View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What Did You Do For Your Whaler Today?
nowhereman
#41 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/12 - 6:05 PM

Comments: 0

Bob: Thanks for your comment. I really love and trust these hulls, and I'm very partial to the 17's. I had an Alert a few years back and did the ICW cruise three years in a row heading south each October. Twice from NY to FL and once from the Chesapeake Bay down into Florida. Perfect little boats to cruise with, and the highlight of my cruising was taking the 17 over to the Bahamas for a week last year from Jupiter. Amazing sights and an even more amazing feeling crossing the Stream

tedious
#42 Print Post
Posted on 12/21/12 - 6:11 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Continuing with the original thread, I just took the jackplate off Carom, my SuperSport 15, and reinstalled the motor and drove her up to Maine to put her to bed in the garage for the winter. I am planning do some customization of the jackplate, including some minor shaping to remove unneeded metal and having it anodized. I found a local place that does heavy Teflon anodizing, which I think will be better than the raw aluminum in salt water.

Merry Christmas to all!

Tim

Silentpardner
#43 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/12 - 10:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Well, in the spirit of the original thread, I have been pretty busy with the whaler this winter. After seeing the boat on the new trailer, I decided I really ought to restore the boat! That trailer started making the boat look bad!

I have decided to remove all the bottom paint and go to 100% gelcoat hull, I have been told that I can improve my MPG by as much as 3 mpg...I am not really expecting that drastic of a change, but every MPG increase will add range offshore, so I am excited to see what this will do. As a side benefit to stripping and re-gelcoating the hull, I am having all the nicks and scratches from hard use removed. All the screw holes from old transducers and miscellaneous equipment will be completely re-fiberglassed and gelcoated.

I have decided to remove all the teak and completely refinish it as well as remove and inspect the console, and replace any interior wood showing signs of rot. The entire console will be rewired with marine wiring and new fuse blocks using all heat shrinked terminals. My switches all still work, but I will ensure they are completely refurbished as well. I am really tired of the rat's nest of wiring that has built up over the years with the addition and subtraction of electronics and electrical devices, and it has gotten so bad I would be in trouble tracing the wiring for a component in a pinch if something quit working. It took me 3 days to find a lighting short last month!

I have installed a Garmin autopilot on the boat, as well as a CHIRP sounder with the dual range Airmar transducer. At this point, I have WAY more $$$ in this boat than I could ever get out of it, so I figure, What the Heck? Might as well go for broke and have it all like I want it. I got new cushions for the leaning post from the OEM manufacturer after a lot of research. I highly recommend this manufacturer if anyone has a need for an aftermarket leaning post, Spacemaker in Florida. My boat was originally ordered without a post or seat and this was installed by the dealer in 1986 and it has lasted all this time with only minimal wear even with exposure to the elements.

I have purchased a 1985 Johnson 9.9 for a kicker and I am having it installed also. The old Lenco troll n tabs (original) is long since obsolete, and there is no way to get the electric non-digital motors it used anymore, so I am going to modify the trimtabs by removing the motor mounts from them completely. I really like the trimtabs when trolling in moderate seas, so I intend to keep them as they still work perfectly. I am installing a new dual binnacle mount controller to use with the kicker. My original Tach went out last September and I was forced to use a more modern looking tach as a replacement, so now I guess I will go ahead and replace the rest of the gauges with modern matches. I think the handwriting is on the wall for them to go out soon also, they are all the same age as the tach. The new engine controls will also have to be modern as I have been unable to find a suitable vintage one.

I am still unsure whether or not I really want to re-gelcoat the interior of the boat...it is really not all that bad. There are plenty of the tiny spiderweb type cracks, but I like having the original whaler checkering on the no-skid surfaces and I am afraid I will have to lose that if I have it redone.

