View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1972 16 Cohasset Restoration Q2
rtstultz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/14 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I am at the point of replacing my console, whats the best solution? The website(the I'm sure everyone has been too), www.specialtymarine.com has a console that says would fit, but its made out of solid mahogany. I want a fiberglass console like the original boat had installed. Any where to be found? The one that is on it now has seen better days to say the least.

- Also while we are one the subject I need a new throttle and a steering wheel (works fine just old ) Where would be the best place to get a throttle for a 1994 Evinrude 88HP motor? Found an awesome Bombardier throttle but it was only for 1996 and newer for Evinrude.

sraab928
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/14 - 10:14 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

The Cohasset console is pretty unique - You will have a hard time finding a direct replacement. How bad is yours? What needs to be done? The lower portion is fiberglass I believe - Just wood up top.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

MG56
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/14 - 1:00 PM
Personal Page

First of all, the time to figure out what to do for a console isn't when you are ready to put one in, just sayin...

What do you have for a console now? Do any on this page match>>>

http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=58

If not you can put anything you want in your boat. If you have an original Cohasset console, and you want to keep your boat a Cohasset, then you need to repair the console you have. Even if you found one that has been kicking around for 40 years chances are you'll be fixing that one up as well.

I like the Montauk console(s) much much better, but it wasn't an option for your year boat, (which only matters if you are a Purist, aka mental case). Then again so what? Your hull is identical to mine other than the stencil #, (theres a picture of it on my personal page). Of course I have my share of Whaler OCD so I'd at least want to keep the Montauk console the proper vintage Winged console.

It would be nice to see a picture of your boat, it is easy to set up a personal page here. Probably take less time than it took for me to post this message. I'd like to see what your rails look like, plus it would be easier for us to answer the questions you are going to have.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/14 - 1:15 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Consoles do come up for sale used once and awhile.
Like MG56 mentions, you could go with a newer style like the 1977, 1985, or 1986 style even.

OMC controls also come up for sale used or even new old stock.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=56

There are adapters to convert the newer wiring systems to older wiring harnesses and visa versa.
I have some pigtails for doing just that.
The controls however don't need much. It is the key switch that would need to have a converter pigtail which is one I have.

rtstultz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/14 - 7:56 PM
Personal Page

Thanks everybody for their feedback, any info is appreciated!!!, and yes I am not exactly at the stage of getting a new console, I want to finish all the sanding I can. I will probably then finish disconnecting all steering line fuel lines etc from console to the motor and remove the console. Before I disassemble the console from the boat completely I want to have an idea of what I am going to do about the console. I then will eventually dismount the motor from the boat (got to go get a $170 1-ton cherry picker from harbor freight). I am hoping to get it hoisted off the trailer so I can finish with painting (I'm using interlux brand paint for the inside or above the water line and I'm not sure yet what paint for the outside). After I get the boat painted I will then put it back together with either with a newly restored console or brand new all together. I have uploaded some pics to my personal page, if you need so see another part of the boat just let me know.

This was definitely a project boat when I bought it, but paying $650 to a friend that didn't use it was a pretty good deal it seemed like to me... with a working Evinrude motor.

rtstultz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/14 - 1:19 PM
Personal Page

Sorry, didn't quite have the uploading figured out. I have some pics now that will show what I'm working with.

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/14 - 3:42 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I think the Cohasset console is very functional and unique.

In looking at your personal page, I think you should repair the holes and relocate the shifter back to the right side. Take a look at the personal pages to see other member's Cohasset's.

rtstultz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 5:52 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the confidence Phil, I have been thinking hard about salvaging it. I think fabricating a new fiberglass console would be just as much work as restoration and not original. I will see what I can work out, hopefully getting a great deal done this week and over the weekend. http://www.blackduckgallery.com/WOODPARTS.html <--- this website I found off this website, has aftermarket teak parts I may can use also.

Weatherly
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 6:53 AM

Comments: 4

I see a very nice original BW16 Cohasset II restoration project in the photographs. The console does not look too bad; I suggest removing the windshield, as it is not original.

The Cohasset console is a simple design: you can easily replace the top facia board when you install a new binnacle.

I suggest you look at the teleflex website for parts replacement of your steering system.

Walter at the Black Duck Gallery offers very nice wood for the BW models. I have used his products and have been very satisfied with the craftsmanship.

I cannot say the same for specialty marine. I would not buy a mahogany console there; the mahogany console I bought two months ago was defective and of very poor craftsmanship.

mtnsherpa
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 8:43 AM

Weatherly wrote:
I see a very nice original BW16 Cohasset II restoration project in the photographs. The console does not look too bad

My sentiments exactly! Bring that console and boat back to their former glory.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 9:44 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,969,908 unique visits