View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Tohatsu TLDI 90 Break-in and Flushing
HBeric
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/14 - 10:34 PM

Comments: 0

So I am reading the manual for my new Tohatsu TLDI 90, and two items that are not making a lot of sense to me are the break-in and flushing processes.

Is anyone able to explained these processes in a simple way that I can understand?

And regarding flushing, the TLDI has a hose fitting built-in to run fresh water through the engine after use. Do I do this with the engine running, or not, or does it not matter? Seems like you would run the engine to help pump the fresh water all of the way through it, but the manual makes it sound like running the engine while flushing it is not necessary.

Petrus
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/14 - 12:03 AM
Personal Page

As I understand, when using the built in fitting you are not suposed to run the motor.
But I think it is better to use a flushing sleeve which is connected to the water hose and put on the water intake on the gearcase.
This way you will be sure the water will run through all channels in the engine. Also when running the engine warm the thermostate will open. That's the way I do it to be sure.

1997 Montauk 17, Suzuki DF90A

jw0287
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/14 - 9:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I don't know the procedure for floatingsupport. Motor, but if you hook a hose up To the connection then you won't have water Running thru your lower unit and imprller. Which could damage the impeller. But I could be wrong.

Call the customer support an do what they an the manual state.

Nothing like a Whaler

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/14 - 9:36 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If you are able to flush the motor using muffs (i.e. running the engine), do it.

If you are not able to use muffs, use the hose adapter.

It is that simple.

ursaminor
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/14 - 12:04 PM
Personal Page

If it's a new motor and under warranty, I'd suggest getting clarification on the break in and flushing procedures from the dealer you purchased the engine from. That way there's no chance an innocent misinterpretation of the descriptions in the owner's manual can cause damage and possible coverage issues.

1989 Montauk 17 / 2012 90 HP Evinrude E-TEC

HBeric
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/15 - 8:16 AM

Petrus wrote:
As I understand, when using the built in fitting you are not suposed to run the motor.
But I think it is better to use a flushing sleeve which is connected to the water hose and put on the water intake on the gearcase.
This way you will be sure the water will run through all channels in the engine. Also when running the engine warm the thermostate will open. That's the way I do it to be sure.

A late reply on this, but I have been using the hose adapter after running the motor each time, as it seems to not only flush the engine, but also he lower unit. Water pours from all over the place, including the "pee valve" up top, slots on the lower unit, out the prop, etc.

Also, I have been running the engine for a couple minutes in the beginning of the flush, then I turn it off and continue for flush for a couple more. In total, I flush for 5-7 minutes. Seems like I am doing it right, but I won't know for sure for 10 or 15 years ;)

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 7:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Ermanno
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,965
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,710,632 unique visits