I expect to have all work completed by March...we shall see! I know I am getting cabin fever already from not fishing since my last trip in October. I certainly am looking forward to getting back on the water soon!

huckelberry145
#44 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/12 - 9:10 AM

Comments: 3

Removed motor in preperation for weighing hull and repairing transom. Also, the helm will be moved forward 1 foot to help the classic 15' hull accept the 50hp four stroke Honda that makes it porpoise so badly.

Edited by huckelberry145 on 12/30/12 - 11:07 AM

bob camire
#45 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/12 - 5:08 PM

Comments: 4

Silentpardner wrote:
Well, in the spirit of the original thread, I have been pretty busy with the whaler this winter. After seeing the boat on the new trailer, I decided I really ought to restore the boat! That trailer started making the boat look bad!

I have decided to remove all the bottom paint and go to 100% gelcoat hull, I have been told that I can improve my MPG by as much as 3 mpg...I am not really expecting that drastic of a change, but every MPG increase will add range offshore, so I am excited to see what this will do. As a side benefit to stripping and re-gelcoating the hull, I am having all the nicks and scratches from hard use removed. All the screw holes from old transducers and miscellaneous equipment will be completely re-fiberglassed and gelcoated.

I have decided to remove all the teak and completely refinish it as well as remove and inspect the console, and replace any interior wood showing signs of rot. The entire console will be rewired with marine wiring and new fuse blocks using all heat shrinked terminals. My switches all still work, but I will ensure they are completely refurbished as well. I am really tired of the rat's nest of wiring that has built up over the years with the addition and subtraction of electronics and electrical devices, and it has gotten so bad I would be in trouble tracing the wiring for a component in a pinch if something quit working. It took me 3 days to find a lighting short last month!

I have installed a Garmin autopilot on the boat, as well as a CHIRP sounder with the dual range Airmar transducer. At this point, I have WAY more $$$ in this boat than I could ever get out of it, so I figure, What the Heck? Might as well go for broke and have it all like I want it. I got new cushions for the leaning post from the OEM manufacturer after a lot of research. I highly recommend this manufacturer if anyone has a need for an aftermarket leaning post, Spacemaker in Florida. My boat was originally ordered without a post or seat and this was installed by the dealer in 1986 and it has lasted all this time with only minimal wear even with exposure to the elements.

I have purchased a 1985 Johnson 9.9 for a kicker and I am having it installed also. The old Lenco troll n tabs (original) is long since obsolete, and there is no way to get the electric non-digital motors it used anymore, so I am going to modify the trimtabs by removing the motor mounts from them completely. I really like the trimtabs when trolling in moderate seas, so I intend to keep them as they still work perfectly. I am installing a new dual binnacle mount controller to use with the kicker. My original Tach went out last September and I was forced to use a more modern looking tach as a replacement, so now I guess I will go ahead and replace the rest of the gauges with modern matches. I think the handwriting is on the wall for them to go out soon also, they are all the same age as the tach. The new engine controls will also have to be modern as I have been unable to find a suitable vintage one.

I am still unsure whether or not I really want to re-gelcoat the interior of the boat...it is really not all that bad. There are plenty of the tiny spiderweb type cracks, but I like having the original whaler checkering on the no-skid surfaces and I am afraid I will have to lose that if I have it redone.

I expect to have all work completed by March...we shall see! I know I am getting cabin fever already from not fishing since my last trip in October. I certainly am looking forward to getting back on the water soon!

First off youve got a great looking rig...and second ..its inspiring to see how much you want to do to your boat...its certainly gonna be a looker when youre done..good luk in your endeavors and we will await the pix..happy new year..

