View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Considering used Boston Whaler
Brad1
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/12 - 4:02 PM

Comments: 0

Hello. Just joined the forum. I'm starting to look for a new (to me) boat and one particular boat / model that is of particular interest to me is a Boston Whaler Ventura 18. I know Boston Whaler no longer makes this model, and I am only interested in buying used anyway.

Although I am an experienced boater (I've owned 7 boats over the past 31 yrs. Recently sold my 2003 Grady White 226), I have little knowledge of Boston Whaler boats. I know they have a tremendous reputation, they're unsinkable, and I have a basic understanding of the concept of the uni-bond construction.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA where there aren't many Whalers. About 6 yrs ago, I was on vacation and I saw a Boston Whaler dealership and I stopped to take a look at a Boston Whaler close up. I climbed around on a 23 Conquest and a 21 Ventura and was extremely impressed with how solid (and big) both boats felt.

I was wondering if there are any potential issues with Boston Whaler hulls that I should be on the lookout for. Do they have wood in the transoms? I've heard of older Whalers being "water logged", but for all I know, that is just an urban legend. Seems like there are lot of older Whalers still going strong. That's a solid indication to me that they were made well. Are they still built as solidly?

As I mentioned, I don't know alot about them other than they seem like very nice boats. ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brad

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/12 - 4:08 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

We have several members with different size Ventura models.

Here is one member with a 1999 Ventura 18'
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...er_id=9660

The above configuration is a bow rider and family boat model as opposed to a center console fishing models like a Montauk or Outrage.

I'm sure other Ventura owners will give you their opinion.

Brad1
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/12 - 4:23 PM

Thanks Joe.

You bring up an interesting point and something I'm trying to figure out about the Ventura 18. Is the hull of the Ventura 18 more like the dauntless, or the outrage, or something in between? Specifically, I'm wondering what the transom deadrise of the Ventura 18 is.

For the cold, rainy days we get around here, I want the protection that a dual console with front and side curtains can provide.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/12 - 4:41 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

There are 2 basic hulls.
1. Classic hull
2. Accutrack hull

Depending on model and size, the Accutrack hull started approximately in 1993 to 1996 for many models... some Classic hull models lasted until 2001/2002 but not many...

You can buy canvas for almost all models.
Here is an Outrage 20' in our Photo Albums section with full shelter.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=42

Edited by Joe Kriz on 03/04/12 - 4:42 PM

gusgus
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/12 - 11:53 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Hi Brad1
I am so new to all of this stuff, but I have been around boats my entire childhood. Which is a few decades back. So please if I steer you wrong I apologize in advance.
The transoms do have wood in them and also wood in the floor sections. The wood seems to provide an anchor for fasteners in the floor and added strength as well as rigidity.
My boat has water in the hull foam, it came in from an all to familiar point. The drain tubes which are positioned in the forward anchor well (my trouble) and the bilge well on the right of my Outrage. I removed the corroded tubes and let the boat drip for about 4 months now. It has stopped dripping, but I know it is far from dry. There are also 3 tubes thru the transom which could be resulting in transom rot. I seem to have a good transom and good aft tubes. But for my ease of mind I am replacing them. There are of course many issues associated with an aged boat, corrosion of metal parts and such, but depending on the boat it could be perfect, we see those come by here quite often actually. Great luck to you, I'll be waiting for a picture or 10 of your new floater.

1987 Outrage 18 W/150 Merc and 8 Honda

frtdog540
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/12 - 5:11 AM

I love the Ventura! I have had my 1999 for 10 years and I am going to put it on the market soon to buy a new 180 Ventura..My kids are getting bigger and more "friends" are joining us at the lake on the weekends so I'm going to purchase the newer hull with the bench seat across the back. I have found a few leftover 2009's (Dont like the price, 45K+) but I figure it will be the last boat I buy..My Ventura has a 2001 175 hp Evinrude DI that has never had a problem! I also have a cottage back in Eastern Canada and I have an 1982 Whaler Newport that I have had since new and also repowered it with a 115 DI. I must be the luckiest guy in America(and Canada!) because the only thing I have done to the motors in the last 10 years is change the water pump and gear oil every year..The Ventura is a heavy, very stable hull that feels alot bigger then the 18.6' boat it really is..If you have any interest in seeing pictures, please feel free to contact me and I will send them out..If you have any other questions about the Ventura, fire away!!

VenturaDude
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/16 - 4:46 PM

Hi! I just bought a 2001 Ventura 18 with a 2011 Optimax 150. I'm pretty excited. The boat has been used for years as a rental, so while that means it has a lot of hours, it also means it was maintained daily.

It looks a little worse for wear, the glass is a little loose, the cushions are warn, and there are some scuffs on the hull, but overall the boat looks good, and the motor is not that old. I haven't gotten it out on the water yet, but if anybody has input on the Ventura, how to fix it up, how to restore it, what are some nice add-ons, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/16 - 5:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

VenturaDude,
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard WhalerCentral.

Boston Whaler has a list of parts and options on their website for the newer models.
They list it under Ventura 180 but the drawing is correct as it shows it as a Ventura 18' which is what it was called up until 2002.
http://whalerparts.com

Here are a couple pages to look at.
Parts list for boat model 2001 18' Ventura:
http://whalerparts.com/Diagrams/2001/...180VT6.pdf

Diagram for 18' Ventura outfit/options:
http://whalerparts.com/Diagrams/2001/...180VT5.pdf

JSMaxwell
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/16 - 9:44 AM

I have a 2000 Ventura 21. Looks like you are in good share with a 5yr old motor, especially if it was well maintained. The rest of that stuff can be replaced if you feel like it; all it takes is money.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 2:18 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,700,598 unique visits