View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Line-X ing a whaler?
cncwhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/14 - 6:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I am getting ready to prime the hull of my 15 whaler hull and was going to line-x the deck. Was looking at the Line-X dealer in Sarasota and it looks like they do a lot of boats including a fair number of Whalers. Was just wondering why it did not look like there were a lot of boats sprayed with the Line X on this site? I know its not keeping it "original" but does seem like a great way to update older boats. When I get done with my 15 sport my next project for the winter is either a 1975 21 Outrage or a 1975 19 Outrage.

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/14 - 11:50 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

i think the answer to the why you don't see a lot of whalers done in line-X on this site, is that most folks here like to keep them as close to original as possible. If they do plan to make modifications, then typically they try and do them in the spirit of the original.

I would ask, why do you feel the need to Line-X your 15? Is the deck so bad that it's beyond saving or is it beyond your skill level to repair?

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 6:14 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

While not heavily posted, there are significant down sides to Line X or other bed liner type product.

-Regretted choice due to undesired color and/or texture.
-Negative hit on value of the boat
-Incorrect application very hard/expensive to fix
-Damage to the Line X is hard to repair

I personally would consider a marine boat paint, designed for the task at hand, over a bed liner developed product.

butchdavis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 6:50 AM

After buying a white truck my wife insisted on a white spray-in bed liner. Line X refused to apply white unless I agreed to waive the warranty. Rhino and a brand X company had the same reaction. None wanted to spray white bed liner.

They all said that for a couple of years they had used white but they had to respray, multiple times, every white liner they had done under warranty. My white truck now has a black Line X liner and I'm very happy with it.

Personally I would never put bed liner of any color on either of my Whalers. If I want a work boat I'll but an aluminum skiff and erhaps use bed liner on that,

Butch

ernest brooks
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 9:21 AM
Personal Page

In redoing my 15, I thought Linex was an interesting option, and was leaning toward it, but now am considering doing it myself. My restore required tearing up the entire floor. Underlying plywood was in bad shape, and there was water in the foam. At that point I realized that keeping in the spirit of all things Whaler, I probably crossed some sort of line. Ha, I hope I'm still welcome here at Whaler Central. Anyway, I've been looking at a product called "Kiwi Grip". Does anyone out there have any opinion on this product?

jvz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 12:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

It's great for anchor lockers - doesn't belong anywhere else on a boat.

cncwhaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 1:54 PM
Personal Page

kamie wrote:
i think the answer to the why you don't see a lot of whalers done in line-X on this site, is that most folks here like to keep them as close to original as possible. If they do plan to make modifications, then typically they try and do them in the spirit of the original.

I would ask, why do you feel the need to Line-X your 15? Is the deck so bad that it's beyond saving or is it beyond your skill level to repair?

The deck on the 15 is not bad. Nor is it above my skill level. The deck on the 21 Outrage is bad! I am looking at it more for a easier turn around and not having to deal with issues/scratches in the future. I am a boat user. I like taking care of my stuff but I don't obsess over keeping it clean all the time, that is why I am thinking of having the deck sprayed. I have seen some older boats sprayed with the "stipple" in the decks and thought the Line-x was better looking. The 15 is a std sport that I am changing to a Striper style with teak. I was not going to use White. I have heard the same things about the white Line-x. I was going to go with light blue (I think the Awlgrip Boston Whaler Blue is too dark) inside and white awlgrip on the hull. I guess it all comes down to personal choice?

MG56
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 2:33 PM
Personal Page

I feel that there should be a great deal of value placed on the quality of the original non-skid. Once that is no longer possible to be restored it really doesn't matter what you do. You just have a hunk of plastic I can keep making look like a Whaler.

That said, what would your alternative be to a factory non-skid? I've seen all sorts of Whaler "restorations" and I am rarely impressed.

It's too bad people don't keep their photos online forever because I have seen some very nice Line X Whalers. Would I Line X a viable restoration? Hell no, but here is one example that does impress me>>>

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/alkar/...=3&o=7

ernest brooks
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 3:54 PM
Personal Page

So, like MG56 asks, what is a good alternative, considering I no longer Have a factory floor? I would like to go barefoot on occasion and have seen some pretty aggressive textures. Too rough.

cncwhaler
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 4:25 PM
Personal Page

Brooks, what an awesome job you have done so far on your 15! Outstanding work. I am still leaning toward the Line-X. Take a look at the dealer in Sarasota FL. They are doing some crazy stuff with some big Yellowfins down to flats skiffs with some old whalers in between. This is just one album with a lot of other boats.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...amp;type=3

Edited by Phil T on 07/30/14 - 6:11 AM

crbenny
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 4:39 PM
Personal Page

The key to any coating is preparation and application. LineX is excellent for a crazed interior. Sarasota LineX is the benchmark for marine LineX. Look at my personal page. I would definitely do it again on an interior that is beyond restoration.

