View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What Did You Do For Your Whaler Today?
rlboeri
Posted on 04/19/16 - 12:02 PM

Comments: 0

On 1988 Montauk 17 - Had new Evinrude E-Tec 90 installed along with all new cables, new tachometer, new voltmeter, new tilt/trim indicator. Installed new fuel/water separator. New Whaler decals. Battery box moved inside of console with all new wiring. gel coat dings repaired. Installed new Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 Touch and interfaced it with Standard Horizon GX2000 so that DSC will transmit location information. Installed new Martin Marine swim platform. Working on re-varnishing RPS and constructing riser blocks out of mahogany to raise RPS about 4 inches. Then time to buff out entire interior.

bob camire
Posted on 04/20/16 - 3:02 PM

Comments: 4

man, u are good to go..enjoy the season

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

bob camire
Posted on 04/20/16 - 3:03 PM

assessing my corroded, rusted out pivot arm..may have to replace / trade up..if i repowered..what brand do u suggest ?

Tom Glynn
Posted on 04/21/16 - 3:48 AM

Comments: 1

1982 Outrage 18: New teak gunnels, refinished all out her teak,had bow rail base fittings rechromed and reinstalled, removed helmsman seats and replaced with restored eps on 4 inch risers,new rub rail, repaired gel coat dings, had lower unit seals replaced, throttle friction adjusted, new/used rear breech seat. Wash, wax and we should be good to go!

LFabs
Posted on 04/21/16 - 6:14 PM

Just finished putting the 8th coat of Pettit Flagship Varnish on all of the wood from my 1985 Montauk 17. I am looking for flush mount rod holders for the RPS, any suggestions? I purchased the boat last fall. I am planning on doing the following before putting in the water for the season...

Paint bottom blue
Adding a red stripe above the bottom paint
Either refinishing the original rod holders or replacing them with flush mounts in RPS seat
My wife baught me a bow cushion, new RPS cushion and new cooler seat cushions for Christmas from Specialty Marine- tan and brown.
Deciding what to do for a back cushion and rod holders for front of center console? Original wood and plastic with cushion from Specialty.or stainless type and new custom type cushion? Maybe use OEM from specialty and ciustomize it?
The previous owner had a small bilge in the stern that does not work anymore? Do I need one?

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have the wood looking amazing and am really looking forward to showing this boat off in the Upper Niagara River this summer!,

LFABS 1985 Montauk 170 70 HP Evinrude

Edited by LFabs on 04/22/16 - 3:59 AM

bradsc
Posted on 04/23/16 - 6:18 PM
Personal Page

Made jack stands and took the boat off the trailer. Used 3M finesse it to buff the entire hull (17 Montauk). Replaced trailer axle and springs. Waxed aluminum trailer. Will wax boat tomorrow with fleetwax. Almost ready to get some salt on her!

jackjax
Posted on 04/24/16 - 1:29 PM

Mine, I installed a Ritchie Explorer Compass Dial With Flush Mount And 12V Green Night Lighting and a CE Smith Trailer Bunk Board Guide-On, 2'

1997 Dauntless DC 17ft

bob camire
Posted on 04/25/16 - 4:20 PM

finally got into the pivot arm issue..as merc rep directed..degrease, chip all loose rust off..wire brush..clean it up..apply rust converter by rustoleum..two coats..then 2 coats of rustoleum paint for sealer..thank God i found enough metal (cast) to work with, or i would have had to make decisions of replacing or repowering... yes it lives in the ocean..five months per year..tough job, but as u all know..its well worth it

Walt Krafft
Posted on 04/26/16 - 1:35 PM

Took the boat for its first sea trial after 25 years of barn storage and a 2 year refit. Woo-Hoo!

bob camire
Posted on 04/27/16 - 7:00 PM

walt, what whaler do u have...howd it go

bob camire
Posted on 04/27/16 - 7:10 PM

bottom paint touch up yesterday

Walt Krafft
Posted on 04/27/16 - 7:44 PM

I bought the boat new in 1981. 17' Sport. Fished hard in Lake Michigan until 1988 when I moved to Arkansas. Put the boat in the barn and didn't move it until 2 years ago when a farm project needed the space it was in. It had been covered the whole time and the cover was in good shape so I wasn't worried. When I took the cover off I discovered the pack rats, cats, coons, wasps, dirt daubers, snakes, and birds were using it for a house. All wood and wiring was destroyed. The gas tanks were rusted out. Hoses, steering cable and shift cables were chewed up. The hull was dirty but in excellent shape. The 1985 Evinrude with only 180 hours was full of rat s___. I completely stripped the hull, buffed it out, changed the tubes, filled holes. Mounted the motor on a jack plate. Rebuilt the lower unit and carbs. Added a center console and rear casting platform. Completely rewired including the motor harness. Hope to get a album put together. Sea trial went well. Motor runs fine. The bass and walleye on Bull Shoals are in trouble.

Jeffrey Stone
Posted on 05/01/16 - 6:41 PM
Personal Page

1979 Revenge V-22 Custom Twin 1996/97 155 Johnson OceanRunner Series

G&J,

For the last 3 seasons since I took ownership I have been running off external tanks and mixing manually. From what I gather the VRO pumps for the oil also are the fuel pumps. The VRO pumps are still on the engines and act as pumps from the external (or internal) tanks I have been utilizing. The boat is equipped with both of the original oil tanks, although I had the VRO lines disconnected and pugged at the motor as well as disconnected the auditory oil alarms as I know the fuel is mixed appropriately. I also disconnected the rev limiter system as it was still sensing oil shortage on my initial sea trial and the engines would not rev over +/-1500 RPM.