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

bob camire
#46 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/12 - 5:11 PM

Huckelberry..sounds like a great project..happy new boat year !!

bob camire
#47 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/13 - 6:33 AM

still workin on it..ve ve boat giudes are on the way, and my beat to crap 54 qt igloo cooler and seat cushion are up next..its only 20 out there todaqy, however i am daydreaming of being in the BOAT !! hava good one

huckelberry145
#48 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/13 - 5:36 PM

Nida bond poured, transom re gelcoated to match, drain tubes installed, console trimmed to fit it's forward position, and refitted with a new piece of plywood glassed in so the steering wheel could be moved over to the right side. This would go quicker in the summer, resin don't like to kick when it's 36 degrees, so there is a lot of down time.

bob camire
#49 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/13 - 4:45 PM

wont be long...hopefully shovelling the last of the snow..warming to the 40's this wknd..itll be hitting 50 sometime soon..as soon as it does..the whaler gets rolled out...boat guides get applied..fire the engine over...new cooler and seat go in..and new battery...damn, i'm ready to go...send some of that warmth up here you southerners !! tks

BillDemers
#50 Print Post
Posted on 03/09/13 - 5:30 AM

I shoveled a couple feet of snow off of the boat this , I know it's not as exciting as what some of you other guys are doing but it's all I can do

BillD
1999 Dauntless 18' - 135 Mercury Optimax

huckelberry145
#51 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/13 - 11:06 AM

Stripping the boat,... again so I can flip it and fix the porpoising hull.

bob camire
#52 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/13 - 4:44 PM

huck, whats the deal with the porpoising hull ? must be nice down there rite now ?

huckelberry145
#53 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/13 - 9:02 PM

bob camire wrote:
huck, whats the deal with the porpoising hull ? must be nice down there rite now ?

Yea it's nice, everyone else is tearing up the crappie and shellcracker, and I'm stuck on the hard. Bob, it seems if I have a defect in my hull. I don't know if it was factory or caused by sitting on a trailer the wrong way. I bought it last year knowing it porpoised but had no idea it was going to be such an undertaking.

duf
#54 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/13 - 7:43 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Coming down the home stretch here, hating life not having my Whaler in the lift, and its routinely in the 70's. Boats in Victoria waiting for the motors to arrive (twin 150 Merc 4 Strokes) which will arrive Tuesday. I also upgraded my GPS/Fishfinder to a HDS-8 so heading offshore to my favorite fishing spot (55 miles offshore) will not be an issue. But should have pulled the teak before dropping off the boat and have been re-working it during the down time.
Next project is re-creating a super leaning post with a friend of mine who is a boat builder. I'm trying to convince him there would actually be a market for replications of the original, which i think there would be. I'd be first in line!

Duf

bob camire
#55 Print Post
Posted on 03/18/13 - 4:39 PM

duf..twin 150 mercs sounds good...damn..ill take one 150 merc ! good 4 u congrats on your repower

Turpin
#56 Print Post
Posted on 03/18/13 - 6:17 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

Replaced the somewhat brittle throttle/ trim/tilt throttle cover (it almost lined prefect...almost), install new bushing in the tilt rod to hopefully get rid of the clinching noise. It appeared that 1 bushing was shattered.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

huckelberry145
#57 Print Post
Posted on 03/19/13 - 4:49 AM

Now that I finally have my 15' worthy of its Boston Whaler livery, I hope to get 12v to the trolling motor this morning. Buying wire at $3 a foot makes the battery placement decision making process that much harder. Today is my daddy's 62 birthday so I would like to get him on some crappie one day this week.

surfskating
#58 Print Post
Posted on 03/20/13 - 6:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Replaced the Lower brass drain tube on my 15 with a fiberglass one.

jamesgt727
#59 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/13 - 8:33 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Remolded all of the non-skid in the hull today with "flex-mold". Sanding and a full day of buffing to look forward to tomorrow. Trying like heck, to get this thing ready for the river run on the Homosassa April 5th for the GCBWOA.

Edited by jamesgt727 on 03/25/13 - 8:34 PM

bob camire
#60 Print Post
Posted on 03/26/13 - 4:57 AM

whats the gcbwoa ?? nice rig..

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 10:26 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.48 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,976,942 unique visits