Chris

cncwhaler
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/14 - 6:11 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for sharing Chris! Those are two great Whalers you have. It is so cool to have a boat that the kids like to sit in even when its on the hill!

ernest brooks
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/29/14 - 7:27 AM
Personal Page

Thanks CNC. Sometimes I think I'm sorta nuts giving all this attention to a boat. Ha but I'm enjoying it and come on its a Whaler. Since I see light at the end of the tunnel with the floor (deck) I've ramped up working on it. I'm excited again. This project has been about three years now. Initially the floor situation sort of discouraged me but eventually I came back to it and pushed through slowly. Overall the challenge is what I've liked the most. Trying to figure out everything. Just how do you put in a completely new floor? And even though I really like the idea of linex, I also like the idea of doing all aspects of the boat myself, even the textured floor. I mentioned Kiwi Grip earlier and only got one reply on it. Was hoping for a little more encouraging input. Anyway I'll be curious to see what you end up doing. Thanks again.

cncwhaler
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/29/14 - 9:43 AM
Personal Page

Ernest,

Met with the guy who is going to help me prime the boat today. I have some more sanding on the hull side. Should be done tomorrow. After the hull is painted, I am taking it to the Line-x guy to get the topside done. As soon as I get that dome I will post some photos. Yours project is certainly a labor of love!

Weatherly
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 6:06 AM

Comments: 4

There is nothing wrong with applying a non-skid product to your interior deck that enhances your traction. It is a no brainer to want to have a safe working boat; fish guts on the deck makes the non-skid oh so slippery. Mix in a little gasoline, oil, or sun screen, and the deck can become a real danger.

The best non-skid I had was on my 1973 BW16; the boat was old, but the non-skid stood up to heavy wear. My 1986 Bw17 hull has mediocre non-skid, meaning the pattern and depth of the non-skid was not as durable as the 16 hull. On my 1989, the non-skid is very thin, and scratches easily. I slid a moeller 6.5 gallon fuel tank that had a burr on the bottom, and it left a scratch in the non-skid.

Do whatever you want to YOUR boat. And, by the way, congratulations CNCWhaler on the purchase of BW21 #001274. George, the previous owner, had that boat for sale for more than a year. I looked at it, but passed when I found my 1989 BW17 project. Good to see that trailer made it to NC. You must be a very dedicated BW owner, hauling that far for a good used boat. Or maybe FLEETMASTER helped in the delivery.

cncwhaler
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 6:39 AM
Personal Page

Weatherly wrote:

Do whatever you want to YOUR boat. And, by the way, congratulations CNCWhaler on the purchase of BW21 #001274. George, the previous owner, had that boat for sale for more than a year. I looked at it, but passed when I found my 1989 BW17 project. Good to see that trailer made it to NC. You must be a very dedicated BW owner, hauling that far for a good used boat. Or maybe FLEETMASTER helped in the delivery.

Weatherly,

Thanks! As you know the 21 is going to be a project for sure! Bought it sight unseen, but when you find what you want you have to jump on it I guess? It was transported from MA to NC by Salter Marine

www.salter-marine.com

I would recommend them to anyone. They are up and down I-95 all the time. Very good people to work with.

Windknotz
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 7:15 AM

I purchased a nice, relatively original 1988 Montauk 17 a few years ago, from an older couple in the Florida keys. It had been hanging loosely on davits, and had developed the usual damage associated with such types of storage. When I got it home I began the disassembly and assessment of the necessary repairs. I looked at all options I knew of to repair the badly spider cracked deck. I finally settled on the Line-X. I called Brian at Line-X of Sarasota, and he educated me about the application process of the marine specific xs-650. They can mix nearly any color desired, and the finish can be textured or smooth. The hull gained a bit of weight after the interior was sprayed, but that was expected. What was unexpected was the much more "solid" feeling the boat had when under way, especially on plane. I am extremely happy with the work they did. Line-X probably isn't for those looking to achieve a factory like finish, but is a very viable option for those looking to instantly fix the years of abuse our Whaler decks experience. I can provide pictures via email for those interested in seeing the before and after photos.

cncwhaler
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 2:48 PM
Personal Page

Don't know about the others but I would certainly like to see some pics! What color did you go with?

Windknotz
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 6:10 PM

I don't know what the exact color is called, they matched it to the color of the console. Here's the link to a few photos of the deck and console which I had them spray the bottom 4", and the top.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/Win...amp;page=1

Edited by Phil T on 07/31/14 - 9:43 AM

wing15601
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/14 - 6:56 PM

Windknotz, what kind of prep did you do before taking the boat to the Line-X people? I have an older 13ft Whaler at my house in Fort Myers and just don't have much time to devote to refurbishing it so this is interesting to me. Do you mind sharing how much they charged you and what exactly they did? If you don't want to broadcast it my email is in my profile, just cluck on my name. Oh, you should put youe email address in your profile.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 7:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Julien
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,011
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,961,086 unique visits