View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1983 Montauk 17 Console floor & cleats
usedcarkelly
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/14 - 7:19 PM

Comments: 0

My center console is a bit loose and the floor inside it fits poorly. This winter I am going to remove it, please help with info regarding the 2 wood inside strips that the console mounts to, I assume they attach to the floor of the boat. Also does anyone have dimensions of the console floor. Thank you

Edited by Phil T on 08/31/14 - 8:47 AM

msd58
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/01/14 - 8:03 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 9

usedcarkelly wrote:
My center console is a bit loose and the floor inside it fits poorly. This winter I am going to remove it, please help with info regarding the 2 wood inside strips that the console mounts to, I assume they attach to the floor of the boat. Also does anyone have dimensions of the console floor. Thank you

I am in the market too this is what I found:

http://www.blackduckgallery.com/CONSO...RIM_3.html

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/08/14 - 8:24 PM

Comments: 16

The mahogany console cleats shown by Blackduck are true duplicates of the originals, but which many people have experienced holding problems. Whaler varnished them, but the problem is mahogany does not hold up well in a wet environment for such a structural application. I would have Blackduck make you a set in TEAK, and then any future problems will be eliminated.

My 1979 Montauk uses the same console and mounting cleats, and I observed the factory installation of the console to the cleats to be substandard workmanship. Because of the low location, the installer evidently had a hard time getting his power driver down low enough to drive the screws in straight. Most of mine were driven in at a downward angle, some even hitting the boat floor.

Weatherly
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/10/14 - 7:08 AM

Comments: 4

I have owned three Boston Whaler Montauk boats, a 1986, 1987, and a 1995. All three boats had identical center console structures that were secured to the deck using aluminium L-brackets located on the outside of the console, with an aluminium backing plate, located on the interior of the console (beneath the console interior shelf). Stainless phillips head screws, washers and nylock nuts were used to secure the two aluminium plates to the console side bottoms. There were teak finish pieces (on the 1986 and 1987) located on each side of the console exterior base that covered the aluminium L-brackets and secured with five stainless screws with finish washers. (The 1995 Montauk had a composite finish material that replaced the teak - No doubt a "Van Lacker improvement.")

I suggest you upgrade your console base mounting hardware using aluminium L-brackets screwed to the interior deck with stainless screws. The holding strength and rigidity of these fasteners will be superior to the mahgany and teak wood method used in your 1979 Boston Whaler Montauk.

Finnegan is correct: the console interior mahogany floor cleats rotted over time. Boston Whaler never used varnish to seal the wood. They used Bostick #435, a polyurethane finish. Teak is a good upgrade, as Finnegan recommended, but much more expensive when compared to the cost of aluminium fabricated L-brackets and stainless hardware.

Edited by Weatherly on 10/10/14 - 10:19 AM

usedcarkelly
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/15 - 7:44 AM

thanks

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/15 - 10:58 AM

Comments: 16

Those angle brackets used on the 1983 and later center consoles are made from ANODIZED aluminum angles to prevent galvanic corrosion around the countersunk screw holes. So if you are going to switch to that detail, be sure you get the anodized angles. I have never seen this product in the regular lumber and hardware stores. You will quickly regret the use of ordinary Home Depot mill finish aluminum angles, as the SS screws will seize up in them, creating problems you don't need.

SeaLevel
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/15 - 5:25 AM
Personal Page

I used 3 x 3 x 1/4" wall thickness molded fiberglass angle when I mounted my new console. Plenty tough, will never rot. paintable. I used all SS fasteners. I staggered the screws that fasten the angle to the deck opposite the old screw locations so that I didn't use the old holes. See photo # 15 in my personal page. You can order it from McMaster Carr in a six foot length. It will outlast the boat.

"It's just a forty eight year old Whaler but it's all mine"
Joseph R Palmieri

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 4:52 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,065,832 unique visits