HP outboards. Every one of these boats is a pleasure to operate. They are indeed used for fishing, tubing, skiing, sightseeing, sunset wine and cheese booze cruising, you name it. The motors are efficient on gas, quiet, they don't smoke out your passengers, they rig well on all the consoles, winterization is a breeze. I can't say enough good things about the combination of hull and motor other than to say I voted with my feet and my wallet. Three times! I could not be happier, nor more willing to recommend the combination. If you happen to be near The Finger Lakes region of New York State, I invite you to come out on one of the boats as my guest and see for yourself. I suspect your decision will be made rather quickly after that!
Best of luck to you.
Grady

Edited by Grady95 on 09/23/14 - 5:14 AM

Ron Mazcko
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/14 - 9:44 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Phil and Grady95,

I'm getting three quotes now. I've decided on ETEC for sure. Right now they have the typical Warranty/Financing/Rigging promotion till Nov 30th. They can delay the registration till next Spring when the Boat is in the water.

Thanks again for all of you inputs/invites.

Ronald Mazcko

Grady95
#17 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/14 - 6:53 PM
Personal Page

Glad to hear that Ron,
You won't regret your decision. The motors are fairly priced and I was not able to "get a deal" so to speak on any of them, even though I do an awful lot of business with one of the dealers I bought from. They help maintain my whole fleet but to be fair, these are very popular motors and they just don't have to mark them down. That's just business I guess.
Wait until you have to winterize your motor for the first time. You're going to jump for joy! Three minutes, you're done, no fogging oil, no marina charge, drop dead simple. It only gets better from there.
Enjoy your boat. Great choice.
Grady

Joe Kriz
#18 Print Post
Posted on 10/13/14 - 4:14 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Ron,

Congratulations.
I see new photos in your personal page with the new E-Tec 90 HO installed on the back.

Let us know how she performs and the trim of the hull when in the water.

Ron Mazcko
#19 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/14 - 2:46 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Thanks for the congratulations and best wishes on the new engine.

Last weekend, the boat was water tested on two days. The weight of the boat was as follows, ......as best I can determine:

4 People 1 Person
motor 390 390
boat (dry) 900 900
gas 134.2 134.2
people 880 220
back seat 60 60
cooler 30 30
anchor 25 25
misc 50 50
battery 50 50

sum 2519.2 1859.2

On both days, the engine was mounted two holes up. The prop was a stainless steel Viper 13 7/8 x 17.

On the first day, the dealer solo tested the boat. As the boat does not have a speedometer, we could not document the speed. The boat immediately shot out of the water and planed within no more that 2-3 seconds. At WOT the boat was turning 5900 RRM's.

On the second day, 4 adults were in the boat, including myself. This approximates my typical loading conditions for 80% of the time I use the boat. After launching at the marina, with no one on board, I noticed that the level of the boat in the water was almost exactly the same as the old Johnson which weighed 301 pounds (89 pounds lighter). The painted water line on this new engine setup was spot on. Again, the boat immediately shot out of the water, I'd say within 3-4 seconds we were on plane. At WOT the boat was approaching 5500 RPM's. Although I did have a speedometer app for my iPhone, we could not get GPS reception, so again the speed was not exactly known. However, it seemed to me, based upon the performance of my old Johnson 88 SPL, that WOT speed was significantly higher, .....I'm guessing in the 41 - 44 MPH range. Again, this is a best "guess". The Dealer had more experience than me and he concurred. I'll have to wail till next Spring to determine the speed exactly. I further noticed that the wake at all speeds seemed to much "calmer" than the old Johnson, the dealer speculated that it was because he felt the boat was planing at the higher level in the water, due the combination of the engine and prop. Turning response of the boat seemed much more "immediate and responsive" than the old Johnson. Additionally, the noise level of the engine was almost non-existent at low RPM's. At WOT, the noise was obviously louder, but I could comfortably carry on a conversation. At all RPM's, there was no smoke from the engine.

All in all, I am very pleased with the engine performance. Next spring I'll test the speed and report back.

Ronald Mazcko

Phil T
#20 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/14 - 5:15 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Ron -

The engine needs to be rehung at least one, if not 2 more holes UP.

ETEC's like to be hung at the highest setting. DON"T let your dealer tell you otherwise. Search the threads. The proof is there.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 9:08 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.30 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,697,458 unique visits