From what I gather the VRO side of the pumps is a VERY common failure which results in the loss of many a two stroke with oil injection from the 96-97 Johnson era, additionally the pumps are almost $500 each, wholesale, without installation. Bulk 2 stroke oil can be purchased in 5 gallon pails, so my thought/idea is to fill the tank to capacity, after pressure testing, with mixed fuel. I am still trying to come up with ideas, (and would love some input) as to how I will calculate how much oil to add before re-filling as the sending unit doesn't appear to work and the nuts attaching it to the aluminum tank are looking pretty crappy. Don't want to over or under mix, nor over fill the tank!

Any thoughts on that?

I was successful in pumping out the tank! I monitored what was coming out and in the end I had 1- 1&1/2 gal water, 4-5 gallons of mixed water/gas, then +/-17 gal of somewhat decent smelling old gas, before I reached the 6 gal I had mixed and added, came out nice and blue tint and smelled good. Everything was layered as one would expect after having the boat stationary over the winter allowing for adequate time for separation to occur. In any event I have eliminated +/- 140 lbs of weight, so if I do continue to just run external tanks I have at least lightened the load of fuel which has had uneven weight distribution in the stern (my aux tanks are under the rear bench seat and I also carried an additional 22 gallons in cans stored to the stern for a total aux capacity of 34 gal).

I am contemplating adding in 6 more gal of mixed fuel and pulling her around town on the trailer for a while to slosh it well, then pumping that out and implementing a two stage Raycore filter system to keep any foreign particles which may remain in the main tank from reaching the engines. An additional obstacle is the fact that I have the only Revenge I can find any info on that has an aluminum tank, so until it is filled, I have no idea what the capacity is. (I may be biting off more than I can chew with this whole operation but at least the tank will be flushed and empty!) Can't find the stencil # on this hull suggestions as to where to look?

Thoughts on that?

John, I found the same "foam" type padding near the sending unit and can see orange "spray" type foam at the stern end of the tank, under the hatch cover as I saw in your personal page pictures. At some point someone added a through hull port and starboard that drain from the stern most compartments into the "fish well". Gary from I believe CA, commented on the "Have you seen one like..." tread and has a shutterfly link to the restoration pictures of his 79 Revenge, his gas tank was sucked concave! (again a poly tank) Here's the link https://garys22revenge.shutterfly.com/ On WC he goes by steelhead55. He's done what appears to be a great restoration job on his boat!

It seems I am certainly putting a lot of effort a boat I am supposed to be selling! Ha Ha! Can anyone say Whaler addiction?!? ;o)

Would love to hear your thoughts and comments guys!
Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Stone on 05/01/16 - 6:49 PM
Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

Jeffrey Stone
Posted on 05/01/16 - 7:15 PM
Personal Page

Took her for a nice ride around the neighborhood, on the trailer, 15 miles, swashed the tank with new mixed fuel/cleaning additives l sucked it out into waste container and it came out nice and clean! Aluminum tank.

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

bob camire
Posted on 05/04/16 - 6:10 PM

installed a doel fin hydrofoil on the engine...will see how it improves bow rise..hopefully stay on plane at lower rpms also..will see soon

ClevelandBill
Posted on 05/05/16 - 4:35 AM
Personal Page

Each night after dinner, for about a week, I've done little things to my 2015 150 Super Sport, which was in the water ONCE, before trailering her home and the tinkering began ...

Brand new boat. Drilled holes in the bench seat for installation of the Whaler Helm Seats. Drilled holes in the cooler for its cushion. Cut a hole in the console for a Blue Sea Systems fused switch panel. Tore out the cheap cupholders and ordered deeper stainless replacements. Glued about a dozen wire tie mounts, and screwed in a half dozen others. Added a negative bus bar and a master switch for the panel. Cut a hole in the console for depth finder cables, and for its mounting bracket. Added a dual USB charger outlet (from Blue Sea) in the hole where the 12V outlet had been, moved 12V outlet to a new hole just above the old one. Installed compass. Installed under-seat LED deck lights. Oh, caulked the gap between console and the inside wall of the boat ... something that should have been done at the factory.

Now ready for re-wiring, the right way. And the weather is about to break here along Lake Erie, so I'm right on time.

Edited by ClevelandBill on 05/05/16 - 4:37 AM
ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

Graffix1977
Posted on 05/05/16 - 2:57 PM

On my 1999 Conquest 21 I replaced a 40amp breaker, refurbished the seaboard in the dash and in it I installed a new stereo and a Garmin 741xs. I was bummed to find out that there is no adapter to connect my existing transducer to the unit. That will have to wait for when I pull her out of the ocean over Memorial Day to take her camping with us at Sebago Lake!

Justin

holy_crap
Posted on 05/05/16 - 3:21 PM
Personal Page

Began installing a raw water wash down on my 2013 190 Outrage. Oddly enough, this model does not have it as an option from the factory.

bob camire
Posted on 05/05/16 - 3:37 PM

A LOT OF WORK going on here...very cool and educational as well !

Jeffrey Stone
Posted on 05/05/16 - 6:01 PM
Personal Page

Justin,
Glad to hear you are boating on Sebago! The cords rarely match out to the transducers and such when swapping unless they are pretty close in yr/mk/model electronics.
Good luck!

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 2:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.48 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,693,129 unique visits